GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

I'm confused,the picture of SRV shows him posing right handed,which he was.

BTW----The harmonica players' equivalent to playing "lefty" is called "upside down" since by inverting the instrument, the stamped hole numbers are indeed upside down. Bill Clarke played that way. So did Paul Butterfield and a host of other greats but it is really a moot point since it is just a matter of what you are used to and it has no effect on the sound or technique.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Waysider, I tried to find some comment regarding the left handed picture of him versus a right handed one but haven't found one. I did find this though which was of some interest I thought.

1987 Back to the Beach, original movie poster w/ SRV. Approx. 27x41, wildly colorful!! This is from Stevie's only Hollywood movie appearance, and he is pictured prominently on the poster.

There is some great footage of Stevie in "Austin City Limits" archives though I have absolutely no idea how to tap into it.Sorry. I guess that's a long way from "Back To The Beach".

Oh, the "lefty" thing. I was referring to Bluzemans' comment.( or should I say "agreeing" with it)

Just saw "In Search of the Castaways". It was a pretty good early 60's Disney adventure. Not on a par with "20000Leagues Under the Sea" or Darby O'Gill", but a nice adventure with some excellent special effects.

If you can accept an action adventure film with an elderly Maurice Chevalier as the heroic lead, then you can go with it. The record cover that Kathy posted "Enjoy It", is the tone of the movie. Maurice is having a grand time, as they escape earthquake, flood, fire, cannibals, jaguars, and other perils.

It's a fun time and would recommend it for those who like Disney films.

ha-no Sudo, that one is not on the market, though I do have a grainy copy of it from somewhere.

I don't find it really offensive, but then I'm not black, so it's not for me to say. I remember really liking that guy singing' zip a dee do da 'when I was a kid, and never thought about the race thing until I was told I should.

Saw this on "that other group":

Bono is at a U2 concert in Ireland when he asks the audience for some

quiet. Then in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands.

Holding the audience in total silence, he says into the

microphone.. ."Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

A voice from near the front of the audience pierces the

silence..."Fookin stop doing it then!"

I just heard a guy flogging his new book today on the radio. A biography of Walt Disney. It's got a little of the Jerry Springer stuff, it seems, dysfunctional childhood, abusive father, and that sorta stuff, and then the author goes off into psychoanalyzing a dead man, the obsession with manufacturing reality and the like, but... it sounds like a good read anyway. I might pick up a copy.

You heard about it, Hiway?

Oh, and re the copywrite issues and whatnot,

after 60 years, isn't this in the public domain?

if you're talking about the Neal Gabler book, I'm reading it right now.

I've read about every book on Disney, and for me this is the best biography yet. It's not a 'tell all' expose book , so much as a comprehensive and thorough history and examination of his life, his work, and it's cultural impact.

What really surprises me is that it is supported by the Disney corporation. In the past, anyone writing a book about Disney that wasn't glowing, had no access to Disney files, pictures or anything.

Gabler was given access to the inner depths of the realm, and as a result has written the most complete, and insightful book ever, with details about Walt and the studio that I never knew.

Of course anyone writing a book will have a point of view, and some of his ideas on cultural impact and motivation are surely up for debate, but the book never tries to be 'sensational' or 'muck raking'.

It's anything but a 'Jerry Springer' type book, and I give it my highest recommendation ( whatever THAT'S worth).

Kathy,

It didn't bother me, personally. I've seen some of those WWII war cartoons that WOULD be offensive by today's standards, though. Interestingly, the term 'Jap' was used by the mainstream media back then and wasn't considered a pejorative term. Many of my parents' generation, having grown up with that, still use the term yet are NOT racists.

sudo

Well, the term 'jap' is really about the same as the 'n' word, and I see no reason why anyone would use either, but I'll leave it at that.

"Der Fuehrer's Face" won an academy award, and is quite tame compared to the cartoons coming out of other studios. It can be quite a jolt to see Bugs Bunny or Popeye going up against the most extreme racial distortions that the animators could dream up. Then there is a whole library of black stereotype cartoons, that were just accepted as commonplace back then.

Of course you're not going to see them on Cartoon Network, for good reason, but I disagree with those who would want them to be suppressed or destroyed. In the right context, they are fascinating looks at the world at war, and windows into how we once perceived anyone who was 'different'. History is what it is, and ignoring it, or changing it is never good.

Hiway29,

One thing I found interesting about that Disney cartoon was that it was distributed by RKO. But then, I don't know how all that works.

Re:"Then there is a whole library of black stereotype cartoons, that were just accepted as commonplace back then."

And there was nothing really wrong with it either, IMO. That's the sensitive kind of thinking that got Song Of The South pulled off the shelves wasn't it? They had blacks speaking in 'Negro' dialect. Fact of the matter is some blacks STILL talk that way. But you aren't supposed to show it? It would be different if it were done with malice but all those white folks in 'black face' doing minstrel shows (ala Al Jolson), or Uncle Remus types were done with affection for blacks, IMO. They weren't trying to make fun of them.

Compare those 'caricatures' with how Southern people have been caricatured the whole time in Hollywood. We were portrayed as stupid, ignorant double-nought spies who thought the civil war was still going on in The Beverly Hillbillies. We were hot-to-trot hormones out of control Daisy Dukes in hot pants that showed butt cheeks in The Dukes Of Hazzard. The men were stupid and corrupt.. and they ALL spoke with exaggerated accents.

Now, I'm not complaining, Hiway29. I laugh at all the good natured Southern humor too but don't make something out to be racist (I'm not accusing YOU of this, my man) just because it involves stereotypes. I think anyone can see in the clip above that Zip-a-dee-doo-dah was done with a lot of affection.

sudo (lookin' around for his chewing tobacco)

I am in agreement with you that the Song of the South clip is done with affection, and if anything is refreshingly free of the racial stereotypes that were all too common back then.

I'm referring to a host of cartoons that consistently portrayed blacks as dice throwing, watermelon eating, foot shuffling, and lazy. Maybe it wouldn't have been so offensive if a black person could have gotten a JOB working on these cartoons that so consistently portrayed them this way.

I also see your point about southerners, and am open to understand your point of view in that light.

I can't remember right now whether it was in Wonder Woman #1 or Sensation Comics #1, but I remember a couple of panels where a black train porter, with bug-eyes and big lips, is helping WW with her bags. His statement was something like, "Dese bags sho am hebby! Mus' be full o' books!" Was this an intentional slur? I doubt it, though it was plainly a caricature, sadly quite commonplace in 1941. Back then, also, Japanese were horribly caricatured as bright yellow, skinny, with bottle-glasses and buck teeth. Racist? Not necessarily, since Chinese were portrayed more civilly. It was just a way to vilify our nation's enemies, in much the way Arab extremists are caricatured today.

George