The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nobody wants extra points? :( Kathy was the only one who correctly named my movie.. click HERE! I was giving extra credit if anyone knew the musical score. No takers so far so I have to give hints.

See the picture below? If you don't know it, you can try 'properties'. But put your mouse on the picture and click on it.. the theme again pops up. The man who composed the theme died in his 30's but he is an an often overlooked musical genius, IMO!!!!! :realmad:

FINGAL'S CAVE

IN SUMMER 1772, a scientific expedition, sailing north to study the geological riddles of Iceland, found itself becalmed off the west coast of Scotland, near the island of Mull. When the group, led by Sir Joseph Banks of the Royal Society, came ashore, they heard tales of a spectacular natural cathedral rising from the seas. As they waited for a favourable wind, with nothing much better to do, they found fishermen willing to row them through the night to the isle of Staffa.

"As the first light of day stole over the ruins of nature's own antiquity," wrote Banks, "this cave's classic order of symmetry - its simplicity of style stretching back into a twilight gloom - the play of reflected light, the echo of the measured surge rising and falling, the transparent green of the water, the profound and fairy solitude of the whole scene - could not fail to impress any mind gifted with a sense of beauty in art or nature."

Pillars of rock, stacked like colonnades of Classical columns, retreated before them into a dark vault worthy of ancient Rome. The cave's rocky canopy arched above, like the ribs of a Gothic cathedral. Nature had fused the Classic and the Gothic into one harmonious whole. "Compared to this," asked Banks, "what are the cathedrals or the palaces built by men... where now is the boast of the architect?" Where indeed?

Through the happy accident of a calm sea, what the locals had known for centuries the world now discovered as the architectural wonder of Fingal's Cave.

above.jpg

sudo

Weren't there actually FOUR hot babes, but only three at a time? (Kind of like the short version of "Charlie's Angels.")

That would be correct. They killed off the Shannon Doherty character when she bolted the show. It's not great art by any means, but it's kind of fun to watch. I mainly tune in to see Alyssa Milano, but then I'd probably watch her if she was reading the phone book.

I went down and picked up my daughter at Ole Miss Friday to bring her up for a weekend visit. She needed some of my cooking she said. I think she just missed us but I'm always glad to have her home anyways :) . She does Netflix and brought home a DVD of a movie we all used to watch years ago. I guess it was nostalgic for her.

So I copied it to the computer and am playing around with the files now. Here's a sound capture from our favorite part. If you know this Disney movie you might remember what is happening behind the music but the kids and I would all be up doing an Irish gig during this part. Click HERE! Does anyone know what is happening musically at the 31 second mark?

sudo