GreaseSpot Cafe

Prayers for the Gulf Coast (Katrina)

Raf

I was in New Orleans last time it was mostly evacuated, we had no power for a couple of days, but did have alcohol ... which is very important ... Also i was in apartments near the lake, so a bunch of us hung out and went up to watch the waves and wind ... it was kinda fun, but it was no Katrina

Hi evan, I am that new orleans window cleaner ... hope all is well with you icon_smile.gif:)-->

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We caught one of Katrina's bands and it spurred up a bit of a tornado through the southern end of Carroll Co and on up into Haralson Co, causing some damage and injury along the way. I think 30 homes and at lesat 10 chicken houses were destroyed and several folks were injured. Our Roopville residents done themselves proud with how they are taking care of their less fortunate neighbors.

A GS friend of mine told me via email that she was staying in New Orleans. I don't know whether she stayed in her home or not. We communicated via email, and I don't have her phone number. I emailed mine to her Sunday night, but if she didn't get to her email before Katrina hit, she has no way of contacting me. I'm worried about her and don't know how to find out if she's okay. Suggestions anyone?

hey psalm

the storm did a lot of damage, but it wasn't a direct hit and it looked like things weren't too bad till the levee broke. That was after the storm though, and the slowly rising water gave most people time to get out and up I'd guess, but the flooding is massive now.

I guess the water is still up in the Lake. They say some large bridges are out ... news is still sketchy. They said both airports are under water. Last I saw the water wasn't that high in the Lake, musta been taped earlier. Even though the big buildings survived, where are all the workers going to live? They say 80% of the city is under water. This is a real mess.

quote:
I'm worried about her and don't know how to find out if she's okay. Suggestions anyone?

No suggestions, but perhaps a word of comfort. The vast majority of people who stayed in New Orleans, though facing extreme discomfort, inconvenience, and property loss, will be safe.

This might be a place to start to get information on people.

I was able to check with the parish my sister in law lives in.

Worth a shot maybe

"To find out about conditions in your home parish, you can find a listing of homeland security and emergency preparedness offices and telephone numbers at http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/Parish/parishoepnumbers.htm

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

Now I do have a suggestion: Don't call any government offices seeking information about people. They need to concentrate on helping people and coordinating recovery efforts, not on fielding calls from concerned people across the country.

I agree with long gone.

Getting a listing of people in the shelters might not be the highest of priorities in the larger scheme of things.

The main focus is on rescueing and taking care of survirors. I am sure that many admin. functions are on the "back burner".

quote:
Getting a listing of people in the shelters might not be the highest of priorities in the larger scheme of things.

The main focus is on rescueing and taking care of survirors. I am sure that many admin. functions are on the "back burner

As I said, I understand that. Psalm, I'll pt you, I'm obviously not communicating myself properly.