GreaseSpot Cafe

Is VPW a Doctor?

TheSongRemainsTheSame

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you have to decide for yourself

Here are links to info on Pike’s Peak Bible Seminary where VPW says he got his Doctorate in Theology.

The first is from John Jude’s site:

http://www.empirenet.com/~messiah7/quz_ipikepk.htm

This is from another site with Cult info- It states that the Seminary is now defunct:

http://www.namb.net/root/resources/beliefb...lts/the_way.asp

A search using the phrase: Pike’s Peak Bible Seminary

Only brings back accurate results in relation to VPW

Remember that with VPW’s German immigrant background (and the Germans love of titles) being a DR. may have been a VERY BIG DEAL to VPW…

He Had a Doctorate, but the institution that granted was never accredited.

The sad thing about the title was that for many of us who were in the ministry and had taken his classes, the degree did not matter one way or the other. We were thankful to God for what VPW taught us.

I really think the degree was for his own self image. Although "Dr Weirwille" does have a certain "ring" to it. And I can't imagine him being anything else

quote:
Originally posted by TheSongRemainsTheSame:

So , VPW was really never a DR.

like a patient sitting in the dentist chair realising this guy only has a BS degree

thanks ckeer.

"It is apparent that Wierwille greatly exaggerated his educational achievements in an effort to appear more knowledgeable and credible as a Bible teacher."

Well,

technically,

he did submit work to an organization, graduate from it,

and receive a Doctorate degree from that organization.

So, technically speaking, he did get a Doctorate.

HOWEVER,

the standards for issuing PhDs is normally a LOT stricter than

used by that organization, and it was never accredited.

So,

whether or not you think that degree is worth the paper it's

printed on is a matter of opinion.

It's not of equal authority, say, as a PhD from Princeton

Theological would have been. That's where he DID earn a

legitimate Master's degree.

If there's anyone out there who initially got involved with twi, or stayed involved with twi, because "Dr." Wierwille had a "Dr." in front of his name, please raise your hand.

I'd be very interested in hearing about your stowry, and how that matters any with one's spiritual life ...

icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by CoolWaters:

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

If there's anyone out there who initially got involved with twi, or stayed involved with twi, because "Dr." Wierwille had a "Dr." in front of his name, please raise your hand.

I'd be very interested in hearing about your stowry, and how that matters any with one's spiritual life ...

The "Dr" before his name gave me ammunition to refute anyone who tried to tell me I was following a flawed mentality.

How would they know? Did they have doctorate degrees? Any degrees at all? No. So they could not have understood the finer details about the bible...like JCING.

It gave vp's teachings validation to me...which in turn made me feel foolish for questioning them...which in turn kept me around twi far longer than I knew to stay.

I've since learned better...titles do not make a case for knowing anything...or for being right.

Coolwaters:

quote:
The "Dr" before his name gave me ammunition to refute anyone who tried to tell me I was following a flawed mentality.
So then, Doctors can't have flawed mentalities?

When someone tried to tell you Wierwille had a flawed mentality, you said "no way, cause he's a Doctor"!??

quote:
How would they know? Did they have doctorate degrees? Any degrees at all? No. So they could not have understood the finer details about the bible...like JCING.
One cannot understand the finer details about the bible, like JCING, without being a Doctor?

quote:
It gave vp's teachings validation to me...which in turn made me feel foolish for questioning them...which in turn kept me around twi far longer than I knew to stay.
If he went by "Rev. Wierwille", his teachings wouldn't have been valid, or as valid?

If you were learning under a "Rev. Wierwille", you wouldn't have stayed as long?

What does his name/title have to do with the content and application of his teachings in your life?

He had to be a doctor for you to apply the principles?

quote:
I've since learned better...titles do not make a case for knowing anything...or for being right.
I guess I've known that all along, cause him being a "Doctor" was irrelevant in my spiritual life. I had been going to twig and got born again for months before I took PFAL, and even then, his so-called doctorate was irrelevant. I hung around that long, cause I thought twi was the best, and I wanted to "do the word", just like most everyone else.

I submit to you that most folks probably didn't even hang around because of "Dr." Wierwille at all; but that's for others to say, I can't speak for everyone.

OM, remember that I got into twi at 16yo. Impressionable...to say the least. If you weren't, then kewl.

"Dr", to me, carried far more weight than "Rev".

I freely admit that the biggest attraction to twi was that it answered the problems in my life...which were numerous...without forcing me to conform to the establishment.

Which is, of course, why twi spent most of its efforts "reaching out" to young people.

Like with any other cult.

A quetion to ask is why did the vicster go the pikes peak diploma mill route if he actually wrote a competent doctoral thesis?

For that matter, why didn't he get his doctorate through a recognized institution? My opinion is that no reputable institution would accept VPW as a doctoral candidate...

Herr Shpinmeister (OM),

You have yet again made the victims of deceit the focus. If his credentials were invalid then that's it. They were bogus.

Let's take TWI and VPW out of the picture. If I am driving down the road and a police car comes up behind me with it's light on, do I assume it's a police officer? Of course. If someone calls himself a doctor and claims a strong acedemic background in biblical research does it give him ADDED credibility to most honest, trustworthy folks? Most likely. I don't have be foolish enough to believe him just because of his degree to make his actions wrong. The focus here is on the merits of his credentials. Whether I believe him or not does NOT change the dishonesty.

The oldest political trick in the book when you can't or don't want to answer the question is to redirect the conversation elsewhere. That, sir, is what I think you are doing.

JT

OM,

My friends has a PHd in Micro Biology.

For a profession she is a medical writer.

She has had a vast majority of things she has written pubplised in various medical journals including the "New England Journal of Medicine".

She also does lectures at various medical writers symposiums.

In short, she knows how to write (and get published from publishers who she does not have control over), and she knows how to speak to large groups of people.

With the title of "Dr" there comes an expectation of a certain quality.

quote:
For that matter, why didn't he get his doctorate through a recognized institution? My opinion is that no reputable institution would accept VPW as a doctoral candidate...
My opinion, which is pure speculation, is that at the time, he was either too poor, or too lazy, or a mixture of both.

JustThinking:

quote:
The focus here is on the merits of his credentials.
And I am asking what Wierwille's fudging his credentials have to do with one's spiritual life? Yes, he fudged. He accepted the term "Dr.", without properly earning it.

So what?

Does that effect your spiritual life?

Does that effect how God worked, or works, in your life, then and now?

quote:
The oldest political trick in the book when you can't or don't want to answer the question is to redirect the conversation elsewhere. That, sir, is what I think you are doing.
The question is already answered. Wierwille isn't a real Doctor. So yes, I am trying to redirect the conversation into asking, what is the point of asking the question?

Does Wierwille not being a doctor matter ANY in one's spiritual life?

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

JustThinking:

quote:
The focus here is on the merits of his credentials.
And I am asking what Wierwille's fudging his credentials have to do with one's spiritual life? Yes, he fudged. He accepted the term "Dr.", without properly earning it.

It's good to see you admit that vpw used the title "Dr" as a con.