GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Kathy,

It didn't bother me, personally. I've seen some of those WWII war cartoons that WOULD be offensive by today's standards, though. Interestingly, the term 'Jap' was used by the mainstream media back then and wasn't considered a pejorative term. Many of my parents' generation, having grown up with that, still use the term yet are NOT racists.

sudo

I understand regarding certain terms being acceptable and my grandfather was of that generation and was not a racist. He was other things but not a racist. Yet my grandfather who was half Cherokee never used terms. He was a farmer, cotton to be exact. The folks he met outside the town he knew by where they said they came from. Media wasn't a part of his life. He was a wonderful man, my mother's father.

It bothered me because it stereotyped them just like they were stereotyping us. I read a wonderful book once I believe it was the Winters brothers as part of the characters. It was rich and full of love of life and things I would love and it was about war and all that was sacrificed for the sake of the stand and simply being who you were. It was personal views of people like we could be here. And it brought home how the nation for which it stands, in some form, applies to you wherever you are.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No offense taken, Chatola. I'm one of the three or four guys in America who couldn't care less about sports. I don't really get the mentality of some sports fans.

One time I saw this guy coming out of a Quality Dairy store with a Spartan 'S' tattoo. He was an older guy, probably a grandfather. The odd thing about this was the placement of said tattoo. It was on his left cheek (facial one, just so there's no snickering :nono5::biglaugh: ). I would NEVER do something like that.

As most of you know, I'm a HUGE Jackson Browne fan. I have most of his albums (working on getting the ones I don't have). But there's something about the thought of getting a tattoo of him that really just doesn't appeal to me. I'm okay with a SHIRT with his name or picture on it, but NOT a tattoo.

I discovered when we moved to this area that Ohio State fans are as devoted as Packer ones. You can feel the score in the air without even watching or listening to the game. Last night there were fireworks coming from the direction of the University. And local folks had rockets going off in the cul-de-sac. It is a huge thing in my area and I reckon when we win, especially against Michigan which is great team, well I get excited. But I wouldn't put one of those little buckeye leaves that looks like marijuana on my body either, nah.

I'm praying for you also Sushi.

Kathy,

I feel so guilty letting you have to post stuff to keep this thread going. I'm heading off to North Carolina tomorrow to boot but lookie.. since we're talking football and everyone's tired of hearing the theme song to The Andy Griffith show posted... I've got some football nostalgia.

We can do this some more but I don't know how many of us *want* some more :biglaugh: . Here's a football team's song and it should be a fairly easy one. Click HERE! and name the state of the football team.. or any OTHER subtle answer. I used to love this team back in the 60's.

sudo

Sudo,

I think we need to find that fun tops girl who has been missed by me, even if I don't post to tell y'all I'm here, because I am going to a remote cabin with no cable or internet service. I'm sorry dude. Maybe the guys will talk about stuff amongst themselves. That's always enjoyable for me to read.

I've heard it many times but I can't tell you that link.

I hope that all have very safe and restful Thanksgiving and some extra goodies along the way.

I'm not leaving till Thursday; I was just saying it because I was talking now.

Kathy

We can do this some more but I don't know how many of us <B>*want*</B> some more :biglaugh: . Here's a football team's song and it should be a fairly easy one. Click <a href=http://sudo2u.com/aev.wav><B><font color=red>HERE!</font></B></a> and name the state of the football team.. or any OTHER subtle answer. I used to love this team back in the 60's.

<center>sudo</center>

I was going to guess Ole Miss, but I doubt that's it. It's not Notre Dame or a Big Ten school.

George

Hey guys,

I'm a wee bit surprised no body's hopped right on this one as its a song with words that I remember hearing as a child.. and this school isn't exactly in my neighborhood. Nope.. neither Ole Miss nor Notre Dame. Speaking of which.. I'll be watching the Notre Dame-USC game this weekend in North Carolina. The whole Sudo clan is leaving today for Greensboro for Thanksgiving and you know what that means.. the girls go shopping and the guys watch football!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

sudo

I've missed being here, too, Kathy. It's hard to fit my little offerings inbetween cartoons and football, since I'm not up on either, so I have to leave those to the experts. :biglaugh:

Plus my computer is beginning to experience some problems, so I can't jump on and stay on as long as I would like.

But...in case some of you don't hang out on the kitchen thread, here's my Thanksgiving offering. A great little TV moment if you are familiar with the show.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Thanksgiving Cheers

I've missed being here, too, Kathy. It's hard to fit my little offerings inbetween cartoons and football, since I'm not up on either, so I have to leave those to the experts. :biglaugh:

Plus my computer is beginning to experience some problems, so I can't jump on and stay on as long as I would like.

But...in case some of you don't hang out on the kitchen thread, here's my Thanksgiving offering. A great little TV moment if you are familiar with the show.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Thanksgiving Cheers

Ah Tops, you are fun. Thank you for such a fantastic clip. I swear they had to have had fun filming that scene don't you think. :)

Much fun, what a clip!!!!!

Hey guys :wave:

I'm at the Marriott in Greensboro, NC and waiting until my family gets up. I would have had something else up for ya'll but I can't access my server from this hotel business center. Man do they have these computers locked down. Anyways.. I might have had a power outage at the office because I can not FTP into my server. :(

Hope all you Nostalgiacs had a great Thanksgiving. I did. Heck, I see myself as being on vacation. Here I am posting on my favorite thread in my favorite forum. I'll spend the whole afternoon and evening watching college football, eating leftover turkey, ham etc and drinking beer. It doesn't get any better than this! :biglaugh:

sudo

That 60's site was cool, but the first thing I noticed was the claim the in 1960 , the Big Mac, was 28 cents.

There WAS no Big Mac in 1960 ! I forget the year it came out, but it was probably '66 at the earliest.

Just looked it up and found that the Big Mac came out in 1968. I didn't find the price, but my foggu memory tells me it was 49 cents at the time.