GreaseSpot Cafe

ebay wins

ChasUFarley

I never really got into ebay until just a couple of weeks ago. I started getting obsessed with getting a new crib set for the baby but found the prices of those things were more than I'd pay for a king-sized bedding set!

I bid and won my first auction last week - paid $46 + s&h for a NEW 6-piece crib set that usually retails for $98+ on other web sites. It's already shipped and I should have it by Tuesday. I can't believe it!

I can see how people get hooked on ebay - it was a lot of fun when the final bids were going on.

Anyone else have a good win or loose story?

p.s.

Extra points if you bid on that gawd-awful grilled cheese sandwich that looked like Mother Mary! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I bought my wedding dress on ebay. It was an absolute steal, it was beautiful, and I would recommend it to anyone! I couldn't imagine paying so much money for something you wear only once.

It came from Hong Kong. The transaction went very smoothly, and I received the dress within 4 days after buying it.

I have bid only once.

I had priced a particular model of gas furnace to install in my garage and decided to watch e-bay for a used one. The exact model was found, and the bidding lasted for a week or so. I put in my bid and followed closely everyday until the bid hit the same price as a new one. I checked back later and found the successful bidder paid $28 more than the price for a new one, plus shipping and handling.

Haven't been back since.

I buy on ebay a lot. I've bought parts for my 1964 motorcycle, test equipment and laser printers for work, hard to find books and cameras for my collection. It's not as good as it used to be, but still useful.

Probably the biggest downside to ebay is that the prices at the local flea markets and second hand stores have gone up and all the good stuff gets culled off for ebay.

Two years ago we bought a 1987 Ford van off ebay for $900. We've gone to Phoenix and back and twice to Fla and back. The owner was old and tried to sell it by parking it close to the road with a sign in the window. They wanted $2100 but their son talked them into going the ebay route. It was a good purchase for us but it looks like they would've had to junk it if not for ebay.

I have also bought a movie from the 80s called 'Heaven help us' plus a hand held Wheel of Fortune game off ebay with good results.

Shell, I think they do sell real estate on e-bay. I was a frequent bidder last year acquiring Signature A Club make-up from the lovely Adrienne Arpel. Her skin care is awesome, too.

It's either through HSN network, or the their website and e-bay that you can get the stuff. I have this night creme that has beepollen in it that is saving my face from our harsh winter. There is also this stuff called "candlelight" that gives a "glow" effect that is cool. And the eyeshadow, face poweder, and blush are all a bunch of colors that makes you look fantastic!

Thanks. I did finally go and found real estate.

My dad and step mom have a 10 acre farm here with out buildings and a mobile home that they have listed for 2 years and it's not selling.

He is not a computer man at all, but did ask once about selling it on the computer.

I'd forgotten about that.

Looks like he'd have to take quite a cut in selling price there though.

I think ebay is sensational.

One quick ebay tip: have one screenname for selling, and a different one for buying. That way, when you buy and if you are not satisfied with a seller, and leave negative feedback, retaliatory negative feedback from the seller will not be left on your selling name, only your buying name.

Good tip, OM.

I love eBay, but only use it when I can't find something local. I hate paying shipping charges. I also make sure that I'm not paying more in price & shipping than I can get somewhere else. Some people really jack up those shipping prices.

I'm a total wuss though, if they have the "buy it now" option, I'll do that rather than join a bidding war. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Ebay can be great.

Needed a new credit card machine. Bank wanted $800. Bought it for $295.

Needed some new office phones. 4 line phones for $25 each.

I have a friend who bought several dump trucks and other heavy machinery. Never a problem.

Bought a tenor sax for $1900. Be carful on musical insturments.

My wife bought something once and never got it. Went back to pay pall and got her money back.

Use commom since and you can get some bargians.

quote:
Does anyone ever sell homes on Ebay?

A friend of mine listed his home on Ebay but the highest bidder backed out two days after the bid closing. It seems that Ebay will not hold anyone to their bid when it comes to real estate.

The good news was that he found that he had under evaluated the worth of his house by 50% when he later put it in a Real Estate Agents hands. He was sure glad the buyer backed out.

I sold my TWI stuff a while back on eBay, and got a few hundred for all of that garbage. Unfortunately, the people that still believe in that stuff try to beg you to sell directly to them and avoid the whole purpose of eBay. They don't get the purpose of an auction I guess. Still, I'm glad I did because I got about $500 instead of the $200 that was originally offered to me.

Well, I've gotten a few good deals on e-bay, including my CD boombox, which can also play CD-RW and mp3 music. Brand new is almost 100 dollars but I only paid 40. I didn't come with the remote that comes with it brand new, but hey, i don't need a remote, and if I do, I can always contact Sony (the make of the player). I've had it for almost 2 years and it plays great!

Also I sold my old desktop shortwave radio reciever, and using the "buy now" option, it got snatched up for $50.00. I'm sure the buyer was satisfied, though he didn't leave feedback, I'm sure if there were a problem I would have at least gotten negative feedback.

Haven't made any purchases lately, but sometimes I look for bargains or just browse.