GreaseSpot Cafe

The most ludicrous thing you heard, from those "in da know"

Ham

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
When we were in Residence we were taught during MAL training that if we are ever chased by dogs when they are hunting us down we should urinate against a tree and sprinkle Cayenne pepper on it. this kills the dogs sense of smell for 24 hours.

We could start a completely different thread on how women were supposed to be able to pee against a tree. I guess in rare occasions, some can. I, personally, wouldn't want to try.

Wayfer Not! was that related to the urinals in the women's bathrooms? Were they there for practice?

How many times did you have to stay at someone's house overnight because a hurricane was coming and they wanted everyone to be together? I would have much preferred to stay in my own bed in my own house, besides....didn't we always pray away the hurricanes?

"God had a form of rocket fuel underneath the continents. This is what made them to divide in the days of Peleg".

Not exact words, but if anybody kept their WAP syllabus (I didn't icon_smile.gif:)-->) maybe they could give me the exact wording..

Unbelievable..

"The devil froze stuff out and brought the ice age"

Equally ludicrous.

There has been more than one ice age. Well, must've been more than one fall of lucifer then..

"Physical matter is antecedant to light"

Equally ludicrous. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Actually, there ARE vast stores of natural gas (methane) trapped on the ocean floor in special crystalline structures called clathrates. Estimates vary, but there may be more ocean-based natural gas than land-based.

I doubt, however, that God used methane to move the continents.

George

From the same article:

quote:
]During the formation of gas hydrates, methane and water become immobilized within the sediment pore spaces. Because of the presence of these solids (instead of pore waters and gas), the sediment can not become consolidated because the water can not be expulsed with increasing overburden as more sedimentation occurs. Cementation of the sediments does not occur when pore spaces are filled with hydrates (solid ice) rather than with water, from which minerals such as calcite can be precipitated. Gas hydrate rich sediments are thus cemented by the hydrates, which may occupy much of the sedimentary section, but which are not stable when the temperature rises or the pressure falls.

This may lead to problems during continued sedimentation and further burial of the gas hydrates: the hydrates will become buried so deeply that the temperature will increase according to the regional geothermal gradient. The hydrates will then no longer be stable, and will disintegrate into a liquid water and gas mixture. The basal zone of the gas hydrate becomes under-consolidated, possibly over-pressured because of the release of the methane, leading to the development of a zone with low shear strength where failure could be triggered and massive landslides could occur. With the landslides, more gas could escape.

Landslides. Not something of more of an epic proportion, like throwing continents around, halfway around the world..

OK. Everybody, don't thank me at once, heh heh.

We were taught in the Advanced Class that the devil can dematerialize things.

Vee Pee said he thought it happened when one time something at their office disappeared, and no matter how much they searched, they couldn't find it.

I remember thinking, "That's the only time that's ever happened to you???"

To this day that crosses my mind when things seem to "disappear." Usually they show up, but other times I wonder. Where do things go?

quote:
We were taught in the Advanced Class that the devil can dematerialize things

Reminds me of a story, heh heh.

I recently found "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" and Barnes and Nobles.. hadn't seen it for years! Just HAD to buy and read the darn thing..

Reminds me of the part about Owsley's bad trip..

quote:
Reminds me of the part about Owsley's bad trip..

OK.. can't spoil anything with a forty year old book.

Apparently Owlsley took a little too much of his own remedy. The whole universe fell to pieces, atom by atom, until there was just one atom left of Owsley.

With his cast-iron will, he slowly began reconstructing the universe one atom at a time. He reconstructed the plants, the roads, and even his car. He got in his car, took off, and ran into a tree that he had not reconstructed yet..

You have to read Tom Wolfe's rendering of this to really appreciate it, heh heh.