GreaseSpot Cafe

rascal's beloved mare, LADY, died

excathedra

Cathy I am sorry to hear of your loss of your friend Lady my prayers are with you.

psumarefoal2.gif

"Somewhere...somewhere in time's own space

There must be some sweet pastured place

Where creeks sing on and tall trees grow

Some Paradise where horses go.

For by the love that guides my pen

I know great horses live again."

-Stanley Harrison

http://www.hoofbeats-in-heaven.com/hoofprints/

When you are feeling better you might want to leave a tribute to your Lady here...

A death of a pet is akin to a death in the family. I know because I've been there several times. I would think losing a beloved horse could be even worse than losing a dog because horses live so much longer.

My heartfelt condolences, Rascal.

sudo

i know the loss of a companion pet ~~~

My Bucky Blue Sky Silver Lining, a purebred merle shetland sheep dog trained companion dog ~~~ I miss Bucky... he was a true companion dog... as well his mate

Darcy

I

had to take to the vet one week after the other... Bucky first...

that was in 94 or thereabouts...

to this day i have not had another

i never considered pets as children... but rather an understanding the difference... a companion when both understand the same...

Thank you friends....I read your compassionate posts repeatedly through the weekend and apreciated your concern......that you guys could love and pray for us when you all have grevious concerns of your own shows what outstandingly kind people you all are.....

This has been a blow...though I have many animal friends....I have to say that as silly as this sounds....she was my best friend...human or animal....

To have inadvertantly caused her death is just awfull...

I have difficulty remembering the pain that I insisted that she endure at the vets hands as he fought to save her life....

The very worst part is ...that last morning at the vet....she weakly staggered to her feet and nickered when she heard me drive up....

I took her out of the stall for yet more torturous treatment....she staggered over to our trailer and pawed at it...clearly asking me to take her home....away from the suffering ...and I didn`t...I let the vet talk me into letting him try for one more day......I wanted to stay but husband needed me to finish a job in huntsville......

I was called and told that she had a heart attack shortly afterward....

My grief isn`t just that I gave her the feed that killed her....but also that I let the vet hurt her...I feel so bad that I didn`t bring her home...like she asked...

I hope that I will see her again someday so that I can tell her how truly sorry I am to have betrayed her trust and caused so much suffering.

Rascal,

Your post shows a unique and loving relationship with a wonderful and smart horse there. Please remember all the good times you had with Lady. There certainly were many fond memories for all your family to rejoice in.

quote:
My grief isn`t just that I gave her the feed that killed her....but also that I let the vet hurt her...I feel so bad that I didn`t bring her home...like she asked...

Grieving is a necessary part of the loss of anyone or anything loved, and you need to let it play out in your soul. But what you said in the quoted part is guilt. Guilt is an evil worm that will tear at your heart and can cause physical and emotional illness, please guard your heart against that.

I am certain you did not know the feed you fed Lady was contaminated.

Having been raised on farms and in rural communties, I do know that feed contamination sometimes happens, and you usually find out when animals die. You are not at fault or guilty of it, because you didn't know, bad things happen in life.

(Not trying to belittle your loss, but it seems to me I recall the digestive systems of horses, compared to other animals, are very sensitive to bad foreign factors to begin with, and it can easily go mortal with them.)

You took Lady to the Vet because Veterinarians are the best bet to save her. And I am sure he did the best he could. In spite of the great help Vets have been to the health and well being of many animals, I have yet ever to see or hear of an animal that didn't want to get out of the office and get back to home sweet home.

Lady would probably have died on the way back or shortly after you got her back home. Maybe you would have felt better if you had done that, maybe not. Life if full of responsibilities, many more than you can ever get done. It is necessary to set priorities and pick and choose. Really it is giving your best guess as what is most important. Sometimes you guess well, sometimes not.

Being human, we many times make mistakes and end up feeling guilty and regret. We make our decisions for the day having guessed our best guesses and then setting the priorities according to those guesses.

Unfortunately, we don't see the results of our decisions until after the results have happened. You couldn't know and now it is not good, even wrong to guilt yourself for it.

Back in '78, my mother was cooking the evening meal, and my dad went out for his daily walk. When he came back, my mom had died of a heart attack. My dad always felt bad he was not there when she died, but he could have done nothing about it or for it. Understand?

Please greive all you need to but be careful and guard your heart to not let guilt come in and cause your soul any destruction. You have more than enough to do taking care of your wonderful family.

I love you and I am praying for you and yours.

Thank you folks...Thank you each of you...who have been praying...all of you who took the time to post your words of comfort...I humbely thank you all for your concern exhibited.

Ex thankyou for caring enough to start this thread....The support given and the respect shown by you folks to my friend was truly sustaining during these bleak days of self recrimination and shame...Nobody really understands out here...you know, it`s just a horse...a farm animal...get over it.

My apreciation for the respect shown .... Bow n Sudo, thanks for posting her picture....somehow, it made her seem important.

I thank each one of you for the love and comfort of your words...it has made a differance.