The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it from C&C (not that I would have any idea what the song was talking about :rolleyes:)?

Well, me either, of course. Joint? What's that? :biglaugh:

But the movie was a classic from uh, 67...maybe? I haven't looked up the year, so I'm not really sure...might have been later than that.

Rick

George,

Re:"Before Sudo gets upset, I agree with Rick. I think it's Spock singing country..."

Me?? Upset about what?? That ya'll got it?? :eusa_clap: . You guys are right.. its pointy ears hisveryownself singing. And I agree with you George.. its not that bad... really. Kathy.. girl.. I'm happy for you. Satisfaction in the work place goes a long ways but now that the weekend is here... time to catch up. Maybe post a few??

Rick! It was good talking to you this afternoon. I knew your song right off but wasn't sure which movie it came from. I guessed... googled.. and was correct BTW :rolleyes: . But I have one question.. we all know what "bogart" means, right? But where the heck did that term come from? Something to do with Humphrey perhaps?

And like I told you I would do.. here's my all time favorite big band tune done by Benny Goodman. I first heard it in a cartoon. A bunch of cannibals (with rings in their noses and hair tied up with a bone) were dancing around the proverbial pot containing missionary du jour. Great tune! I decided to post the large MP3 because I know you'll have no trouble hearing it with your broadband connection. Click HERE! And tell me... isn't that a great song? Oh.. and that IS the famous Gene Krupa on the drums! And were we talking about bogarting? You KNOW Krupa got caught bogarting didn't you?? :biglaugh:

sudo

Y'all I'm stuck in that link of Rick's, when I can stop playing it I'll catch up.

Okay, I'll stop replaying the thing and get serious. ^_^

I started at where I'd left off this time, normally I go backwards so I haven't gotten past..yeah I already said it.

Sudo,

On the first song I I never would have guessed it. It seems a lot of actors can sing or play instruments with some forming bands. I'll have to post again when I get to you next post okay.

Rick,

I never knew of Syd Barrett's life before just reading about it, what a tragic one. And this song means something more to me now. Your choice was on the mark.

I have to get caught up now.

(oh screw it, you don't see two I's do ya)

Rick,

Are we talking about motorcycles, and I saw a female riding a Harley alone. You don't see that much. I caught up with her so I could ride along side and give the bike my respects and she caught my eye and smiled and I shot her the peace sign. Black with white accents, very nice bike.

TOTW,

Well I've already ran over the big guy causing someone's food to hit the wall (I still say that guy was following the boss way too closely) and called 911 on myself having the police show up and ran into a moving rack of clothing in the distribution center trying to out walk it, well heck I didn't see Hercules in the back pushing it either. In other words I've danced in my bathrobe a few times.

What a show that was, I've not watched it this year once.

Anyway, getting serious here, which seems a choir chore for some reason.

Sudo,

Listening now, be right back.

(uh huh, glasses maybe)

Edited by ChattyKathy

"In other words I've danced in my bathrobe a few times. "

Well. Kathy, at least you've really lived!!!!

Season Seven was a tough one, because it dealt primarily with the Presidential Campaign, and they moved the show to Sunday night. Jimmy Smits was great eye candy, but you still had to be devoted to the show to watch it.

The last shows were tough, because they had to deal with John Spencer's death and the show's cancellation. I got the feeling that, except where they dealt with his death, the rest was just a rush to tie up story lines and get off the set.

I am going to miss it. Enjoy the new office!

Excerpted from WordOrigins.org:

"Several people have emailed me asking how Humphrey Bogart's name became associated with a term meaning selfishness. Ah, how soon we forget the intricacies of '60s drug culture. The selfish connotation comes from hogging a marijuana cigarette. Someone who kept the joint in their mouth, hanging from their lip like Bogey, would be bogarting the joint. Instead of bogarting, one should pass it on to another. The term can be used for hoarding items other than pot."

Sudo,

I admit this is a delightful song. And I remember that cartoon and enjoying it because it was so different. It would be as good today I bet. Well at least for you and I it would be. :)

No way would I have known that to be Leonard Nimoy.

Krupa getting caught bogarting is too funny in this context. :biglaugh:

I agree Jimmy Smits is easy on the eyes and I really enjoyed him in LA Law and NYPD Blue, more so the later.

I lost interest with all the campaigning. As much as I liked seeing Alan Alda it just lost me and I had no real interest in checking it out. And Leo's death, the real man, well I cried for him.

You are very close to the truth there, I have lived some life. And some has been dancing. :)

A good friend of mine worked on the show. He invited me over, we had lunch in the commisary and then toured the stages where Next Generation was being filmed.

From Picard's chair to the screen is less than 10 feet probably 6 or seven.

:redface:

I missed your post, gosh.

So it was funner for us to imagine what was in front of them while acting than what really was. :unsure:

Can you tell us anything else you found interesting. That must have been cool IMHO.

(edits, maybe I need new glasses)

Edited by ChattyKathy

A moment of seriousness if you will suffer me.

I've relatives that would consider this the end times. For Israel to act in such a way would in their minds fit some prophecy they held. There are other points I really have tried to forget that bolsters their claim of the time being near.

I don't think anyone knows what that will look like and absolutely no one knows when it will happen.

Yet I worry for my youngest of 4 nephews (serving) in Germany awaiting his trip to Iraq. Something most unsettling happened and we don't know why and it has both Mom and me having to pull out all the stops to not succumb to fear. (his mother, my sister, died when he was a child) His entire team went ahead to the location they were stationed to and his orders were suddenly changed and as of yet we don't understand what that means.

This isn't the prayer or political forum I realize but I don't want to make a deal of just needing to say this so choose my hang out to do it, not the first and won't be the last time. :unsure:

Please when you pray for the things important to you pray for my nephews, especially this youngest.

Kathy,

Maybe a gospel song or two is in order? I don't get on your case for bringing your concerns here, my dear. And times are perilous for those of us with family in the military. We haven't done gospel here before (I don't think) so now is a good time. But since this is the Nostalgia thread.. Click HERE! and see if you know the very famous singer who sang at Martin Luther King Jr.'s funeral. Click HERE! for one of my favorites.

sudo

Consider it done, Kathy. I've been praying since this thing began three days ago.We've seen eruptions like this happen before: for all our sakes, let's pray it ends like the others have, if the Lord tarries, with peace.
(((TOTW)))
Kathy, Maybe a gospel song or two is in order? I don't get on your case for bringing your concerns here, my dear. And times are perilous for those of us with family in the military. We haven't done gospel here before (I don't think) so now is a good time. But since this is the Nostalgia thread.. Click HERE! and see if you know the very famous singer who sang at Martin Luther King Jr.'s funeral. Click HERE! for one of my favorites.
sudo
Sudo,I loved the second, it reminds me of that other you know I love. But I'm sorry to say I didn't care for the first. :( Thank you for replying to my concern in posting. And your understanding was evident in your choice of music. Thank you Sudo.

OK...Kathy's motorcycle reference tells me she must know the movie that featured Don't Bogart That Joint, My Friend.....does anyone else?

Rick

Hey, man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody who needs a haircut.

Oh, no. What you represent to them is freedom.

"Hey, man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody who needs a haircut.

Oh, no. What you represent to them is freedom."

HA! Oh lordy, one of the most pretentious, self-absorbed films of all time

I remember when it came out I thought it was the greatest thing to ever be committed to film, as did most all of my friends.

Were we WAAAAAAAYYY too full of our selves 'er what?

Oh, to be a kid again...

Rick,

Re:"..Kathy's motorcycle reference tells me she must know the movie that featured Don't Bogart That Joint, My Friend.....does anyone else?"

Let me ask a question.. is there a scene where Dennis, Peter and Jack are sitting around a campfire and that song (Don't Bogart that joint) is playing? Its been a long time so I'm sure I'm not remembering it exactly but seems... Jack had never participated in illegal drug activity before. Am I close??

sudo

P.S. Kathy.. I'm like you.. I just *love* that second song (Click HERE!) but that's because we have somewhat similar tastes in tunes. Do you know who the artist is in the FIRST one (Click HERE!) that you didn't care for?? She's very famous.