The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a regular MacDonald's hamburger was 28 cents. I used to get a gift certificate in the mail for my birthday (until I was 12!) that was good for a hamburger, an order of fries (there was only one size), or a milk shake. We always opted for the shake, since it was the most expensive choice, probably 45 cents!

George

We had a place called Royal Castle. They had tiny little burgers that were good for about 2 or 3 bites.You could buy them by the dozen if my memory serves me. They also featured a soft drink called Birch Beer which had a very distinctive flavor of its' own. They had gigantic cinamon rolls and freshly squeezed OJ. I don't remember the price of the burgers but it must have been about a dime each due to the small size.(This is not to be confused with White Castle which is a chain that is currently in business.)

Hello!!!!!

I hope everyone's having a great day. It was 71° yesterday but 29° right now. So what does one do on their day off and its chilly outside? If you're a Nostalgiac you post something you think folks would like. Click HERE! and see what my kids can't stand to watch :(. I recorded this movie because I had never seen it and when I sat my 15 year old down to watch it, he was totally bored in the first 10 seconds. Its in black and white after all. And I can't quite figure it out.

We loved these guys. Maybe, that's because we didn't have all the options of TV that kids have today? We loved the movies of the Bowery Boys, Abbott and Costello, The Three Stooges, Jungle Jim etc.. but kids today have no interest whatsoever in these things though they were dated even when WE watched them. We were kids though. We didn't KNOW they were dated.

So as not to give this clip totally away, you see the main characters walking up during the clip.. who was the producer? Aw, everyone knows who produced these movies (and he lived to a ripe old age dying not THAT long ago) or what fan club watches these films? Has something to do with the desert. And for those few of you (Hiway29 comes to mind) who might know the actual movie this was taken from... what foreign country is in the name of the film? :).

sudo

Since I've been guilty of revealing too much information, and spoiling Sudo's fun, I'll not answer the questions yet.

I am a member of 'the Sons of the Desert", which is more of an 'appreciation society' than a fan club, those maybe that's splitting hairs. It was co founded by one of the members of the team while he was still alive. Some of the more notable members being Dick Van Dyke, Orson Bean, Chuck McCann among others.

I think kids would still respond to these films if they give them half a chance. The 3 Stooges continue to be wildly popular, though most of their films were b+w and made on the cheap. Moe , Larry, and especially Curly still connect today (as well as the much maligned Shemp).

When the team in the clip were at their best, they were unbeatable, and I do worry that they, and others from that time are slipping out of public awareness. We had the advantage of much TV exposure, where today, you have to seek them out, and I'm not sure how to get new generations to do that outside of sitting them down and showing them. If they won't watch something just because it's b+w, then an awful lot of wonderful film history is going to vanish.

End of sermon.

Geeze guys..

I'm all out of stuff to post. Part of the problem is that so much is now available on the Internet that posting it here is rather ho-hum. Not a lot of interest. Fer instance.. Paw just sent me a lot of radio shows from the 40's. Good stuff. Lots of Christmas specials from the war years but... It was before our time and I don't want to bore folks. Remember.. this is a *FUN* thread. And has been for years now :) .

sudo

Anybody remember the LOWEST number they ever saw on a McDonald's sign?

IIRC, I saw a McDonald's in south Seattle with a "over 900 million sold" slogan on it's sign. I think that was about 1962 or so.

Also, IIRC, hamburgers were 15 cents at McD's then. And, yeah, the Big Mac didn't come out till lots later.

And they also only employed boys to work there. When did that end, anyhow?

"McDonalds is my kind of place(clap clap) they serve fried rattlesnakes---------"

OOPS---Sorry, I was just remembering how we rewrote their jingle for them.

I don't remember the numbers either but I seem to recall the sign originally said"xxxxxxSERVED".(not SOLD)

I wouldn't swear to it. It just seems that way.

We used to go there to hang out in the parking lot. The whole idea was to find a parking spot at the back of the lot and back in. ALWAYS back in. That way you had a clear view of whoever pulled in the lot. We parked 3 or 4 cars side by side and prepared ourselves for future rounds of "Name That Tune". You had to buy something to stay so hot chocolate was the #1 choice. It was cheap and because this was a wintertime activity it served a function of providing heat. Guys with "hot" cars used to drive around and around the parking lot in counterclockwise circles. We called them "piston heads." (A "head" was a person who was obsessed with something,later on it was specifically with drugs). We joked that their tires probably wore out twice as fast on the left side from driving around in circles. I wonder,too, if any of this would have happened if they had provided inside seating. All they had was a walk-up counter. It would be interesting to research whether tire sales figures dropped when they added inside dining.

A waitaminute, that can't be right, I actually remember the theme for the Patty Duke Show -

"But they're cousins,

Identical cousins and you'll find

they walk alike

they talk alike

you can lose your mind

when cousins

are two of a ki-innnd!"

Acck! That was really awful, wasn't it?

Jeezus, did anybody ever suggest euthanasia for the gimps that compose that sort of crap?

The world would be a better place...