GreaseSpot Cafe

Craig's Loyalty Letter

insurgent

I don't mean to change the subject here but I feel that I need to address something that was posted by Catcup on page 10 of this thread.

Catcup relates to us a story about an incident of sexual indiscretion that occurred which involved her roomate and R***** P*ny*rd. I am sure that many readers here probably know who the R***** P*ny*rd is, that she is referring to. I would like to clarify a point that came to my mind while reading her post.

Catcup, you claim in your post that you knew RP and his wife and that you were surprised by RP's behavior towards your roomate. Well, I know RP myself (very well), and I was not surprised by your account at all. In fact, it made me question how well you REALLY knew RP.

Using RP as an example of twi's corrupt system of leadership is really not accurate in this case. I understand that because of wierwilles attitude and behavior towards women sexually, a pattern of sexual corruptness developed among the twi leadership. I believe that there were probably many twi leaders who perhaps started off with good intentions and were corrupted by wierwilles example and attitude.However, this was not really the case with RP.

RP was a fly in the ointment to other twi leaders wherever twi sent him. He operated outside of the 9 dots, so to speak. He was a party dude from the "old days". He liked to drink, smoke and chase women. Always did, probably always will. It was only his own charismatic personality that put him into a leadership position with twi. People would listen to him and he could not be ignored. I recall when he was one of the "slated teachers" at a limb meeting. He was scheduled to teach just before the "grand finale" teaching by the limb leader. RP set the room on fire, and when the limb leader finally came out to teach afterwords, it redefined the meaning of "anticlimatic". Rick was an outlaw who did things differently than he was supposed to and he p*ssed off twi leaders wherever he went.

Catcup, I am not questioning your account of what happened to your roomate. I am merely asserting that using RP's behavior as part of the pattern of corruption taught by wierwille is not accurate. RP would have been chasing other women around no matter WHAT wierwille or other twi leaders did or said. He was doing it before he ever heard of twi and simply did not change.

So why split hairs? Because it gives folks the impression that RP was one of the wierwillite clone stooges (there were many) who did what he did because of the groupthink mentality that swallowed up twi leadership. I don't excuse or condone any of RP's behavior. For gosh sakes, he did time in prison for pulling the old "Ponzi scam" on people. The reason I am taking the time to post this, is because I just wanted to set the record straight. Say what you will about the guy but he kept his individuality and independance in a situation when most didn't. Why mention this? Because in 1987 when people were running around confused and upset, RP was one of the few twi leaders who stayed true to his convictions and sat people down and gave them honest answers about what was really going on. Numerous corps came to him in tears, not knowing what to do and he gave them jobs, he gave them money, he let them live in his house. After walking away from twi, he poured out his life and did everything possible to help everyone he could. I will remember him for that, not for trying to get into your roomates pants.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in other words, a perfect twi leader: did not let the bible get in the way of what he lusted after. I think I will skip the "charisma" and settle for integrity instead. As to "few" leaders or no, I am sure you cannot speak for a fraction of twi "leaders"--I was one and you don't know me from jacksheist. Now multiply me times a couple hundred and you have NO idea whether it was few or many. It is not a disgrace to say you don't know when you don't, UH.....

Dear UncleHairy,

Whether VPW taught his leaders his sexual practices, or simply included some who already were adulterers, the result's the same. He didn't fire RP when it became known that he was a loose cannon, did he?

Dear Oldies,

You said...

quote:
The punchline: women have more power in TWI than they realize, or would care to admit.
SOME TWI women might have SOME pull with their own husbands, but that should not be equated with having pull with TWI leadership. When my 1st hubby decided to drink at ROA '80, we were both promptly fired from Staff and told to relocate to AZ. This "assignment" came from VP himself, who spoke only to my husband, while hubby was drunk. The next day, I asked to talk to VPW about it. I was stopped by Don W., and told that "Dad" had decreed it, so I would be blessed if I did it. It didn't even phase him when I said with tears that my parents would be separated from their first grandchild by such a move.

I got HIM into TWI. I never had a drunk day in my life. Women, power? Puh-leez!

And BTW, just so you understand how "spiritual" that decision was, it bombed. We were told we were going to AZ to be close to the new LC, and introductions were made at the Rock. Well, once we got there, the LC quickly blew us off, then didn't last 6 months there himself. There was no contact from the BOT. I was abandoned with a drinking husband and a baby. The "Corps household" was a sham.

You also spoke about how, had you known, you would have brought the accusations to Don W. and expected that you would have received an honest explanation. Do you not know that Don also was involved in adultery? And after reading my story above, do you still think that Don wouldn't have whitewashed the whole thing to you?

You were scammed, Oldies. We all were.

Shaz

I'm jumping into this late in the discussion - last time I looked it was about Craig's letter from 1989... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Catcup speaks the truth about RP. Let me tell you the same tale from how I saw it.

I was in Way Prod in residence. So was RP. He was the head of the Sickth Corpse Way Prod dept. He had his own office in Kenyon - backstage on the tip-top floor - which was more like a 2 room suite. There were several rooms on the 2nd floor - probably old music classrooms, where I would go to write and to get away from the crowd. There was always a pot of coffee back there, too - so I took advantage of it often.

One night, I wrote a song that I really believed was inspired, I was very happy with it. I wanted to share it with someone. It was really late- maybe 1 or 2 a.m. (there was no curfew back then). I had seen RP and a single Corps woman, DS, heading up to R's office earlier that night. They told me that they were working on some lyrics that R. was stuck on and she was good with words. I believed them - why shouldn't I?

Anyway, after I wrote the song, I went upstairs to see if they were still around to play it for them and.... oops! No, they weren't nekkid or anything - but they were in a bit of a compromising position - she was giving him a backrub, he was shirtless. No, I didn't say anything - I was in denial - there had to be a reasonable explanation for it, after all he was married! And it was only a back rub...

Now, Uncle Hairy - I only knew RP from Way Prod. I didn't know him or his reputation when I was in-rez. Why should I? I was never in his area. I'm sure he did nice things for people - so did VP.

As far as the other woman that Cat was talking about - I will also say that she was taken advantage of by several married men. I didn't know about it until our last year in-rez was almost over with, and didn't know about her encounters with VP until after we graduated. Was she complicit? That's a really hard thing for me to judge, knowing what I know now. Hindsight is always 20/20 as the saying goes. If you asked me this a few years ago, I'd say she had some responsibility for her actions, that she was willing, therefore bore some of the blame. Ask me now, and I say she was indeed a victim and was coerced with lies, deceit and a total mishandling of scripture to enduce her into these acts.

I considered this woman to be one of my closest friends in-rez and can honestly say I still remember the times we were together with a ton of love in my heart.

Shaz - from what I recall - when RP got caught with his pants down in-rez - he was made an example of and booted out.

A few months later, an ordained 1st Corps guy who was running part of CA showed up at Emporia when VP was there. I thought he was just there for a visit. At our Corps meeting that night, VP announced to the WHOLE Corps that this Rev. had cheated on his wife and had been removed from his responsibility. Told us how awful it was for that Rev. to do such a horrible thing - breaking his commitment and all....

Think about it, VP made examples of people who were doing the same stuff he was doing! That way, if and when anything came up about adultery, we would surely believe that VP thought it was wrong - I mean, he punished the guys who got caught doing it! He could NEVER do that!

How naive was I? (that's a rhetorical question, please don't answer!)

Hope,

It's still about Craig's loy-alty letter.

We're going into intent and results and so on.

One poster here seems to think that it was appropriate for lcm to draw the

line in the sand, saying twi was a corporate entity that was entitled to demand

loyalty to it's chief executive officer. Others seem to say that the motives

for such a demand were flawed, the demand was ungodly, and the results

decimated the organization's effectiveness to do anything except micromanage.

Me, I think the evidence bears out the second point of view in exacting detail

and by a mountain of evidence, horror stories, personal testomonies, etc.

Can I redirect?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

For those who were around during the "loyalty letter" days, did you already know that Martindale was "off"? If so, was the letter just the straw that broke the camel's back? Before the letter came out, did you think he was going to change, improve? Leave? From the testimony of those who lived through it, the letter doesn't seem to be a bolt out of the blue, or an isolated bit of ungodliness, but the culmination of much crap.

Oak, back in 87 (before the loyalty oath), at least half the corps I talked to knew ole craiggers was "off", even then. They would only admit it in one on one conversations with me and in hushed tones.

The ones that thought martindumb was right were the ones getting a salary and the ones who were "close" to getting a salary. I'm afraid that many saw things through their "federal reserve note" tainted glasses.

I also believe that when a lot of folks started walking away, there were others who stuck around simply because they figured they would "really" move up the pecking order once the dust settled and they were still "standing".

One good thing that came out of ....ferbrains demanding his loyalty oath is that people had the opprotunity to hold on to their own convictions and make a statement. They had the opprotunity to "make the word their own" by walking away flipping him the bird as they did it. The spit suckers remained.

Good question, Oakspear.

Speaking for myself.....

The impression I was getting second-hand was that there were some problems at the bot

level-specifically with lcm. Since I was naive enough to credit them with every

positive motivation, I actually told someone the higher-ups will settle this amongst

themselves. I said it and I was confident that lcm would come around.

(I already said I was naive.)

One of the people I said would talk to lcm and make sense would be vf.

The next news I got on the subject was the letter. (vf is fired, signed lcm.)

So much for making sense.

I reviewed the letter itself, and concluded the letter was flawed in doctrine.

Being the kind of guy that likes to see things for himself, I attended the '89 ROA.

I said "If there's a turnaround, it will be announced here. If there isn't, this is my

last chance to hit the bookstore." (I didn't know how much was available in

bookstores outside of twi. Naive.) I spoke to people from all over the country,

listened as leaders, spokesmen and self-appointed thought police spoke and watched my

movements, I was threatened with physical violence for asking questions, (which was

a more revealing answer than I got otherwise), and I noted error after error from the

mouths of leaders at every level. Comments from other people attending for the

last time included words like "dismal". That was as much information as I really

needed.

quote:
For those who were around during the "loyalty letter" days, did you already know that Martindale was "off"? If so, was the letter just the straw that broke the camel's back? Before the letter came out, did you think he was going to change, improve? Leave? From the testimony of those who lived through it, the letter doesn't seem to be a bolt out of the blue, or an isolated bit of ungodliness, but the culmination of much crap.

Oakspear, I'll give you my take on it. For folks like VF, who were following and standing with Geer, the letter was bad news because it smoked them out. They already were thinking the worst of Craig for years, didn't think he would change under any circumstances, didn't want to give him any more chances; so it was the end for those folks.

Others, ordinary Joe Believer twiggies, who followed folks like VF and who knew virtually nothing about the personal lifestyles of the BOT, would have gone either way. They followed folks like VF, and had folks like VF stood with LCM, the ordinary Joe Believer twiggies would have hung around as well. As I think back what confirms this is the folks (limb coordinators) who stood with LCM, didn't have the mass exodus in their states like in mine.

What the Hay stated in a previous post that some of these folks, who previously stood with VF and others and left when VF and others left, were coming back to TWI -- along with the new folks who were recruited. However, in my judgment there was only a period of about 5 years in there (1989-1994) where things were still tolerable in the sense that the unabashed legalism hadn't yet set in. PFAL and WOW were still around as well.

quote:
You also spoke about how, had you known, you would have brought the accusations to Don W. and expected that you would have received an honest explanation. Do you not know that Don also was involved in adultery? And after reading my story above, do you still think that Don wouldn't have whitewashed the whole thing to you?

Shazdancer,

This is off topic but I thought I'd respond. Sorry to hear about your situation, but it sounds like Don was only communicating info. that was already "decreed", and he couldn't do much about it.

Don was a personal and family friend, and all the dealings I and my family ever had with him were honest and above reproach. It's extremely disturbing to hear that he also had problems with adultery; however, I haven't reason to believe he would lie to me -- unless one believes that a person who engages in adultery always must lie about everything else. So no, I don't think Don would have whitewashed anything. Also, giving folks the benefit of the doubt means you're willing to have them prove themselves to you; Don proved to be a family friend in my case, so I have no reason to think evil.

boy, oldies are your eyes closed or what? Well if it makes you feel better to look through your rose colored glasses and see the good in twi then that is your problem.

The only thing that bothers me about it is that you won't see it and basically call the very people that are trying to heal from it all and call them liars.

And let me say, if twi was so wonderful why are you not there? Some people that I know need twi and the control to even survive the world as they can not take care of themselves.

Maybe its time for you to take a look at going back?

Oldies,

It was a long time ago. I only wrote it so that you could start to understand that things were pretty heartless at the BOT level, from very early on. Including Don.

But I'm sure he was a real nice guy... who didn't have the male parts to ask his dad to talk to me.

Shaz

Good grief.

Oldies, I have some particularly nasty memories of personal involvment with Don and his sordid, adulterous liasons. And no, I'm not gonna tell you about it. It involves other people, and it's their story to tell if they choose to, or not.

INMO, Don was a total wimp, in these particular situations, who didn't "do the right thing," when he had the chance. I really doubt he would've acted any differently in any other circumstance. He didn't have it in him, IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

Oakspear, I'll give you my take on it. For folks like VF, who were following and standing with Geer, the letter was bad news because it smoked them out. They already were thinking the worst of Craig for years, didn't think he would change under any circumstances, didn't want to give him any more chances; so it was the end for those folks.

OM,

you said something very profound...

Those who you say, thought "the worst" of lcm...

As it turns out, they were right.

You also said,

Don was a personal and family friend, and all the dealings I and my family ever had with him were honest and above reproach. It's extremely disturbing to hear that he also had problems with adultery; however, I haven't reason to believe he would lie to me -- unless one believes that a person who engages in adultery always must lie about everything else. So no, I don't think Don would have whitewashed anything. Also, giving folks the benefit of the doubt means you're willing to have them prove themselves to you; Don proved to be a family friend in my case, so I have no reason to think evil.

OM,

You and your family may have been an exception on how the bot/bod (including dw) ruled.

By what the twi "leadership" did and did not do... IMO, they have demonstrated that these are NOT people of honor.

quote:
But I'm sure he was a real nice guy... who didn't have the male parts to ask his dad to talk to me.

Shaz

Shaz,

I think Don would have went to bat for you if he could; maybe he knew his talking to his Dad would do no good, so why bother? I don't know. I personally was let down by Craig and Dr. Wierwille myself; I just got over it and didn't hold any grudges.

quote:
INMO, Don was a total wimp, in these particular situations, who didn't "do the right thing," when he had the chance. I really doubt he would've acted any differently in any other circumstance. He didn't have it in him, IMO.

Ex10, aside from the adultery issue, how do you know he didn't do the right thing in his circumstance? Do you know what went on behind closed doors? What decisions he tried to have implemented? What the discussions were? I suppose the only thing that would have satisfied some folks was for him to resign; its been said here before. Some people are just out for blood. But personally, I would have rather had a guy like Don there and give what influence he could.