GreaseSpot Cafe

A Thread For Quitters

Raf

Last time I tried this, it was about now that my taste buds started coming back. This time, I feel like I just took a cigarette and began chewing on it. Nasty, nasty taste in my mouth right now.

Oh, and Dave, I know what you mean about the smell. I walked into my apartment last night and I thought my cats had exploded, then realized it wasn't their litter box: it was the ashtray.

EWWWWWW!!!!!

No coughing on this end, but I can breathe in deeper now without coughing. icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Oh, and Dave, I know what you mean about the smell. I walked into my apartment last night and I thought my cats had exploded, then realized it wasn't their litter box: it was the ashtray.

My ashtrays are washed and in the basement (I should just throw them out). What smells here are the walls, furniture, etc. icon_frown.gif:(-->

I started washing one wall in the kitchen (which was a brownish color), and lo and behold -- underneath the brown it was white!! I didn't finish washing it yet, and am tempted to leave it half-way done --- as a reminder to myself that my lungs probably look worse than that. icon_eek.gif

Krys -- what is FeBreese?? Is that an aromatic cleaner? I could use some - I'm thinking.

David

Look in the laundry section for FeBreeze (I' not sure how it's spelled).

It comes in a trigger squirt bottle and it is an odor remover that works without leaning any other smell behind. Until you can run all your stuff through the washer or dry cleaner, spray with this stuff and you will not smell like a smoker.

It will also work on furniture and drapes. Trust me.

quote:
It comes in a trigger squirt bottle and it is an odor remover that works without leaning any other smell behind. Until you can run all your stuff through the washer or dry cleaner, spray with this stuff and you will not smell like a smoker.

It will also work on furniture and drapes. Trust me.

I'll look for it tomorrow. (I trust you!) icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

Just another (hopefully) helpful tidbit:

several years ago, I saw a commercial for a product called Topol, a tooth polish specifically designed for smokers. The actor took a puff on a cigarette and blew through a cheesecloth handkerchief. He showed the hideous, brown ring and exclaimed, "If cigarette smoke can do this to this handkerchief, think what it's doing to your teeth." I thought, "TEETH???? What's it doing to your LUNGS???!!"

Have a nice day.

George

I have been smoking for 37 years...

The idea of quitting gives me cold sweats.

It's a filthy, expensive, self destructive habit that makes your breath and your home smell like a ____________________ (fill in the blank)

Raf...only 18 month old habit?...quit now while you can...In spite of what our good friend who pulls teeth for a living says...the addiction is powerful...If I only had 3 dollars to my name, I would buy a pack of smokes and forego eating...For me, to be out of Marlboros is akin to being held under water and not being able to take a breath. I wish I were the non-smoker that I knew to be... icon_frown.gif:(-->

quote:
I have been smoking for 37 years...

The idea of quitting gives me cold sweats.

Groucho --- I have been smoking for close to 40 years now. Have quit from time to time, but always went back to it -- and I hear ya about the food versus smokes thing. icon_frown.gif:(-->

I have known I need to quit for good for a while now, and this here offers me the *excuse* I have looked for. You are welcome to join Karmic, Raf, and myself. I don't know about the others, but the older I get, the less I function if I continue to smoke, and I know I am bringing it on myself.

You can be the ex-smoker you know yourself to be!

David

"IT'S THE CIGARETTE THAT SMOKES. WE ARE JUST THE *SUCKERS*"

I'm proud of y'all!

I've quit many times. icon_smile.gif:)--> The one thing that helped me most was Kevin Klein's "7 Days to Quit Smoking" tape. It's a little 15-20 minute section you listen to each morning and it tells you today what changes are going on in your body and gives you tips on how to combat which stage of withdrawal and cravings you're probably going through.

quote:
I think it's easier this time. No cravings today at all.

How's it going, David?

If ya wanna know -- yesterday, and today was tough.

Reason I say that is because the guy that does the "every other Friday night over-night" at the group home was working this week-end, and his favourite phrase is -- "Smoke break??"

I had to tell him "Sure -- go for it", and then not join in. Mike is his name, and he is hooked on smoking (he always has a *spare carton* of cigs in his car, at all times). He and I have spent many a moment on the back deck with cigs in hand, and talking about whatever.

He came on duty at 4 pm Friday, and got off duty at 4 pm Saturday. Given my shift there at the house, I work with him for a total of 8 hours -- and to hear "Smoke break??" every half hour or so, was a real temptation.

Luckily, he does not work for another two weeks, so I can continue to build up my resistance before he comes back on duty, since no one else there smokes like he does. icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

oh -- a quick ps. here -- By *friday night over-night* - I mean that he is there for 24 hours, nonstop. His schedule, and mine overlap by 8 hours (4 hours each day), so I have to put up with a truely dedicated smoker for those 8 hours, over a two day period.

As I said -- luckily, he only works every other Friday, so my resistance will be even stronger by the next time he shows up for work. icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

I'm proud of y'all!

I've quit many times. icon_smile.gif:)--> The one thing that helped me most was Kevin Klein's "7 Days to Quit Smoking" tape. It's a little 15-20 minute section you listen to each morning and it tells you today what changes are going on in your body and gives you tips on how to combat which stage of withdrawal and cravings you're probably going through.

Soooo --- Belle. Are you a *quitter* too? wink2.gif;)-->

David, I've quit trying to quit! redface.gif:o-->

I go through phases where I quit and it's easy then phases where I try to quit and it's just frustrating as all get out. I don't smoke so much anymore because no one at work smokes, I only smoke on my way to work and the way home then maybe a few more at night. I've already got so much stress in my life for now that that would just be one more thing, and I don't have the mental and emotional energy to fight it.

My next step, though, toward cutting down is to quit smoking in the house. It's just too easy to light up when you don't have to go outside. Besides that, the smell... I do pretty good at keeping the house from smelling like smoke with candles, Febreeze, vacuuming and whatnot, but it would be so much better without having smoke in it at all. icon_smile.gif:)-->

• 2 weeks later...