GreaseSpot Cafe

Prayers for the Gulf Coast (Katrina)

Raf

I had no power through the night. It was kind of strange. This all stopped for us as suddenly as it started. As we approached 10 p.m. was the worst of it, and at 10:05, it was over. I was home, in the dark, windows open, trying to get some sleep (because there was nothing else to do). The rain and wind were as bad as anything I've ever seen. And then it just stopped. I figured another band would come through later, but it never happened.

What I didn't know, couldn't know, was that the storm had taken a rough turn south. It battered the hell out of Fort Lauderdale, but we were on the northern edge of it. It made landfall south of us, a city called Hallandale (just north of Miami-Dade County). Then it shocked us all by continuing its southward trend. By the time I woke up this morning, the skies were cloudy but otherwise showed no sign of what it had thrown on us the night before. Homestead and Southwest Miami-Dade got battered worse than we did.

And did I mention it was the 13th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew?

The rest of the track isn't looking good: it's slated to turn north and hit the Panhandle region next week. As if they need it.

For me, this is over. For Florida, far from it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
And did I mention it was the 13th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew?

Didn't even think about it. Wow. I first moved to FL 2 weeks before Andrew (of course this was my initiation to FL). At the time, I lived in Sarasota and it was supposed to be the kids first day at their new school.

Memories. Whew! Now I'm about to be a grandma for the 3rd time. (Waiting for the phone to ring. My daughter had a doctor appt this afternoon and she is dilated 2cm. She "didn't feel well" after the appointment, but went to work this evening anyway. Will baby RJ be born this weekend?)

Charlie was a Cat 1 by the time he hit Orlando and out of all the hurricanes I went through last year that was by far the scariest and worst regarding damage and sleepless nights at my house.

(((((GC))))) Take care!! Sending many many prayers your way!

Praying for those in Katrina's path...stay safe!

I saw some woman in Miami commenting on CNN yesterday morning. She was quite surprised that winds of "only" close to 100 mph could do so much damage. Well, duh!

Edited by Linda Z

It's a miracle that New Orleans is still there. With all those streets of old, attached buildings in the French Quarter, I'm surprised a modern-day fire hasn't wiped it out, never mind the floods and hurricanes.

Suz, if you're lurkin', your son's in my prayers, along with gc and a friend of mine down there and the rest of the city. It would be great if Katrina were to suddenly veer off into some uninhabited area or take an unprecedented U-turn back over the gulf waters and just fizzle.

Nevertheless, I hope people have the sense to get the heck out of there.

I'll be calling family in Baton Rouge, Jackson, MS and other southern cities who will be in the path of Katrina and the Waves to make sure they are hunkering down and taking it seriously.

Charlie came into FL from the opposite side of the state from me, but still, what 100+ miles away?, he was a Cat 1 and still caused catastrophic damage with "mere" icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> 60-85 mph winds.

Prayers are needed for all those in the path of Katrina. If she, indeed, stays as big and powerful as she is this morning, those on the coast are not the only ones in danger.

Praying fervently for those in the path.....

Belle, I was just thinking that as I watched the pictures of the looming Katrina on TV. One weather guy said Katrina's like a gigantic F3 tornado. Very scary.

At least when we have tornado warnings in my neck of the woods, we can take to our basements or, lacking a basement, can hunker down in the center of the house or in the bathroom, where the plumbing stacks offer some structural support. But if this hurricane causes massive flooding, as expected, that obviously won't be an option. They're now saying go to the third floor. Well, that pretty much sucks for someone with a one- or two-story house!

I can't imagine why anyone in New Orleans would opt not to leave. Some people have such a cavalier attitude toward these storms. I used to think I might feel that way until a month or so ago when I got caught driving in an isolated but powerful storm that rolled in off Lake Erie. It was said to be equivalent to a category 1 hurricane, with winds around 90 to 100 mph.

Good Lord, if that was "only" a category 1, I don't even want to imagine the force of a category 4 or 5. It tossed small planes and helicopters around at the small lakefront commuter airport like toys and popped the windows out of buildings and cars.

The region of the country in or near Katrina's path for sure needs our prayers.

I assume you're talking about Evan P... he is in Baton Rouge, which is much better situated than New Orleans, though still not great. I lived in New Orleans for 15 years post twi, so have lotsa friends there. The "great flood" they talk about probably won't happen, but it could, and this looks exactly like the nightmare scenario. I hope I still have a place to stay if I wanna go to Mardi Gras icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by TheEvan:

We'll be okay, and I just LOVE losing power for a week. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I lost power for 4 days during last hurricane season.

I was watching CNN & they said that the ones that are staying are those that don't have any way out. People that don't have cars or tourists and business people. They don't have any planes or trains going out or rental cars available.