GreaseSpot Cafe

The most ludicrous thing you heard, from those "in da know"

Ham

They spent *months* comparing the quality of video and audio between beta and VHS.

What they didn't take into account was that Sony had all the patents for Beta all locked up, and therefore Beta could never rise to be an industry standard, and therefore the price could never come down below that of VHS, and therefore would never have a competetive edge, and therefore die a painful death.

I *did* prefer the quality of video and audio of Beta, and I *did* prefer the smaller size of the Beta tapes.

But I reaaaaallly resented the fact that my Beta machine was obsolete before its time.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hammie,

All music written in a minor key is devilish.

Yes, sadly it is true.

All that soulful, heart longing, sorrowful, lush, rich, feeling, beautiful music...in the toilet...

Voilà! Another devil spirit infestation thwarted!!

So easy...1, 2, 3...just keep throwing out them devil spirits right out your door and into your landfill sites.

Sheeeshh...them landfill sites must be an area of 'ill repute'. Those poor b*stards who have to work in those places...they must be possessed. nono5.gif It's all making sense now. banghead.gif

I remember hearing about microwaves. craig went on about how he didn't understand how they work and they couldn't possibly be healthy.

It got real quiet in the room as you could just hear people thinking, "Whaddan effen idiot!!" That was never brought up again in our area.

I remember hearing the minor chord thing too, Ala. Fool those fooling fools foolishly flinging flying lies at us.

quote:
craig went on about how he didn't understand how they work and they couldn't possibly be healthy

Thankfully, I missed this one..

Good grief, either he knew or he didn't. "I don't know, but I DO know after all.." What a frigging idiot.

Unlike nuclear stuff, cosmic rays, xrays, and UV, microwaves emit a non-ionizing radiation- which in terms even Loy should have understood, "all it does is heat the food."

Oh yes- your common run of the mill oven also emits non-ionizing radiation. I am almost suprised he did not lambast the ordinary kitchen stove- if he did not know how a microwave worked, he would not know how an ordinary oven works either. Ludicrous.

Personally -- I don't like minor keys. But then again -- ya find them everywhere, and I always follow the old twi adage:

Replace one minor with three majors,

(or was that):

Replace one negative with 3 positives??

icon_confused.gif:confused:--> icon_confused.gif:confused:--> icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

I don't remember! Someone give me a book so I can do some RESEARCH on this stuff !!

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_razz.gif:P--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

And on a more serious note (no pun intended), I remember the first time I

heard/saw the tape of Athlete's of the Spirit.

Everything was in a minor key, not a d@mn thing uplifting about the music, and I went away feeling depressed as h*ll, just from the music being played.

Now -- I'm not gonna blame that on the *debbil*, but I will say that nothing got

*resolved* into a major key, and it really did leave one feeling empty.

Minor keys add emphasis to any song/tune/whatever -- but if they are the major focus of the tune -- they add nothing to me. Twi did an excellent job of ignoring it's own crap they were spouting, when it came to one of their own productions.

In other words -- they practiced ...., and taught the opposite as gospel.

David

quote:
Music written in a minor key? What the hell pegged them to that, the word minor?

I don't think so. When you play a minor key, you are flatting the third (the middle note of a chord), and it leaves something to be desired. That's what I meant by

*resolution* -- resolution is the culminaton of a buncha notes, into something

*positive*, that sounds good, and leaves the listener feeling fulfilled.

Minor chords are a lot like making a gourmet meal, and leaving out a key ingredient --

it doesn't taste the same, unless that ingredient is there.

That being said, there are some tunes that are built around minor chords that are absolutely beautiful as well. The "soulful, lush, heartfelt music Ala spoke of is valid.

For twi to make a blanket statement about the validity of some chords over others, and then go ahead and use those same chords that they preached against in one of their *major* productions smacks of elitism.

We are told it is wrong, but it is ok for them. banghead.gif

Well -- it's been said before, and I guess I'll say it again:

Ya can't polish up a turd.

David

quote:
Well -- it's been said before, and I guess I'll say it again:

Ya can't polish up a turd.

But David, they sure can try!

You may not have noticed, but derails are welcome in my threads.. I don't rule with a iron fist or anything. icon_razz.gif:P-->

But all the talk about minor/major chords really does exhibit just another one of the more ludicrous things some of us have heard.

quote:
But I reaaaaallly resented the fact that my Beta machine was obsolete before its time.

Oh yes. And there was nothing like obsolesence three times in a row. Correct me if I am wrong, Steve!, but as I remember it, there was BetaII then BetaIII. If you bought a Beta II, it would not play Beta III format. Finally, Beta III was a gonner, largely due to great improvements in VHS. Some people ended up buying THREE machines, if I remember correctly. Actually, four, when they finally got a VHS unit..

But like Frankenstein's monster, that refused to die, and return, sequel after sequel..

Beta lives on! 8 MM beta, anyway.. at least until a couple of years ago. I think that may be gone now, haven't gone shopping recently to know..

edited for darn spelling errors..

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni