The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, got a special surprise for the Jim Croce Fans. Might take a few minutes to load but WELL worth the wait! :)

Click HERE!

Rick

That is indeed a fine piece. How wonderful that these things exist so we can enjoy him. And I agree with Tops on the quality of the piece.

I think the other player was a taken a tad by surprise in the closing.

Tops is going to teach me this stuff. Uh huh. :dance:

Hiway29,

You are right on all counts, though I *DO* wish you hadn't given it all away <_ . now i have two more clips from that serial might be of interest. the first is lois lane and jimmy. a pretty good idea won look at all familiar to chattykathy though she will superman fans because.... don think kathy fan. why do not fan because wasn with jor-el or krypton would caught right off. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:">

But Kathy might recognize Jimmy Olson because he was a famous child actor. Hey Kathy!! Don't feel bad if you don't recognize Jimmy because I wouldn't have known him either. But AFTER knowing who he was, well, yeah.. I could see it then. Click HERE!

sudo (who'll post the other clip later)

But Kathy might recognize Jimmy Olson because he was a famous child actor. Hey Kathy!! Don't feel bad if you don't recognize Jimmy because I wouldn't have known him either. But AFTER knowing who he was, well, yeah.. I could see it then. Click HERE!
sudo (who'll post the other clip later)
Knowing it was him I did recognize him also. I love those old movies, the language in some are so rich that you can get lost in the characters. Edited by ChattyKathy

George,

You're right.. it HAD to have been those sociology lectures that did it. We finally were able to beat a division-AA school. Hotty Toddy!!! colreb.jpg

We're playing nearly all TRUE freshmen, though, and the word is that with the great recruiting we've had and commitments we've gotten that we're going to be SEC contenders in a year or two. It hasn't been that way at Ole Miss since *I* was a student there when Archie Manning and team were ranked number one in the country by all polls. Oh well.. things change.

Back to the Superman serial.. looks like Jimmy Olsen is recognized as a former Our Gang (The Little Rascals) member? Yeah.. he hadn't changed much had he? The next clip is really for Hiway29 because of the animation. Click HERE! We missed out on the serials didn't we? I may do one more clip to show how they used to leave you dangling... if there's any interest.

sudo

Great Pics----Superman

Those animated flying sequences have been slammed for showing in graphic detail how cheaply those serials were made, and they are obvious aren't they.

Still, I kind of like them in that they move real nice, and there's no way they could have done that with a live actor then. I suspect they studied the Fleischer Superman cartoons and copied many of the energetic flying scenes from them.

By the way, Superman didn't really 'fly' for quite some time . He originally was able to leap "1/16th of a mile"-which is pretty good if you're leaping. The flying evolved over time, but I really enjoy the original 'pure' Superman, who wasn't so all powerful.

Unless I'm not recalling correctly, "Superman Under the Green Sun" was a comic from the 60's, and not a bad one at that. Green suns. Not many of those around.

The Q radiation from the Quaarm creature, which I'm assuming is what you're referring to, was an attempt to make Superman not so all powerful, as it had really gotten a bit ridiculous. Everyone's favorite being the time Superman blew out a sun with his super breath.

The intent was for some of his powers to be permanently lessened. It lasted for about 2 minutes, then forgotten.

It's a dangerous thing, letting Superman geeks get started. Unless the board is rescued by some rock classics, there's no telling what will happen.

No, not the Quarrm creature (that was the sand guy that took half of Supes's powers, wasn't it?). The only thing I can really remember about the Q-radiation story was a Neal Adams cover with Superman nearly unconscious next to a pair of large, flaming "L"s.

Of course, there were also beings that could drain Superman's powers. Amazo and the Parasite(s) come to mind.

George

if anyone's interested in seeing those old superman serials, Turner Classic Movies is showing the entire series on saturday mornings, starting at 9 EST. they've been doing it for a few weeks, but i just stumbled on them last saturday. they look great, so they must all be newly restored.

jimmy olsen was played by tommy bond, btw, butch from the little rascals.

Tommy Bond had 2 stints in the Our Gang films. When he was younger, he was called Tommy, and wore a page boy haircut. He wasn't portrayed as a bully at the time. For his best performance then, catch "Mush and Milk' if you ever get the opportunity.

He left the series then came back a couple of years later as Butch, older, bigger, and the perfect 'bully'. By all accounts, Tommy was the nicest kid in real life, and Alfalfa was more of a bully.

Until his passing a couple of years ago, Tommy made alot of appearances at 'nostalgia' shows, meeting fans and selling autographed pictures. I 'm glad to have met him and to have a picture hanging in my cubicle at work with much other nonsense.

Hiway29,

Thanks for that info on Tommy Bond. He's another one gone from that era and it saddens me. He must have been a good kid actor because I bought into his being a bully 100% as a kid.

OK OK.. since you've all been begging.. here's another Superman serial clip to show how they enticed the kids back into the movie theatre the next week. I wish I had some memories of serials in the movie theatres on Saturday afternoons. Click HERE!

sudo