GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

tick tock tick tock

27 outs to go, for a trip to the 2007 world Series. THEN........................

Dbacks best hitter to pitch game 4

October 15, 2007 By Tony Desiere

PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer

DENVER (Ticker) - With the Arizona Diamondbacks fighting for their playoff lives, manager Bob Melvin will round out his lineup by adding the team's best hitter, starting pitcher Micah Owings

The rookie righthander will start Game Four after going 8-8 with a 4.30 ERA this season for the Diamondbacks, who are attempting to become just the second team in baseball history to overcome a three games to none deficit in a best-of-seven series.

Owings comes into the game with a .333 average in 60 at-bats, stroking 20 hits, four home runs and driving in 15 runs. His average is nearly 50 points better than Eric Byrnes - the second-best hitter on Arizona's playoff roster - and his 1.033 OPS tops Byrnes by over .200.

"He definitely brings a different dynamic to the game," Melvin said. "They throw him breaking balls right away. They pitch to him like a hitter right away, and he responds. He gives us an added dynamic when he's in the lineup to having nine hitters." (continued)

-----------

Not that the series isn't pretty much over anyway, but you guys will get a look see at Dbacks rookie pitcher Micah Owings tomorrow night...

I hope it's a good game... :asdf:

:biglaugh:

tick tock tick tock

27 outs to go, for a trip to the 2007 world Series. THEN........................

now Hap... not counting the Chickens while they're still embryos!

That's not how your Rockies got to this point...

Let's hope there's more palatable weather tonight... I severly dislike Baseball when it's below 50 or when it's wet and doubly so when it's both!

Maybe Owings gets them a game!?!?

Nope, I did not count embryos. The Rockies need to get 27 outs, and have the lead at the time to go to the WS. I did not say what happens after that. One crucial game at a time. (this is why I left out anything after THEN.....)

Two rookies for starting pitchers tonight. In addition to the aforementioned one for the D-backs, starting for the Rockies is 21 year old Frank Morales. He was called up to pitch his FIRST MLB game on Aug 18th of this year. 3 wins 2 losses thus far. He has not pitched against the Diamondbacks, and Owings has not pitched against the Rockies.

Hope the two slept well last night. No pressure on either one or anything LOL. Owings only needs to keep the 'Backs alive, Morales is only pitching to get his team into the World Series, 2 months after getting to the big leagues.

MUCH better weather tonight.

~HAP

now Hap... not counting the Chickens while they're still embryos!

That's not how your Rockies got to this point...

Let's hope there's more palatable weather tonight... I severly dislike Baseball when it's below 50 or when it's wet and doubly so when it's both!

Maybe Owings gets them a game!?!?

20 of 21?

What kind of Faustian bargain did this team make in mid September?

If HAP has been watching this whole thing from the beginning of this run-- what transpired to make this happen?

(I'll take a bottle of whatever it is....)

almost nailbitin time in The AL, 2 1/2 hours til game time--Good Luck Linda Z...

Edited by mstar1

I hear ya starman!

If you submitted this as "The Rockies Story" to a studio head they would reject it as too unbelievable... they have to win the last two games of the season and the team they're chasing has to lose the last two... and that team is up by two against Trevor Hoffman in the last inning and he blows the game? and they win their two and the other team loses and then they meet for a playoff and win it and then...

it's a great time to be alive... (well, mostly)

20 of 21?

If HAP has been watching this whole thing from the beginning of this run-- what transpired to make this happen?

:biglaugh: Yes, good insight mstar ... surely they either made a deal with the devil ... or they have been taken over by some alien force?

And yes, if that rocky mountain high comes from the water, maybe I'll have to drink Coors now ... but I guess that isn't all Rocky water any longer ...

Is 20 of 21 some kind of record ... or how many in a row in the playoffs is a record?

But it is cool that even after I heard they were out, they not only won, but the Brewers beat somebody (Padres?) to put them in. They are a team of destiny ... but now they'll probably burn out or get too high, and lose four straight to the Indians or Sox.

Anyway ... six hours of playoff baseball coming up ...

nice old baseball pics mstar

My HD DISH upgrade guy didn't show up yesterday, so I have to wait till tomorrow for that experience :)

I hear ya starman!

If you submitted this as "The Rockies Story" to a studio head they would reject it as too unbelievable... they have to win the last two games of the season and the team they're chasing has to lose the last two... and that team is up by two against Trevor Hoffman in the last inning and he blows the game? and they win their two and the other team loses and then they meet for a playoff and win it and then...

it's a great time to be alive... (well, mostly)

Hey Dr. Strangelove... don't you answer PMs anymore?

we spoke it into being :biglaugh:

2-0 injuns

then ortiz hit by ground ball, I haven't seen that happen all year ...

then a home run almost, just foul ... lotsa bad mojo ...

mstar must have his tongue on the wrong side of his mouth

or Linda has hers on the right side :biglaugh:

Edited by rhino

we spoke it into being :biglaugh:

2-0 injuns

then ortiz hit by ground ball, I haven't seen that happen all year ...

then a home run almost, just foul ... lotsa bad mojo ...

mstar must have his tongue on the wrong side of his mouth

or Linda has hers on the right side :biglaugh:

Hey, don't forget, the Indians have other help around here besides Linda!!!

20 of 21?

almost nailbitin time in The AL, 2 1/2 hours til game time--Good Luck Linda Z...

Nothing devilish at all. This team was told so often that they couldn't do it, they (being largely the younguns that they are) set out to do it anyway. Being healthy has helped, and the team is largely intact. The exception is their opening day #1 starter Cook who was hurt but is ready tobe called back up to the team at any time.

The Rockies have won with a combination of great defense (best fielding perentage in the MLB)- they had 3 double plays in the first 3 innings last night-, solid pitching by the starters AND their bullpen, timely hits by SOMEONE every night even when Matt Holliday with the league leading average fails to come through. Pretty much all the things that make for winning baseball. ADD to that a bit of luck and good fortune and we find them where they are tonight. One win away from going to the World Series.

I believe one has to go back to perhaps the 1970 Baltimore Orioles to see a streak similiar to this at the end of the season. It is unfortunate that playing in the West like they do, that the east coast gets to see them so little. Tonights game starts at 8:15 mountain time (after the ACLS game) and will not end until 11:30 or 12. THAT is 2 am on the east coast. I can't blame y'all for not staying up, but it might be worth it this once.

The Rockies remind me of a little league team in their excitement at what they are doing. Remember when the love of the game and team accomplishment were the biggest things in a boy's life? I thrill to watch the those kids, especially the 10- 12 year olds. I especially like stopping in a park field and watching a pickup game by the youngsters, organized by themselves as they leave school. I wish it happened more often.

Oh, there was one bad omen for the Diamondbacks. The other night their pitcher Valverde stepped on the 3rd base line while fielding a hit. He was visibly shaken by it, and inspected his shoes afterward, as he has stated several times that his ritual is to NEVER step on a baseline. It all fell apart for the 'Backs after that.

Dry weather tonight.

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me

Whew, one game closer! :jump:

MStar, thank you for the "good luck." I saw that just before the game started and didn't have time to post. I'm sorry we both can't win, but then what fun would it be?

Westbrook runs hot and cold so I was a little nervous, but he did us proud. I'm so glad Kenny's back. My son said after the game, "That wasn't as much of a nail biter." And I said to him, "Having just a two-run lead against Boston is still a nail biter!" Gotta give credit where it's due, and Boston has one heck of a team.

Again I say, Whew!

This Bud's for you, Lifted Up. :beer: