GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I figured going into this game that the Indians would either (a) wrap up the series in game 4 or (b) lose it all. I'm glad it was (a)!!!

You eternal pessimist! You are of course saying they would have lost game 5 at home with C.C. pitching!

I was around through the end of the game last night but I didnt really feel like whooping it up after I saw the Paw thread.

I wonder if Eric Wedge has any shot at AL manager of the year? I would think so.

Spoken like a true fan, and an honest one, too...that is, just a "probably" but no guarantees.

It would be quite presumptuous of me to profer guarantees. I'm NOT that "tapped in" to the "baseball gods!" :wink2:

I was, however, pleased with the outcome of last night's game. btw, if Steinbrenner is going to fire anyone, it should be the MORON that decided to bring Clemens back for the 2007 campaign... oh, wait, that would be HIMself, wouldn't it?! :eusa_clap:

Lifted, I'm not pessimistic at all. I think they can take the whole thing.

I figured they could regain their momentum in game 4, but if they didn't, they might have a hard time with game 5.

Pessimist?? Not me! I've been a fan since I was a little girl on my grandpa's knee, watchin' the Indians on a black and white set, with corny "Hey Mabel, Black Label, Carling Black Label Beer" commercials breaking up the action. All these years, all these loooooooooooong and heartbreaking years of almost making it and then getting knocked out of the playoffs. Yet I'm still a diehard fan.

No pessimism here. Just a small case of the postseason nerves. Cheering for a team for 50+ years that's never quite made it in all that time does tend to make one jittery. I've earned that right. So let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

You know, it seems like only yesterday that Mom, Dad, Grandma, and I were huddled in the basement during a tornado in '53, while Grandpa was upstairs in the living room, sitting in the dark in front of a blank TV in his red leather chair, banging his cane on the floor and yelling, "Bring back the Indians, damn it!" We figured he'd go the way of Dorothy and Toto, but he lived to cheer and curse his team another day. So when I cheer on my team, I'm thinking of Grandpa and how much he'd have loved to see a team like the 2007 Indians.

We'll see about those BoSox, Rocky. :wink2:

You know, it seems like only yesterday that Mom, Dad, Grandma, and I were huddled in the basement during a tornado in '53, while Grandpa was upstairs in the living room, sitting in the dark in front of a blank TV in his red leather chair, banging his cane on the floor and yelling, "Bring back the Indians, damn it!"

I love other people who have no qualms about showing their age!

We'll see about those BoSox, Rocky. :wink2:

Well, it's OKAY with me if the Indians win... I figure the Dbacks will have an easier time with them than the Sox (which beat the Dbacks two out of three games in Phoenix in June)... :biglaugh: ... of course, that would be IF the Dbacks can knock off the Rockies first! :wink2:

Just practicing my trash talkin. :dance:

I got's a question for Lifted Up....In the Yankees/Indians game,Damon made a great catch on a deep drive with runners on first and third with two outs...Had their been one out,and the runner on third tagged and scored but the runner on first running on contact got doubled off of first,would the run have counted?

Should be some good baseball coming up...I'll save my predictions for after the series are over...

Simonzeloaded: runs don't count on force plays that end the inning do they?

Tom,no they don't...My interpretation or 'wild guess' is that whatever happens before the batter is thrown out at first base or a force out is negated because of the third out...Often the runner on first in a situation where there's runners on first and third and only one out will 'sacrifice' himself and draw the throw from the cutoff man in exchange for the runner on third scoring...But a runner on first who didn't tag and got thrown out is not the same as a force play,and I wondered if him being doubled off would negate the run scoring...

Simon:

Your question, to a baseball amateur like myself, sounds a lot like, "If a train leaves Chicago at 6 a.m. traveling west at 150 mph, and a train leaves Butte, Montana, at 1 p.m traveling east at 200 mph, in what city or town will they have a head-on collision?"

I know I'm an interloper on this thread, not knowing all the finer points of the game and all. But I promise I'll go away as soon as the Indians have their penant. :D

Lifted Up: You've never heard of reincarnation?? I meant to say, "In a former life, in 1953...." My bad.

Edited by Linda Z

simonzee... I was assuming that you meant that the guy on first got doubled off at first before he could tag up... (in which case I don't think the run counts- similar to a DP being turned to end the inning but not completed prior to the runner from third crossing- the run doesn't count even though it got across before the completion of the DP)...

BUT... if the runner we're caught in a rundown and tagged out the run would count if it was across prior to the tag...

...or is that what you just said?

I was going to say the run would count if it scored before the throw got to first. It's not a "force play", since he wasn't forced to run, so it seems in the same category as the run down, where he is only out because he was caught off base, even though they don't have to tag him.

The train going west will go to Denver so it won't run into the train coming from Montana ... :biglaugh:

Otherwise it would run into the Butte train just about 10 minutes outside of Butte assuming it leaves at 1pm mountain time, though a train going 200 mph might derail before it makes it to the other train. ... :)

Edited by rhino

I was going to say the run would count if it scored before the throw got to first. It's not a "force play", since he wasn't forced to run, so it seems in the same category as the run down, where he is only out because he was caught off base, even though they don't have to tag him.

Rhino is right. With no force, the play is reduced to a "time play", simply meaning if the runner from third touched the plate before the third out is made, the run counts.

Edited by Lifted Up

Well, it's OKAY with me if the Indians win... I figure the Dbacks will have an easier time with them than the Sox (which beat the Dbacks two out of three games in Phoenix in June)... :biglaugh: ... of course, that would be IF the Dbacks can knock off the Rockies first! :wink2:

Just practicing my trash talkin. :dance:

I was apprehensive about the Yanks, since they had swept the Indians 6-0 in the regular season. Fortunately i wasnt on the field, and the Indians seemed not to show the same apprehension.

Not to derail this train of thought with my loco motives ... but I'm so happy I was right, though I think Simon was right at first, so Simon and I tagged up and scored before Tom was thrown out at first ...

but the guy would have had to really be off base to not get back before the guy tagging from third made it home.

There are many roads rails, that lead to Chicago, but Amtrak goes north to Butte, and west to Denver ... and we don't even have high speed rail yet ... so Linda, your math teacher was either dumb or a visionary :)

USA-railmap2.jpg

Edited by rhino

Should be some good baseball coming up...I'll save my predictions for after the series are over...

Spoken like a fellow "taxman"...wait until the deed is done then go get 'em...

But if I did my work like that, out finances would be in worse shape than they are...I mean, how many people want to hear that is was partly cloudy and mild yesterday???

Not to derail Rhino's derailment,but my folks take Amtrak every year to Phoenix,but I have to pick them up in Flagstaff,since the Sante Fe tracks that Amtrak leases from the railroad follow old U. S. 66...

Rocky...Are you containing your excitement ok :biglaugh: ...

Lifted,while I gotcha on here,does the batter still get credited with an RBI if he hits a sac fly and the runner on first gets thrown out at second after the runner scores?

Not to derail Rhino's derailment,but my folks take Amtrak every year to Phoenix,but I have to pick them up in Flagstaff,since the Sante Fe tracks that Amtrak leases from the railroad follow old U. S. 66...

Rocky...Are you containing your excitement ok :biglaugh: ...

Lifted,while I gotcha on here,does the batter still get credited with an RBI if he hits a sac fly and the runner on first gets thrown out at second after the runner scores?

1 YES

2 YES (not that I'm any kind of authority).

Sure does. You may be thinking of the batter not getting credited with an RBI on a groundout double play but this is not the same thing.

Edited by Lifted Up

Rocky or Simon- how many does the d-backs ballpark seat, and why are there so many tiks still available? People here are talking of flying down there to see games and still be cheaper than buying the aftermarket tickets here

~HAP

Chase Field capacity is somewhere around 45K.

Not all of the seats accommodate reasonable views. Currently, the least expensive tickets still available for tomorrow cost $60, plus if purchasing online, a boatload of fees.

They've sold nearly all of the seats... they're just b1tching too much.

Sure does. You may be thinking of the batter not getting credited with an RBI on a groundout double play but this is not the same thing.

That's what I told him on the phone earlier this evening.

btw, Hap... IF Rockies fans want to fly down here AND be able to see the game live, they'll likely still have to go through "brokers" (many have convenient "offices" right outside the stadium).