GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Here's the answer about 'It's About Time"

It was originally about 2 astronauts who found themselves back in caveman days (cavemen including Imogene Coca and Joe E Ross, -the comedian who always went ooh! ooh!

About half a season in, it was decided to reverse the situation and they brought the astronauts (Jack Mullaney and Frank Aletter), back to the present along with the cave family.

The theme song was revised to describe the trip from the past to the future. Sudo recalled the original version, and Kathy played the second version.

All clear?

Didn't help. it was cancelled after one season anyway.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathy.. yes, I watched that show but they must have changed the intro's words because I distinctly remember the lyrics saying ".. about two men in the strangest place". Say.. does everyone have 4th of July plans?? I'm taking Monday AND Tuesday off at the office. Don't have to go back until Thursday so I'll be pretty useless when I DO get back. :blink:
sudo
I remember that version also and Hiwayman explained why that would be. I wondered about that but again I honestly did leave the area of the sound if something I couldn't stand came on and I honestly can't stand this theme. But I make peas for dinner and I hate em. :unsure:
Here's the answer about 'It's About Time"It was originally about 2 astronauts who found themselves back in caveman days (cavemen including Imogene Coca and Joe E Ross, -the comedian who always went ooh! ooh!About half a season in, it was decided to reverse the situation and they brought the astronauts (Jack Mullaney and Frank Aletter), back to the present along with the cave family.The theme song was revised to describe the trip from the past to the future. Sudo recalled the original version, and Kathy played the second version. All clear?Didn't help. it was cancelled after one season anyway.
I do recall Imogene Coca and must admit she fascinated me. She was not like everyone else, she had a different beat IMHO.

Okay Sudo, I hadn't listened to your version when I posted, forgive me, it has been a long week. I don't hate your version. But I don't like it either. :(

Tonight our neighbor came home late to tell of a special visitor having affected his work rather directly.

The neighbor owns a landscaping company and was doing one of his clients today when he was approached by someone from next door telling him he would probably want to be done and away from there by this certain time. The house next door was expecting a visitor and it was going to necessitate they close down that area for a short time in transition. So he pushed as to who was this important person who was going to be there for a fundraiser, as he looked past the man speaking to him to see tents being put up and loads of activity. He was in time told Pres Bush was the important visitor and that was why he needed to have his self loaded up and moved down the road. It still caused him to be quite late due to the traffic he approached that was part of the back up apparently.

He said that don't happen everyday. But he was going to write him a note about the back up he causes in our area when he visits. :)

(oops)(I accidently started calling my neighbor by first name)(don't let me make any decisions tonight)

Edited by ChattyKathy

Kathy, Why did you do an "embarrassed" face? Because you didn't know it was on radio or something? Hey! I found the radio version. The flautist is very good but then its a professional Hollywood musician performing, I'm sure. Click HERE! We are all too young to remember the radio version, of course, but my dad remembers it well.
sudo
That version was delightful! I've heard that one before I'm sure. Thank you for that, it'll go in my library. I'm working towards where I left off.

Say.. does everyone have 4th of July plans?? I'm taking Monday AND Tuesday off at the office. Don't have to go back until Thursday so I'll be pretty useless when I DO get back. :blink:

sudo

I'm working Monday but the offices close at 3 firm, everyone out. It's simply beautiful outside so today a day trip to see the countryside and stop at a couple places along the way. I can't get the hunt out of me that has been there for years of vintage shopping for mainly work. But I have an early evening thing that makes me have to come back rather than make it longer than a day. Things are working as to other things but I don't quite know that yet. I hope to sleep. This seems boring. Good! That's what I need. :)

Hiway29,

That indeed sounds like a great time! How much are Dodger Dogs now-a-days?? We have a minor league baseball team here in Memphis and its still reasonable enough for a working class family to go to a ball game. But then our players aren't making the big bucks. We have a facility that's only a few years old that is designed ideally for comfort and amenities. There's been talk about getting a major league team but that would destroy the family atmosphere we have now.

Re:"What more can you ask for on a 4th of July."

I simply can't argue with that, my man. But if some one's NOT going to the ball field, they might consider watching an old patriotic movie. Click HERE! and name the singers. The lady might stump more of you.

Oh, and Kathy.. I was going to post this for you yesterday but alas.. you had no speakers anyways. Click HERE! I actually like this version better than ELP's!

sudo

P.S. What a co-incidence, Kathy.. we had Bush and Koizumi in twon yesterday, too! Seems Koizumi is a real Elvis fan.

That's 'Harrigan' from 'Yankee Doodle Dandy', with the immortal james Cagney singing.

I don't recall who the female is, but I remember Frances Langford was in the film so I'll take a guess.

Dodger Dogs go up every year. I'm embarassed to admit I don't remember what they cost, though I've bought at least a dozen so far this year. Somewhere between 3.75 and 4.50, and more for a 'super dodger dog' which I don't buy.

With the high prices for dogs, peanuts, and soda, (don't even ask about beer), I just bite the bullet and hand over a 20 hoping to see some change, and so the actual price is not ingrained in my mind.

Peanuts are worth buying from Roger the peanut vendor though. He's been at Dodger Stadium since it opened in '62 and specializes in tossing your peanuts from behind his back 15 or 20 rows away. He's more accurate than most of the Dodger pitchers.

Hiway29,

Hey!! You're 'sposed to be at least a tad subtle here. Now everyone knows it! :(

Kathy.. so you haven't heard the tune I posted for you, eh? I think you'll like it! Ah! The things I do for all the Nostalgiacs. You know.. I think I've posted Harrigan every 4th of July. Rick and Wasway would know it in about, like, two notes.

sudo (who misses Rick and Wasway hanging around here)

Oh, and Kathy.. I was going to post this for you yesterday but alas.. you had no speakers anyways. Click HERE! I actually like this version better than ELP's!
sudo
P.S. What a co-incidence, Kathy.. we had Bush and Koizumi in twon yesterday, too! Seems Koizumi is a real Elvis fan.
It catches ya and holds on, I like it Sudo. Thanks! :) Well Memphis is linked to Elvis ain't it? My dad saw him in concert if at all possible up until the last one. They had jammed together before Elvis was anyone. Although dad said he always considered him someone from the first time they played and sang together when he was like a wide eyed puppy taking in everything around him. I'd not thought of that for years, just came to mind what dad said about him. He mourned his death, but he'd began mourning him before he died because of the incredible influence the drugs he was on had on him. Dad said on one of his last concerts he just laid down on the stage and sang. He was sad to see such a talent destroyed.And I didn't know the female of that link either but it's familiar. Today was beautiful even though it turned quite warm. It was the kind of weather where you just go aaaaaahhhhh :) Sudo, why is it all jammed together because I turn the html on? :blink: (edits :realmad: )(don't give me scissors)(lmao) Edited by ChattyKathy

I haven't contributed anything of late, so here goes. :biglaugh:

My apologies if I've asked this before, but who is the female lead?

For bonus points, name the person doing the 'play by play' near the end of the middle.

HERE!

That's just not right, it worked the FIRST time !!!

But I have an early evening thing that makes me have to come back rather than make it longer than a day. Things are working as to other things but I don't quite know that yet."

sounds like an exciting evening to me!! "

maybe love in the air???

cubbies fan

Edited by kyhills

Love in the air is a cool thing. :wink2:

Welcome to our neck of the woods. We love folks joining us, and when they hang around that makes it even nicer. hint hint

This is a cool place to hang out, sometimes just if you need a break from the serious subject matter in About The Way section.

Sushi,

I remember it well! I was the health department dentist for Hardeman county Tennessee. A backwoods county if ever there was one and there wasn't a decent radio station around. I was in my car coming home from work listening to the news on one of the least objectionable stations available. After the news, I usually just turned the radio off but didn't this time when they started playing this song. It was Spring of 1978. I wasn't really listening to it at first but after a bit I started to get the gist of the story.

I couldn't believe it.. this guy was singing about my love life when I was a teenager. Hee-hee! I burst out laughing in the car when he got to the part where he's now waiting for the end of time :biglaugh: !!!

sudo

For those anxiously awaiting the answer, it is Ellen Foley, the FIRST public defender on "Night Court". Yes, before Markie Post there was ANOTHER public defender, though admittedly, Markie Post was much easier to look at.

All you guys that have to work today.... BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I'm at home taking it easy!! :dance:

And I'm in the mood for a little patriotic stuff for some reason. I've several I can post but first up is a version of the Star Spangled Banner I hadn't heard before. Click HERE! and tell me if that singer isn't *GOOD* or what! Sent chills up my spine like the first time I heard Whitney Houston's version. Let me know yay or nay.. I've gots more that ya'll might like!

sudo