GreaseSpot Cafe

Micro Management in the Way

Eagle

I remember leading a fellowship that grew from four to 15-21 people in its peak. I began with four, rose to 15, then rose again to 21. Then it disintegrated down to two, my roommate and I. What changed?

What made it grow I believe was offering coffee, both caffienated and decaf with different kinds of cream to people that came, along with donuts or pastries to make them feel at home or in case they came and skipped breakfast. I had about fifteen minutes of time to let people know each other before beginning and never asked why people were "late", which occurred at times. In fact, I would personally greet them at the door and shake their hands and let them take a seat telling them how glad I was to see them and let them either have time to get coffee or refreshments or I would get it myself for them. I would then settle back and continue fellowship.

I kept the temperature a warm 72-75 degrees in the cold winter and took their jackets to my bedroom. Women held their purses with them with their Bibles. In the summer we cooled the place to 70-72 degrees and served cold drinks with coffee. Children were welcome with their parents.

The teachings were not led from HQ or a Sunday Night tape but based on what I perceived to be the need of the fellowship. I did not teach on tithing but only called it love offerings or ABS. I advised I did not expect nor would teach on the tithe. Give what they wanted. Teachings included practical things such as the love of God at home, family relationships in the Bible, how to biblically get along at work, or just new research that TWI did not come up with but I came up with myself. I sometimes opened the fellowship for others to teach and they could teach on whatever they wanted so much as it was from the Word of God. They had the right to disagree with Wierwille or TWI.

Before fellowship I often played Christian contemporary or instrumental music and not TWI material. People did feel relaxed listening to it as they settled in. I gave an hour and a half after fellowship for people to hang out there and just talk and sometimes we went out for breakfast or I would play a biblical movie or another movie for fellowship.

After hitting 21 active adults, I invited a branch coordinator to come in. This was a mistake. When he saw my music, he pulled my Christian contemporary tapes out and advised me they may have devil spirits involved. He put in Singing Ladies of the Way. Not a bad tape but it had been heard over a hundred times. He also said to offer the coffee and eats after fellowship and not before, and also advised people should not be taking bathroom breaks during the fellowship. He then said that every other week we should be playing the Sunday Night tapes for fellowship and only teaching otherwise from the collaterals. People that were late were not allowed in. After fellowship, people were expected to leave. I also had to teach on the tithe.

Since I was aspiring Way Corps at this time, I obeyed everything like a whipped puppy. The fellowship withing three months went from 21, to 12, to 8, to five, to four, and finally to 2.

I hope I have written something on home fellowships on at least what NOT to do.

Eagle

Can I come to your fellowship Eagle?

Was it social or for "da Word"?

Who cares?

They could be sleeping in, but instead they came to enjoy the sweetness of God and His people.

So sad leagalism set in. People need a shepard, not a butcher.

Glad to see you were just lovin God and His people.

Your way was pretty much the format for the seventies way, except for the music. In the early days there wasn't much "ministry" music except Pressed Down & Selah: by mid-seventies there was more variety, so we stuck to that for background music. We encouraged people to fellowship before and after; that was part of what ministering to people consisted of. And (horrors) by running things that way the population of the ministry grew!

Any time things got "legal" the fervor lessened considerable. "Legal" and "Love" just doen't mesh. Things can be as you described and as we ran it and still be decent and in order: that's what leadership is all about. Who sets the tone? You do. IMHO, that is.

When I was tc in the 70's, our twig was much like Eagle describes...

People had fun and we all enjoyed each other's company. Nobody was afraid of being yelled at...it was relaxing and at times inspirational...

I still have a hard time understanding why twi began to micromanage everything. It became mechanical and rigid. It became religion. Near the end of my time in twi, the main way to get people to come to twig was to motivate them by guilt and fear...

What started out as inspirational get togethers evolved into cult ceremonies...They should have known better. Was control THAT important to them?...apparently so.

Thanks, guys.

Next time I run a home fellowship it will be by my rules and my rules alone. Which are fewer rules. The only rule I had was the rule of love one toward the other.

It's funny. The ABS without tithing with the 21 people averaged about $700.00 a week. When I enforced the tithe, people left. Vanished. The ABS dropped to $450.00 a week. As the rules increased, we went finally down to 2 people, ABS was $120.00 a week. The two of us left tried to push 15% because the financial totals looked so bad. Things got worse.

Left alone to grow, we could have easily surpassed $1000.00 a week or roughly $52,000 to $55,000 a year. One fellowship. Love offering and not tithing. Some of the people told me they tithed because they wanted to. But when told they HAD to, they got extremely upset and not only left the fellowship but TWI. I believe they tried a couple of other fellowships in our branch before dropping, but we all had the same order to push the tithe.

Finally, the fellowship died when my roommate went to work at HQ. What was the use? I closed up shop and moved.

It has always been my opinion that people gave the most when they wee left to give from their heart. Force 10% and you'll get less - because you've shifted the standard and lowered it form the Law of Love. Fuuny how TWI lost that concept...

Geee.that is quit different from the fellowship I left in late 99'

If its 10:30 Sun.morn and your late..you cannot go in

If your not there you better be in the hospital deathly ill.

If you were not there you can expect a call...why

Mandatory 3x a week...I drove 1 hr. 15 one way

Hand in my travel form 3 wks before traveling to see fiance'

fill form, where was I staying, time left, date returning, ph number,fellowship coordinators name, who was I visiting, etc.

no debt

15 % abs

attend all classes

better hug BC(TC) or your in suspicion of not walking in love...

If you had a spouse not in attendance..were where they?..ok, to go to parent teacher conference maybe?

TWI HQ sent a loser of a Branch coordinator to our area to replace the loving one they had thrown out. This one was so anal and obnoxious he even micromanaged his kids with a schedule on the fridge of what they could eat for snack in AM and PM (and what time those snacks were), and how they could not come to fellowship unless "invited." I remembered being over there for a fellowship starting at 7:30 and the kids, who were in elementary school, had been confined to their bedrooms since 7 p.m. That jerk managed to take a thriving branch and run off about 75 percent of us ... but it is just as well. The other 25% of us formed our own fellowship/church and are doing quite wonderfully ... with NO schedules attached to the fridge and actually do Children's Church for the little ones. Amazing how legalistic and micromanaging those people became .... and how quickly.

Welcome, Dog Lover!

I was going to offer you a cinnamon bun fresh from the oven, but Radar's pug knocked it out of my hands. :nono5:

I'll have to go back for another one.

TWI taught about growth without compulsion - growth from within, but they forced it. Sounds like a great concept till you're told that they are yelling at you to get things straight because they love you.

I want you to give 15% so that God can bless and protect you. I'm helping you grow, see?

I want you to tell me your daily schedule in 15 minute increments so I can help you grow.

I don't need any friggin' help from you and if that's help, then I don't want any, thank you.

072805_004.jpg

Ummm would you believe me if I told you that I had 7 horses/ponies as well?

Believe it or not it wasnt` planned that way :)

I only have four cats though...can I make it up in iguannas, geckos turtles and fish?

No ya got to get 3 more cats in order to get this perfection thing.

Edited by moony3424

I love dogs ... but don't have one ... although if I had a good place for one, I would be sure to have a couple ... I have a good friend who has a black Lab/Chesapeake mix ... I get to see him fairly often, so I guess he is my favorite dog du jour.

BTW, one BIG difference between TWI II and the home-based church I now attend is this: when one of the members' dogs was sick, we prayed for him to get better. Try THAT in TWI. They hardly let you pray for the regular people in TWI 2.

Edited by DogLover

BTW, one BIG difference between TWI II and the home-based church I now attend is this: when one of the members' dogs was sick, we prayed for him to get better. Try THAT in TWI. They hardly let you pray for the regular people in TWI 2.

Yep, that'd NEVER happen in TWI!

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three treats in your hand and only giving the dog two! :biglaugh:

Unless it was Doc Wierdsville making intercession for Tick.LOL!

I remember leading a fellowship that grew from four to 15-21 people in its peak. I began with four, rose to 15, then rose again to 21. Then it disintegrated down to two, my roommate and I. What changed?

Yea. Sounds familiar. Very familiar. My first real Twig was quite prosperous in terms of growth and most of us knew each other so before long we had a Twigful of people who were really looking to make something happen. We started out around 4 but within 6 months we had 50 people show up for one Twig so we took it outside to a nearby park. More realistically we had on average 15 -20 people for a Twig but on Family Nights we could hit the 50 mark with no problems. Since we had grown so fast we did run several PFAL classes in a very short window of time. Our local Twig leaders were just WOWS many of whom were no older than the people coming to Twig so in many ways we got along pretty well and there really wasn't much of the "I'm in control " mentality until later.

Our downfall was when some visting Corps rolled through town and started correcting everyone on how they should be running a class and how we should be splitting Twigs once they reached a certain size. Of course we explained to them that we had rapid growth that no one foresaw and that we didnt' necessarily have the same number of people at each Twig. But this wouldn't do. They then started saying that if someone didn't come to Twig regularly then they aren't serious "blah blah" and so on. We ran 3 times as many PFAL classes as in ohter areas and there were no signs of things stopping until the Corps people started madating certain things and requiring certian procedures and so on. Within like 4 months these guys RUINED any and all growth in our area. People started hating coming to Twig and there was a huge morale problem. Of course the Corps people blamed it ALL on us - that we werent committed and all that jazz.

So eventually some of these Corps people rotated out of the area but their influence was still very much there especially with the WOWs. One girl who previously had been a great person turned into this really dark, twisted, intense character who saw devil spirits behind everything and sought to explain the most insignificant details and problems in terms of the devil and his minions.

If her mattress wasn't perfectly level she blamed "The Adversary" for trying to "rob her of a good night's sleep". And it went on and on. She routinely cast out demons from people , rooms, and even animals she thought to be at the root of say declining Twig attendance. Prior to that time I had never seen such a change in someone's behavior and it was scary to observe. I used to think that she was attractive but she walked around with this scowl on her face and it was rare to see a smile from her. I think she was perhaps acting like she thought a hardcore christian should act. But it was

n't very becoming and her personality sufferred greatly. Needless to say her Twig soon lost most of its members with the few remanining members being people in her Wow family and a couple of people who lived in the same apartment complex. Over time they quit coming.

I should have known something was wrong and I guess I did but I didn't bail out for a few more years mostly because I wasn't going to pursue the expected Way "progression" of taking all of the classes, going WOW, and then Corps. I went to college instead and went to Twig when I could. I had enough contacts in various Twigs that this didn't appear to be a big deal until the

early 80s or so when casual Twig attendance was seen as a sign of lack of committment. It sounded so deja vu to me that

I pulled the plug on my relationship with TWI. No one really ever conronted me about it - but I had heard that a Corps guy speak

and he was blabbing on about people being "dead wood" and if they didn't progress then they were worthless to the ministry and

stuff like that. I didn't need anyone to tell me that he was including people like me in his little speech. We had lots of people who had a life outside of TWI and wanted to keep it that way. But TWI leaders didn'tt want anyt part-timers unless you were like a celebrity or a physician, someone they could show case around - then you could came and go as you pleased and no one said anything. What hypocrisy. Any way I told a few people that I was bailing and that was it. I never went back. I still kept in contact with a few friends

and we spoke about things and they would even invite me to some events but I declined.

Edited by diazbro

Wow, diazbro, does that EVER sound familiar...

Devil spirits were everywhere and everything, more prominent than God and more powerful than the holy spirit to hear some speak. For example, I was in my intermediate class when I was attempting to interpret tongues. I had a rough going at first. So a Corps person tried casting the devil spirits out of the room.

Then I screwed up more being so nervous. I guess reinforcements must have arrived to help screw me up.

A friend of mine had the flu. He asked for prayer. He got an exorcism instead.

Stuff like that.

I questioned why the holy spirit in born-again believers could be overcome by devil spirits so that they could possess them. The holy spirit was silenced by devil spirits.

I was "misinformed", needed "correction", not "educated" enough in PFAL, and influenced, if not "possessed" by devil spirits myself to even suggest that.

I spoke to a person that left the ministry. That person was possessed and I was led by devil spirits.

Anybody else have similar experiences? Part of the Micro-management style of TWI was to rule by fear, and fear of "devil spirits". IMHO.

Eagle