GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Someone posted recently that " the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter is aligned with Mars"--It really is...the 60's song said that would be when "peace will guide the planets"--maybe it will be when the Cubs win the world series as well.

The Red Sox won directly under a blood red moon eclipsing in 04...Young men did see visions and old men dreamed dreams...and just about everyone else was full of new wine :drink::biglaugh:

It took me a few years to tone things down around here but I try to play well with others. I really do...even if it doesnt always come off that way..Ive learned to respect them ( well I always have even though for years and years they made me angry over and over and over....now--not so much....)and to bite my tongue and attempt to be civil.

Like Geisha said its like some sort of cultural genetic force somehow planted in most New Englanders DNA to be completely batsh!t crazy about the RS which also includes in the package an atitude toward our neighbors to the south. (:CUSSING:)

Speak freely ----I'll try to keep my Tourettes like syndrome under control for y'all

Meanwhile--we have John Smoltz making his Sox debut tonight. Im going to be watching close to see what he has....Im not looking for him to blow the league away, but a few key victories from him the rest of the way sure would be sweet and could make a big difference.

Welcome tag

welcome tagalong! (he says wondering if he's in the right place... did someone paint the joint?)

what's happened to my stRangers? ...ever since they won that series in Boston they've forgotten how to hit ...we're keeping our fingers crossed hoping that getting Josh back in the lineup will help them snap out of it ...but people all over are starting to wonder if

Thank you for the welcome to Hwy29 and to Tom Strange. Tonight I saw the last two innings of SL Cards vs SF Giants. I am starting to enjoy watching the Cardinals again. They were swinging at some bad pitches but finally won in the 10th inning.

Now for my American League team (the Yankees:)) This from Tuesday night has to help (can you believe this?) Boston Red Sox 10 runs and the Baltimore Orioles 0 at a certain point in the game (I just heard a quick blurb about it, so I don't know what inning that score was at) guess who wins the game? The Orioles of course!!! 11 to 10 remarkable!!! MLB is starting to get exciting now. Make no mistake about it though the Red Sox are damn good (that's why we Yankee fans hate em so much,lol). I am just amazed that Baltimore came back like that (again that was Tuesday night June 30th). I'm pulling for the Cardinals and the Yanks in the world series that's what my heart wants. My mind says it'll be the Dodgers vs the Red Sox. Only time will tell.

This from Tuesday night has to help (can you believe this?) Boston Red Sox 10 runs and the Baltimore Orioles 0 at a certain point in the game (I just heard a quick blurb about it, so I don't know what inning that score was at) guess who wins the game? The Orioles of course!!! 11 to 10 remarkable!!! MLB is starting to get exciting now. Make no mistake about it though the Red Sox are damn good (that's why we Yankee fans hate em so much,lol). I am just amazed that Baltimore came back like that (again that was Tuesday night June 30th). I'm pulling for the Cardinals and the Yanks in the world series that's what my heart wants. My mind says it'll be the Dodgers vs the Red Sox. Only time will tell.

I should have welcomed you too tagalong. . . . welcome. . . okay, so you didn't mention what happened yesterday with the Sox. . . . bottom of the 9th. . . . two out. . . (bottom of the line up!!) and they came back to tie it from a 5 run deficit!! Winning in the 11th!!

Hey Mstar. . . were you there for that?

Married to a Twins fan. . . there has to be some give and take. . . we listened to the game last night on the MLB audio thingy and WOW what a game. 16 innings. . . Twins tied it up twice. . . the second time in the 14th. The Tigers came back to win in the 16th, but that really was some exciting baseball.

For a bunch of toddlers, that is a fun team to watch.

Yea excuse my breach of etiquette--I too welcome you tagalong

Its a good bunch here--hang around and say what you think....

Hey Mstar. . . were you there for that?
I shouldve been :doh:

I was in Maryland the day of the 11-10 game, I thought about going, it was pouring rain and I wasnt feeling all that well so I caught it on the tube at a restaurant/bar instead . Odd thing was that all the locals were Phillies fans even though I was about 35 miles from Baltimore. There are alot of teams packed in a short span around those parts. (Phils, Nats, O's)

A highlight of that day was driving down the New Jersey Turnpike--I stopped at a few rest areas to stretch and getting out I was surrounded by ALL Red Sox fans heading down to Baltimore--At every stop literally Hundreds of em all decked out in game gear.. :biglaugh:

I didnt expect it being a few hundred miles from either place --

...I hope your all tuned in to THE sporting event of the day thats about to start---- Nathans Hot Dog Eating Contest from Coney Island on ESPN---My moneys on Kobayashi :P

Thank you to all for the welcomes. Ok, now I must vent about something? Did ESPN really need to update all of the USA and the whole world up to the minute every batting attempt of Manny Ramiriz last night? Everyone in the world apparently needed to know immediately that Ramirez walked in his first at bat upon return after his 50 game suspension (which was really not a 50 game suspension because he got to play in the minors). I thought it was overkill. They were going to keep up updated later each time he batted against the Padres. I just turned it off. It really was not critically important to me. I like baseball but the Dodgers are not the only team in the world. The player I would choose for up to the minute updates would be of course, Albert Pujols. Pujols is exciting to watch and did not just come out of rehab. I am sure each of you can choose an exciting player to be updated on. Ok, glad I got that off my chest. I feel better now. :)

Mstar & Co.,

I gotta tell someone this.

The other night I had the weirdest dream about Manny. He was at Fenway! Dude was batting in a clown suit with the big fuzzy round buttons and a cone hat with the fuzzy ball on top. I don't know who was pitching but he hit the ball real high and began to do his drop-the-bat-look-at-your-feet-and-trot-around-the-bases thing. He didn't realize that Ellsbury eventually caught the ball. He kept rounding the bases and everyone was laughing.

It was wierd. Maybe it's a metaphor. lol.

Edited by Bolshevik

Mstar & Co.,

I gotta tell someone this.

The other night I had the weirdest dream about Manny. He was at Fenway! Dude was batting in a clown suit with the big fuzzy round buttons and a cone hat with the fuzzy ball on top. I don't know who was pitching but he hit the ball real high and began to do his drop-the-bat-look-at-your-feet-and-trot-around-the-bases thing. He didn't realize that Ellsbury eventually caught the ball. He kept rounding the bases and everyone was laughing.

It was wierd. Maybe it's a metaphor. lol.

Are you sure it was really a dream?

Sounds just like Msnny to me..

Reminds me (except the clown suit part) of when Manny robbed Miguel Cairo with a great catch a few years back--Cairo got all the way around the bases and near to the dugout before he realized he was out. He looked up stunned to Manny in left who just smiled then pointed at him..It was a classic--I'll see if I can dig up the video

Doesn't get much better!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lqiss-Xtp4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lqiss-Xtp4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lqiss-Xtp4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by geisha779

Thats the one----Thanks Geisha--good find!

I remember a different announcer than in that clip when I saw it live..-- Sean McDonough was doing the play by play when I originally saw it--He milked it for all it was worth and made it seem a little more hilarious than whatever those two guys were talking about---Still--- vintage Manny

You would think in a season where every team I'm 'connected' to is having a standout year, or at least in the pennant race, that I'd have more to say.

I've been quiet for reasons too complicated to 'splain right now.

I AM looking forward to Sunday at the Pasadena Library , and the Shrine of the Eternals induction ceremony. I'm curious who will speak for Roger Maris, and hoping Steve Dalkowski is there to accept. The Baseball Reliquary is filled with Baseball geeks, not much different than you would find at a comic book convention. I look forward to it, and will post a report.

Thanks--I look forward to that..

I dont know whats gotten in to me either---as far as not saying much this year---It could be the big work schedule and the deadline Im facing -It has been unusually busy on this end---I know thats the big one for me ----although some of us here (me mostly) on GS are just in a posting slump. I'll break out soon hopefully

For the amount of time over the years weve talked about baseball as a metaphor for life. I was surprised the otherday at the Sotomayer hearings that every other senator seemed to be talking about "umping" and "calling balls and strikes" and using baseball talk as a method to decide whether or not to confirm a justice to the Supreme Court.

I was going to post something about that but got too lazy and couldnt find the right vid.

Whether we post about it or not--baseball is still about a lot of things. Sotomayer saved baseball in 94 --she gets my vote.

I'll be awaiting your report!

Dont scare me like that Bolsh--the way you posted I wasnt sure if it was a done deal--I had to go check....Im on the fence whether to go for Halliday or not---I'd love to have him but I'd hate to give up the prospects...most of those kids are just too good and the future looks bright with them all around---

I know that I'd hate for him to end up on the Yanks--and even that Im conflicted about-It wouldnt be the end of the world because it would further deplete their farm system...

Honestly I'd prefer he left the division all together

I think he'd be a great fit for the Rangers or could be as dominant as Sabathia was last year if he went to someone in the NL --Phillies maybe?

Edited by mstar1
  • Upvote 1

Ive heard (of course what do I know) that the Jays want 4 TOP prospects for Halliday-

Penny has actually been good in his role as a 3 or 4 starter-and from what Ive read Buchholz would be starter on just about any other team. There are others (Bowden,Bard)who could be good ML starters by '10 or '11 who have also been in the rumor mill---I wouldnt do it. The upside isnt worth the cost to me.

Buchholz is getting what might be a showcase start tonight.He has been tearing through AAA but there is really no room for him right now, he apparently is not that happy that he is not pitching in the bigs...Somehow they may make room for him or are getting ready to deal him off somewhere(hopefully in a package with Julio Lugo)maybe for abat at 3rd.

Its all conjecture at this point, just my annual July ritual to guess completely wrong

Id trade Julio Lugo for a hot, flat domestic beer or a piece of prechewed gum at this and still feel like I got the better end of the deal..

Edited by mstar1

crap, I went to give your post a +1 and missed, sorry

Lugo for warm beer :biglaugh:

sorry for the scare

Penny only goes like 5 innings on a good day, gives Masterson the ball

Buchholz does seem a little ancy, and is not proven like halliday is.

It seems like the Jays should hold onto him, but the Yanks taking him? that's scary

I was wondering why my rep was going down!

I was ready to go buy a black leather jacket, get some neck tattoos,and maybe push a few old ladies around after seeing that...

I wouldnt like Halliday with the Yanks either... he is tough but he is beatable( I was wondering if his stock dipped some during the All-Star game).

Who wouldnt want to play for Boston or NY? but I have to wonder if JP Riccardi will deal him within the division, making his job to overtake the two giants all that much harder.. Halliday has to OK the trade--after considering the success of pitchers that go from the AL to NL, I think he could be really dominant if he went to the NL and could make abigger name for himself than he has over the years by being in Toronto.

of course---what do I know?

Edited by mstar1
  • Upvote 1

Lugo came and went with the Dodgers-one hardly knew he was there.

Just like his at bats and fielding now----you hardly knows he's there

EDIT:

as if on cue I went to the sports page after posting this and found Julio has been given his walking papers--DFA'd, cut, fired--however you want to put it...he's lookin for a new job today

Adios Julio

lugo-cut-750584.jpg

Edited by mstar1
  • Upvote 1

well I guess bucholz did okay. I've almost forgotten about dice-k-load-the-bases

I expect a stronger push by the yanks and rays now. this could get ugly. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the season the 3rd place team in the A.L. east also has the 3rd best record in the American League. Not much consolation for not making the playoffs.

The Shrine of the Eternals ,Induction ceremony- an amazing afternoon of everything that makes baseball special. I kind of feel inadequate to explain, but here's first impressions for now.

Steve Dalkowski has lived a hard life. He wasn't up to speaking outside of saying 'thank you', so Ron Shelton, former Oriole pitcher, and maker of movies such as Bull Durham, gave the address.

He was good, but for now I'll cut to the chase. Speaking for Roger Maris was his 'biggest fan' Andy Strasberg. Sure, there are many 'biggest fans' in this world, but this guy...

When he was 13 he first saw Roger play in Yankee Stadium. He decided he was a Maris fan, not Mantle. A sentiment I've come to really embrace over the years. Andy got it back then.

When he was 14 he went to 40 games, Roger got to recognize him, as he always sat in the right field bleachers. Among other things, Andy asked Roger for a bat one day, and Roger told him the next time he hits a home run, he'll give it to him. That was on the road, and when they got back to NY, Roger called to him in the stands and said he had his bat !

In college, Andy bragged about knowing Roger, and his friends called him on it. The went to Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, Roger had just been traded to the Cardinals. Andy and his friends made therir way to the dugout area-Roger turns and says'Andy Strasberg! What the hell are you doing in Pittsburgh ?'-then met and talked with all his friends. Andy was sitting in right field of course, in row 9, seat 9, and Rog was still #9. He hit his first NL home run that day-into the stands where Andy caught it !! A relationship developed over time. Andy went on to work for the Padres. When Roger died, he flew to Fargo for the funeral, and waited for everyone to leave. Roger's son saw him and said, 'hey, you're dad's #1 fan !' Andy said you don't know how much Roger meant to me. Roger's son replied, 'you don't know how much you meant to my dad'. Andy Strasberg is now godfather to one of Roger's grandkids.

There's a lot more, but I'll stop now. If I can only figure how to upload pics here, I have a nice one of me holding Bill Veeck's wooden leg !