GreaseSpot Cafe

Abusive corps-nazis

skyrider

quote:
Originally posted by Sunesis:

I think it all came down to who was chosen, and who wanted the title "rev." bad enough. The Rev. carrot is very important, because that was the top, and that was what many young men strived for. I cannot tell you what an impetus that was for so many men - and they would do whatever it took to get it.

As with every grouping......there are exceptions.

Twi's clergy was vastly different.....in experience, in goals, in leadership styles, in salted commitment towards twi. Sure I could name names to give vivid examples.......but I choose to refrain from that approach.

Some clergy left twi in the 60s.....more clergy left in the 70s.....MOST of twi's clergy exited in the 80s......and probably about three dozen in the 90s (and after). Each with his or her own reasons for leaving.

Yes, the clergy status opened doors for an aspiring leader to keep moving upward.........BUT imo it was the personalized selection and grooming from vpw and/or lcm that MADE THE DIFFERENCE. It was really quite easy to sit back and SEE who the mog was "grooming for his purposes."

Besides.....if truth be known, it seemed like the clergy were very little more than top-notch corps. While on staff, I spent time with several clergy who were department coordinators or whatever. Many of these clergy had never performed a wedding, funeral, etc. One of these clergy women.....who was handicapped.....just wanted to be a support to her husband in way builders.

But yes......those who were ego-driven, groomed, had a clergy status and hobnobbed with vpw or lcm.....YES, those were the ones who'd walk over anybody to have the mog's approval.

Good post,Sunesis...

I don't know if I viewed ordination as a carrot in front of the nose,but rather as a ministry version of "this is my beloved son,in whom I am well pleased"...When it hit me that I wasn't going to be one of the ordained ones,I did a lot of soul-searching,wondering why I fell short...I figured I just screwed off too much and didn't enforce the ministry standards diligently enough to those under my watch...It was disappointing at first,but preferable to trying to be somebody I was not...

The Highway said:

quote:
3 - Eagle and Excathedra, you both have described my experience of the 90s exactly! Pressure, contantly changing standards that no human being could uphold, and the never-ending threat of getting chewed out for some slight infraction, all of which were multiplied if you were corps.

Got me to thinking about people who have lived with alcoholics (or people with other forms of abusive behavior). Because alcoholics are so often out of control, the people who live with them develop the habit of "reading the room" (is it safe, are they in a good mood or bad mood, how do I have to modify my behavior to not cause any waves?). The alcoholic is often a demanding perfectionist with impossible to achieve, often changing standards they subject others to. The people who live with this type of behavior are frustrated, beat down, suffer from low self esteem (for not being able to achieve the impossible), etc., etc.

But some of the longer term effects of having to live this way is that those people sometimes develop their own obsessive, controlling behavior in response to having to live with the often out-of-control alcoholic. Although some of these folks develop into alcoholics or pick up other out of control behavior, some adopt the opposite behavior and become control freaks themselves where neatness, time management, other sorts of nit picky details become an obsession - - out of a pure survival tactic - - to be able to control SOME portion of their current or previous out-of-control lives.

Those are VERY DIFFICULT habits to lose (as I can personally attest to having lived with an alcoholic for 18 years).

The reason I bring this up here is because of the narcissism and alcohlic behavior previously discussed in relation to VPW (and probably lcm)and was, IMHO, present in quite a number of leaders (some of whom come to mind are G*r*ald Wr*nn, D*ve B*dard, LCM, and countless folks who have served in a "leadership" capacity). I think many who were involved in twi and the Corps in particular, developed "control freak" behavior part due to the "group think" of the organization they were involved in, but part (IMHO)as a survival mechanism to the changing standards being mandated by these maniac "leaders" - - which were (and are) impossible to achieve.

J.

Jardinero,your first paragraph describes quite aptly what in-residence training was like...Hell,you got yelled at even if you were on time...depending on the mood of the powers that be...Sometimes we would just laugh because one day you would get yelled at for doing something,and the next day,if Craig or VPW was in a good mood,you would be lauded for doing the exact same thing...

back in the 80's when i was young and easly persuaded i met many nice corps but man where they demanding! was not allowed to have easter dinner with my folks once. they were hurt and i smartened up.i know that seems not a big deal, but i still cringe when i see my now deceased dad's dissapointed face when we didn't show up for dinner.it hurt him and the foot that told me i couldn't go i bought him and his wife a car the next day!! talk about brainwashed!!!!!! oh and yeah vpw was a drunk! i got drunk with him more than twice, but at the time thought i was honored

I think there is a huge difference between a group of 12 or 25 in residence for training...and 500. The first 4 corps were small intimate groups that had a totally different experience than later corps did...and of course the corps that followed the "fog years" were yet another animal.

There was tremendous peer pressure to "establish yourself" as a leader by becoming an a$$hole. Many took to it like a duck to water, others, couldn't bring themselves to treating others that way...the end result was that the a$$holes were rewarded with promotions, while the "nice guys" were shown the door...or at least relegated to a lower position on the feeding tree...Overall, those corps who actually conducted themselves as Christians, eventually walked away...

Yeah, but even my WOW "sister" who was 4th corps was pretty much a Nazi most of the time. While we lived in the same apartment, I was 95% responsible to do all the cooking, cleaning and even some of her laundry. When not at home and in her presence, I was required to address her as Miss ******* rather than by her first name. I even had to be on hand when she sunbathed to oil her back.

This being my second year in TWI I put up with her organic fertilizer pretty much as a servant of God serving the WOG. She was always holding HA up as an example to me.

I tend to agree that the ones who had no aspirations to MOG-dom were wonderful.

Watered Garden, yes, let's not forget some of the women clergy could be just as bad as the men or worse. I have to know, what's was Ms. 4th's initials? I knew them all, I could make some guesses.

Johnny Lingo - you were one of the nicest, sweetest men I knew with a huge wonderful, kind heart for people. You were just a big loving person who played harmonica and wanted to serve God, so don't take it personally when I too wondered how in the heck you got ordained! You were not of that ilk at all, and still aren't. Your story of your ordination under the big tent has to be one of the funniest things I ever heard - you should share it if you feel so inspired.

Sunesis, she may have changed. She was very unhappy at being sent "on the field" and wanted to stay at HQ to be with WC only.

She tried like hell to get the WOW region coordinator to send me home, for no particular reason other than I wasn't WC. About 2-3 months into that year, she looked me straight in the eye and said in her honey-dripping Southern accent,

"Ah don't liuk yew, in fact, Ah cain't stand to look at yew. Why don't you go away, live in Florida or somethin' 'cause Ah don't want to live with someone who's not Wayuh Coe."

I bet Jesus said that to His disciples all the time, right?

PT me and I'll tell you who, if you haven't guessed by now.

WG

lesssee, watered garden, you were in Ft. Worth, right??? (I was in Albuquerque that same year) so I am thinkin' your wunnerful BC was a sewin' type o' gal, with a syrupy Southern accent and initials o' SB --- do I win da door prize???

you must know Miss PA from you year in Ft. Worth; she was from CA and i knew her well before we went WOW. Also DF from cali was WOW there, as well.

wg, I was posting while u posted... I think I am right...

• Upvote 1

Ahh Sunesis.

I just came home for work because I am sheetrocking a project right next to my house. And when I looked here and saw your post I am now all choked up. Thank you very much and I always loved you too. You make me want to be a better person. And, you are so hot , you should stay away from the ice cream coolers, because you will melt all of the ice cream! icon_cool.gif

And yeah, that ordination story really was funny, yes it was. I'll have to tap it out some time...