Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah yes, the infamous "Yakko Edobei"

The artist of that print is the inscrutable "Sharaku", an Edo-era print designer who showed up in 1794, made prints for about 8 months or so, and promptly dropped out of sight. Nobody can quite figure out who he was, where he came from, or whatever became of him. There's numerous theories, but nobody really knows for sure.

His prints were not really appreciated at the time, but about a century later western scholars discovered him and his fame finally spread. He was sort of an overnight success, but about a century after he'd died.

Anyway, this particular print is of the kabuki character "Yakko Edobei". A "Yakko" is a footman. A servant of a lord, but in this case it has a somewhat darker connotation. More like a mob boss' underling who "took care" of things for his boss. Here Yakko is plotting to steal money from the faithful servant Ippei. The crossed eyes and odd posture and gesture indicate that this is a "mie" (display), a highpoint of the Kabuki where the actor has a particularly emotionally intense moment...

Ah yes, the infamous "Yakko Edobei"

The artist of that print is the inscrutable "Sharaku", an Edo-era print designer who showed up in 1794, made prints for about 8 months or so, and promptly dropped out of sight. Nobody can quite figure out who he was, where he came from, or whatever became of him. There's numerous theories, but nobody really knows for sure.

His prints were not really appreciated at the time, but about a century later western scholars discovered him and his fame finally spread. He was sort of an overnight success, but about a century after he'd died.

Anyway, this particular print is of the kabuki character "Yakko Edobei". A "Yakko" is a footman. A servant of a lord, but in this case it has a somewhat darker connotation. More like a mob boss' underling who "took care" of things for his boss. Here Yakko is plotting to steal money from the faithful servant Ippei. The crossed eyes and odd posture and gesture indicate that this is a "mie" (display), a highpoint of the Kabuki where the actor has a particularly emotionally intense moment...

His whole character is animated to say what you described. Ever see the guys stuff sell, and if so what kind of money was it fetching?

Yikes!

An original Sharaku (that is, one printed from the original blocks, a print that would now be about 210 years old) in any kind of condition at all would easily bring 10s of thousands of dollars.

I saw a pretty nice one in the most recent Mita Arts Catalogue. It's listed at $120,000 U.S.

Reproductions (which is all I'm ever gonna be able to afford, I fear) can be had for 20 or 30 bucks on eBay...

Rick,

I think this would be an excellent opportunity to give us some really obscure hints. 'Ya see.. I think we all KNOW this show but can't quite place it at the moment. Then again.. since you didn't like it... maybe we didn't watch it either :rolleyes: .

sudo

Kathy,

I can't see the signature but that looks like a Kuniyoshi print. He's definitely wearing the garb of the "47 Ronin" (black and white, symbolizing the rising and setting of the sun, denoting absolute faithfulness) - a true story.

Kuniyoshi often did prints that didn't quite fit the mold of the accepted norm. He experimented with perspective and focal points and different looking faces - all somewhat rare in Ukiyo-e.

And yeah, Rick, how's about a hint?

Oh and yeah,

if I were like really disgustingly rich it would be fun to collect all 150 or so known Sharaku prints.

I don't know if it would be as fun as giving it away to those who could really use a hand, though.

Not to worry, I don't anticipate unwieldy wealth overtaking me anytime soon...

Clint Howard from Gentle Ben is indeed Ron's brother-though I still don't know if that's the theme in question here.

My favorite Clint Howard role is from Star trek when he was maybe 3 years old, playing Balok, an incredibly powerful, but peaceful ,alien.

Clint manages to get small roles in most every Ron Howard film-it's almost as much fun looking for Clint, as it is to catch the Alfred Hitchcock cameos, in Hitchcock films.