Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOLOL Kathy

Sushi's gonna get in trouble looking at my legs.

And for the record, I only lost one leg, not legS.

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> ROFL

What a hoot to laugh about that now. Not funny at the time; the man who's leg I lost was not laughing for sure. Neither was my boss when she fired my pitiful self.

Just dropping in to note:

Jimi Hendrix died 35 years ago today!

Gawd, does that make me feel like an old man 'er what? Where in the hell did 35 years go?

I remember singing along with his "Band of Gypsies" album (on my eight-track) while tooling around town in my red '53 GMC panel truck. Damn, I miss that truck. Whatta ride.

If it hadn't been for the drug-induced insanity, Jimi would have probably become one of the all-time great jazz guitarists. Instead, he's fading into obscurity (despite the building in town which he inspired, the ugliest building in the world, near as I can tell. Gawd, from the air it looks like a crushed beer can). He was just one of many victims of the "live for today" mindset that, maybe too many of us took to some real bizarre extremes.

What a shame...

Yep, it's too bad Jimi had to die so young. Most people think of him only as a psychodelic rocker, but his early stuff was all blues. And damn good, too!

OK, gonna do something different. I normally post themes to movies or tv shows that I like. This time I'm gonna post a couple to shows that I really hated.

The first one, really had no redeeming qualities other than a couple realy cute chics. It shared it's name with a movie however, that was so corny it was funny! Click

The next one was a show I REALLY hated, but I must have been in the minority, cause it ran for quite a long time. Some of us had our own name for this show, but it isn't polite to say in mixed company. icon_smile.gif:)--> Click HERE and tell us. Either you liked it or hated it!

Now some of you will kill me for this next one, once it's stuck in your head and you can't make it stop! Hey, anyone here remember the Amazing Sea Monkeys From Mars thread? icon_smile.gif:)--> Click

And last, but not least, HERE is a song that anyone over 35 (ok, maybe 40) HAS to recognize. Se what was the song, and who was the group?

Dang, I think this is the longest post I've ever made on Greasespot. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick

quote:
Originally posted by George Aar:

Just dropping in to note:

Jimi Hendrix died 35 years ago today!

Gawd, does that make me feel like an old man 'er what? Where in the hell did 35 years go?

I remember singing along with his "Band of Gypsies" album (on my eight-track) while tooling around town in my red '53 GMC panel truck. Damn, I miss that truck. Whatta ride.

If it hadn't been for the drug-induced insanity, Jimi would have probably become one of the all-time great jazz guitarists. Instead, he's fading into obscurity (despite the building in town which he inspired, the ugliest building in the world, near as I can tell. Gawd, from the air it looks like a crushed beer can). He was just one of many victims of the "live for today" mindset that, maybe too many of us took to some real bizarre extremes.

What a shame...

Geo,

Your 35 years must have picked up my 35 years hitching along the way as it headed off towards somewhere.

And I agree with you and Rick on the different things said about Hendrix. But to me he is still alive and well so I hadn't noticed he was fading away as much I reckon. But the point of what some of the greats did with their bodies back then was tragic at times, his being one of them by dying. We could do a list of who did die young for such things but egad wouldn't that be rather a bummer list to look at.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick,

No clue on the first one. The second one sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it (Simon and Simon, Rhoda, some other fluffy, pointless sitcom?)

And naturally The Monkees, and then "Suite:Judy Blue Eyes" by C,S,&Nash (before they were joined by that marginal (and incredibly overrated) "talent" N. Young.

quote:
Originally posted by George Aar:

...joined by that marginal (and incredibly overrated) "talent" N. Young.

WHEW WAIT A MINUTE....

Its rare that I do this but....I must respectfully disagree

Young was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1982. He has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice; first in 1995 for his solo work and again in 1997 as a member of the Buffalo Springfield.

He has also directed three movies, under his pseudonym Bernard Shakey: Journey Through the Past (1979), Human Highway (1982) (starring new wave band Devo), and Greendale (2003).

He is one of the founders of Farm Aid, and remains on their board of directors. Each year on a weekend in October in Mountain View, California, he and his wife host the Bridge School Concerts, which have been drawing international talent and sell-out crowds for nearly two decades. The concerts are a benefit for the Bridge School, which develops and uses advanced technologies to aide in the instruction of handicapped children.

Young owns Vapor Records, who have signed such artists as Jonathan Richman, Tegan and Sara and Catatonia. Since 1995 he has been part owner of Lionel, LLC, a company which makes toy trains and railroads.

In a "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" list in the June 1996 issue of Mojo magazine, Young was ranked number 9.

And anyone who is unlucky enough to relate to THIS has to understand the depth and courage of his Genius. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I gotta go with George on this one. Perhaps not quite as far, but, nonetheless. He may be a good songwriter, even a good guitar player, but the thing that puts the monkey wrench in the works is his voice. Worse than fingernails on a chalkboard.

And I'll even admit to some fuzzy logic here. While I don't particularly care for Neil Young (and for that matter, Bob Dylan), I like Harry Chapin. There are times when I think Jackson Browne doesn't really have a great voice either (Sorry, Radar icon_biggrin.gif:D-->)

quote:
When I finally get myself together

I'm going to get down in that sunny southern weather

And I find a place inside to laugh

Separate the wheat from the chaff

I feel like I owe it to someone

That was a verse from a song I took into school one day as a show and tell sort of thing on the times. It was a hippie moment okay. confused.gif And I didn't bring the whole song here cause today it looks a tad dorky. But in the day (my in the day) he spoke for me to some degree if I chose to take that song I reckon. That was so long ago, something about those 35 years that Geo mentioned earlier.

That was wild how you both said that at the same time 1Knames and SaintGeorge.

And now you went and said it 1Knames. You know how much Rick loves Harry Chapin don't ya.

Wasway, your knowledge of the man impressed me dude. So what ya think of our weather? Is it incredible at night or what! icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
The next one was a show I REALLY hated, but I must have been in the minority, cause it ran for quite a long time. Some of us had our own name for this show, but it isn't polite to say in mixed company.

That's "Cagney & Lacey." I used to watch it every now and then, not every week. Cagney was OK, but Lacey was kind of irritating. She's still pretty much the same character in "Judging Amy."

No idea what that first one might be.

Cagney and Lacy, that's it! Yeah, the "Lacy" part of the equation is one I never got either.

I think about as much of her as I do of Neil Young. That is, not much.

There was a little homage to NY on PBS yesterday. Here he was trotting out his best stuff, and gawd, it just didn't measure up, sorry.

Of course then, I never thought much of Frank Sinatra or Judy Garland either, so maybe he's in good company...