GreaseSpot Cafe

Suing ministers for sexual assault

JustThinking

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking:

We had a local case, I dont remember all the details.(It was in the papers and I dont even remember the names) I thought however that the Pastor was charged criminally and the church and pastor sued civily. When a Pastor (or one in authority in a religious organization) seduces someone he is coounseling or one that he has control over through preaching, my gut feeling is that it may reach (or possibly could) reach to a criminal degree.

I am not a lawyer. Certainly if someone has been effected in this way they need to seek a district attorney's advice.

You would think if there is precedent in churches, (where people can roam from one church to another), that in an org like TWI, (where movement was restricted due to doctrinal differences with churches), that the influence of people in TWI would be scrutinzed legally far greater. (This is my opinion tho, I am no lawyer)

quote:
Since clergy have a responsibility to set and maintain appropriate boundaries, those who are violated by clergy's inappropriate sexual behavior are not to be blamed even if they initiated the contact.
Rev. Patricia Liberty

I disagree with the above statement. Since a minister is blameable for participating in inappropriate sexual behavior, a participant also is blameable for participation, most especially for initiating it.

Rev. Liberty is supposed to speak for and be a representative of God. Ok, where does it say in the bible that folks who initiate inappropriate sexual contact should be given a free pass?

OM,

The thread is about legal responsibility. The law in the US and many other countries protects individuals from exploitation by those who have undue authority and/or influence over them. Professions such as psychiatrists are recognized as having both a higher level of impact AND privileged information which can be used to take advantage of their patients. The responsibility is on the physician to maintain the appropriate relationship. It is not a moral debate but a legal restriction which is not up for discussion in the laws view.

My question is whether ministers or religious counselors ever fall into this category. I really would like to know the answer. Please do not try to turn this into another "she started it too" debacle. It would probably be easier to sum up that you think the woman bears responsibility, many others disagree and none of you are likely to change your opinion. Is that fair?

JustThinking,

The name of Rev. Patricia Liberty was invoked as a reliable source in these matters. What does her viewpoint have to do with legal responsibility or legal liability? Why didn't you reprove the others for invoking her viewpoints, like you reprove me? Her views are irrelevant to your initial question. No matter, if her viewpoints are being considered in these matters, then all of her statements are fair game.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

quote:
Since clergy have a responsibility to set and maintain appropriate boundaries, those who are violated by clergy's inappropriate sexual behavior are not to be blamed even if they initiated the contact.
Rev. Patricia Liberty

I disagree with the above statement. Since a minister is blameable for participating in inappropriate sexual behavior, a participant also is blameable for participation, most especially for initiating it.

I second that (when it comes to the "victim" initiating the seduction). I have been sharply critical of clergy who abuse their position to satisfy their lusts, especially when they twist the Word in order to do it. Their victims are truly victims. But saying that someone who initiates the contact is "not too blame" takes that view ridiculously too far. Clergy (really anyone, but for the sake of this discussion, I'll limit the comment to clergy) should be aware of the possibility that a congregant could have inappropriate sexual feelings for him/her, and should respond Biblically. But that doesn't absolve the person who initiated the seduction.

quote:
Rev. Liberty is supposed to speak for and be a representative of God. Ok, where does it say in the bible that folks who initiate inappropriate sexual contact should be given a free pass?

Again, agreed.

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

JustThinking,

The name of Rev. Patricia Liberty was invoked as a reliable source in these matters. What does her viewpoint have to do with _legal_ responsibility or _legal_ liability? Why didn't you reprove the others for invoking her viewpoints, like you reprove me? Her views are irrelevant to your initial question. No matter, if her viewpoints are being considered in these matters, then all of her statements are fair game.

AGAIN, agreed.

Liberty seems to think that a single pastor should only be able to date someone from outside his/her own congregation. I submit that this view limits the definition of the term "pastor," but at least makes her extremist position a little easier to understand.

I read somewhere that Billy Graham wouldn't even ride in an elevator alone with a woman; if he was alone on an elevator and it stopped at a floor where a woman alone got on it, he'd get off and walk the rest of the way up.

True, he's a celebrity, not just a pastor, but he must've felt he couldn't be too careful.

betrayal of trust

one stupid little link

http://www.advocateweb.org/hope/moreaboutexploitation.asp

i'm not in the mood for this

i guess if you're talking about some innocent little lamb minister ?????? molested by a trusting follower

i don't know, let me know what the hell you're talking about

and i actually understand more about "real life" situations than you realize

You know, I am simply not going to apologize for every time I mention or acknowledge a scenario that does not fit the one people went through in TWI. What leaders did in TWI was reprehensible and I have said that over and over and over again. The fact that in some OTHER context, some minister might respond to the advances of a perfectly mentally healthy parishioner and that situation would NOT constitute abuse, does not in ANY way detract from the culpability of what TWI's leaders did.

At the same time, I could see why within the same church a statement like the one made by Pat Liberty would make more sense.

Understood, Raf. But I hope you'll also understand our caution about going into hypothetical situations, because some people really want to apply those situations to the young women who were abused in TWI. They want TWI clergy and BOT off the hook, by saying that the women must have done something to contribute to the abuse.

I was not abused by TWI clergy, but I WAS abused in my marriages. During exit counseling in the first marriage, the female counselor wanted to pin some of the cause for the marriage's failure on me. "It takes two to screw," is what she literally said. Yeah, I probably did some things wrong, everybody does in a marriage. But compared to him getting drunk and disappearing for days at a time, committing adultery, and throwing me across a room by the hair, I think the balances weighed against him. His responsibility as a strong man to keep his strength in check far outweighed any "wrong" I might have done in contributing to his anger. That is, unless I took a bat to him! icon_wink.gif;)-->

I am also thinking about Wierwille's teaching that a battered woman has the spirit of masochism, and somehow wants to be abused. Again, the blame shifts to the victim spiritually "wanting" it, and we can turn away from the woman in disgust.

So could there be a theoretical scenario where the follower seduces the young minister, or the male follower rapes the female pastor? Probably. But I would watch very carefully that the theoretical discussion doesn't lend itself in anyone's mind (I know it doesn't in yours, Raf) to the conclusion that somehow those abused women did something that "made" Wierwille succumb to temptation.

Regards,

Shaz

quote:
I am also thinking about Wierwille's teaching that a battered woman has the spirit of masochism, and somehow wants to be abused. Again, the blame shifts to the victim spiritually "wanting" it, and we can turn away from the woman in disgust.

Never heard him teach that. That is just sick. Wow.