GreaseSpot Cafe

A Thread For Quitters

Raf

Raf, I smoked about two packs a day for over ten years, and quit, cold turkey. It's been about eighteen years for me so far.

No regrets of quitting.

I go through some real strange things though- sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night from a dream- I dreamed I was smoking- I wake up gagging.. heh heh.

This thread reminds me of the Bloom County cartoon where Steve is trying to quit smoking and he is locked up with Opus. Opus crawls into the toilet and calls 911. Tells them he's being held hostage and that the Tidy Bowl is irritating his buttocks.

Steve grabs Opus by the neck and holds him up for the gang to see and has a sign or yells, "A carton of Camels by noon or penguin pate!"

I can't find it on the web, but I have it at home and will try to scan it tomorrow. It's hilarious!

Heh heh..

One thing to consider..

When I quit, I did not change eating or exercise habits. The body seemed to process food MUCH more efficiently.. some areas seemed to grow at an exponential rate.

Don't know your health or exercise habits but.. exercise may help matters.

I hope this does not put me on the "hit" list, heh heh.

Raf,

It's been two weeks and no smokes?? Are you doing the patch or chewing Nicorette gum?? When I quit smoking after leaving TWI I was over it in about three days.. much like George Aar said. Oh, I'd instinctively reach for my shirt pocket when getting on the phone of grabbing a cup of coffee. But that was reflex.. I wasn't craving cigs after the third day. I'm wondering if you're prolonging the misery by using low dose nicotine.

sudo

Raf,

No, I got no headaches. I just kept reaching for a cigarette at times I associated with smoking. Gradually, I quit reaching. I never think about 'em anymore so remember that when you get tempted to stick one in your mouth and fire it up.

Interestingly, a very high percentage of people start back smoking months after they've stopped and are over the cravings. confused.gif

sudo

Yep...I got headaches. It was a b*tch...but one of the teachers I worked with who'd quit guided me to a cup of coffee...something about the caffeine and some advil. Just had to be careful bout frequency so that the caffeine wouldn't take the place of cigs.

Seems cold turkey is about the best way, if you can do it. I think the hard part for me was having to deal with other folks smoke. Sometimes ex-smokers can be more nasty about it than folks who never smoked to begin with.