GreaseSpot Cafe

cleaning tips and shortcuts.... i want them ALL

excathedra

Hi! If you want some great tips on how to clean everything---quickly, cheaply and effortlessly, read Don Aslett's books [available on Amazon]. The best book of his is called, "Is There Life After Housework?"

He's a cleaning efficiency expert. Cut my cleaning time in half with 100% better results! Enjoy!

About the "no bleach" comment...

Just last week I had to replace my septic tank pump to the tune of about $600. (OUCH! - but, still cheeper than redoing to whole leech field!) Mr. Pooptankman (as my son named him), offered advise on what NOT to flush into the system. I learned that bleach is a big no-no!

Since I am asthmatic, cleaning with bleach is not the smartest thing for me. I love the clean smell of it, but it's not worth a trip to the ER. I have a monster-in-law who loves to mix (yes, MIX! icon_eek.gif) bleach with other cleaners despite all our warnings - she still does it. At least I have a good excuse for not going over to visit often.... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I was going to make a cautionary comment about mixing bleach with other cleansers, but it seems to have already come up a few times. For the uninitiate, chlorine bleach products react with amines (especially ammonia) to make chloramine, a highly toxic gas. Many a housewife has been hospitalized (or worse) by mixing her two best cleansers to make a "super-cleanser." Peroxide cleansers (Oxy-Clean, etc.)won't react the way chlorine bleaches do, but I still wouldn't recommend mixing them with other cleansers. (Interestingly, if you mix chlorine bleach with a peroxide bleach, oxygen fizzes out, and you get no cleanser at all!) Leave chemistry to us professionals!

anim-smile.gif

George

WOW this is a great thread!!! I'm one of those women who is totally disorgannized when it comes to cleaning, I mess up one room cleaning another LOL but true I didn't realize there was a differance between cleaning and organizing so I try to do both at once and you don't wanta know the outcome trust me on this.

But I really got some good tips and will try them all. Hopefully not all at once.

I do have one good idea that I've been doing for years. I buy my kitty's dry food in one a those big plastic containers with a wide opening, throw the lid away and put my plastic grocery bags in it. It will hold at least a hundred bags which I used for small trash cans or to carry around with me while cleaning to put trash in or whatever but no wet stuff. I also use the grocery bags to put aluminum cans in then stuff them all in the big yard bags til I go to the recycling place.

yeah use those handy bags from the food stores!!

I keep a butch by the litter box for a quick scoop and the dryer for the lint screen and in the bathroom I bought the cute little bag holders that look like tubes made from cloth with any design just pull and go!

I use the empty litter boxes the plastic pails ya buy the scoople litter in for food storage for the animals the birds and cats keeps it super fresh and dry.

I use bleach but I have certain cleaning shirts I wear when I clean in case of spill. I want the disinfectant you can buy some that smells like flowers now .

In the garbage can (all of them actually but it started in the bathroom) I put several bags in the bottom so if I have to take something outside real quick, there's another bag in there just to pull up.

I used regular un-clumpable litter...and sometimes it was necessary to get it straight out to the garbage can outside!

A septic tip I got from a septic service guy..........

Pour a half gallon of buttermilk down the drain once a month. It replenishes the bacteria.

My favorite grease-cutter is Greased Lightning. It also works on soap-scum in the bathroom.

I also spray a litte bleach around the toilet every few days. (I have 2 boys, 6 & 8), I sound like a broken record, "Watch what you're doing!"