GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

I hear that. :) Now -- I need to get out of here (the house), and get the Sultan's of Swing CD.

I'll find it at either Walmart, or the Electic Fetus. ;)

I should think it would be an easy find but if you have any problem I'll be glad to burn the CD and send it or put a link for each song in a PM for you and you can take what you want when you want to.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rick --

Yes, I do. I started playing flute when I was 10 years old, played in band. Then I took lessons, performed solo several times, played in the school jazz band, and the symphony - first chair. I love it, but was trained in classical music. I really love rock music better, and I'm no Jethro Tull... So, my current love is bass guitar - it appeals to the WildWoman within :wink2: (I usually drag out the flute around the holidays, etc. - we love playing Christmas music together - hubby usually plays his 12-string or classical guitar.)

I also play piano - we have a house full of instruments, amps, and microphones. We're only missing a drum kit, so we're hoping that one of the boys takes up the drums - I think it will be the baby, because Kristopher is already a good singer/frontman! (And the baby is always whacking on something!

Edited by ChasUFarley

In the video, a young man is playing the guitars... this is what he says about himself:

zack kim

Industry: Student

About Me

Hi my name is Zack and I'm a 22 year old Korean currently studying and performing with my band "Cosmic Funk Express" here in Malaysia. I have been playing the guitar for 13 years now and have been working on Touch style (Two Handed Tapping) for the past year. I am currently improving on this technique in hopes of helping me create musical ideas I have not explored. My dream is to do music full time and hopefuly perform around the world someday. Thank you for reading - Zack Kim yong woon :)

I love playing the Red Strat, Mexican or no. I wish I could hook it up to a huge amplifier with a thousand watts, place the amp, me and the Red Strat on Top of Mount Juneau, or Mt. Roberts here in Juneau, and blaze away! I know some cool blues licks. I fake a few people out, somewhat...Would be cool, no? But really, I have always had this fantasy of being at the top of some big hill, and either blowing my harmonicas, or playing some really cool blues sounds on a LOUD electric guitar...

Mount Juneau/Roberts are actually too tall: http://www.kswmyy.com/juneau.htm

But there is a restaurant at the top of the Mt Roberts Tramway...

And, I just wanted the guitar thread to come back to the top. The important things in life ya know...

Okay, what are you guys playing? (ie songs) Learning any new ones? What's some of your favorite licks or riffs of all times?

I've been working on Sunshine of Your Love (Cream) - great bass riff - so much fun to play. Also learned Fire On The Mountian (Marshall Tucker Band) - pretty easy, but fun jamming with hubby. I like playing old rock and roll - maybe I'll branch out into some heavier stuff as time goes on...

OK, so I go to the local music store today to get a new set of strings. I promised myself that was ALL I was going to get.

Well, I get there and since I'm working out some tunes that requires a GOOD wah pedal, I started looking around. Played with a couple cheap ones. Told myself, Hey Rick, a cheap one is good enough for now. Did I listen to myself? Of course not! So I decided to buy THIS one.

OK, so I spent a hundred bucks. And I STILL need a set of strings.

Well, on my way up to the counter to pay for it and get my strings, I made the mistake of walking through the amplifiers, telling myself, Now Rick, you're just LOOKING, not buying! And I was OK...I really was good. Till I saw THIS.

Well, I decided to ask if I could hook up with a guitar off the shelf and check out the sound. Telling myself, now Rick, your just gonna play a little and check it out, then buy your pedal and your strings and leave.

I played exactly 4 notes before I knew it was over. There was no way I was going to leave the store without it.

I am very dangerous in a music store with money in my bank account! :biglaugh:

The worst part of the whole story is, I got home and as soon as I got there, I remembered I didn't get the damn strings!

Rick

Bluzeman --

Congrats on the latest editions to your family!

That's a sweet little combo amp - it should work great for your sound with the tubes and all - warm, analog sound. Hubby has something like it by Fender Custom Shop - it's a Prosonic 2 x 10 (in surf green - I thought amps only came in black until then...). I love the retro tweed cab of your amp - we have a tough time keeping the cats away from stuff like that, I'm afraid. They also like the grill cloths - so we keep everything covered - little demons!

When you get ready to re-tube the thing, or want to get a better sound, check out this guy:

http://www.eurotubes.com/index.htm

We've emailed him for advice, etc. and he's a great resource - he really knows his stuff!

Man, I can't even describe the tone I'm getting from this!!!

I still have the Yamaha T-150...The Soldano design. I have Mike's email address, and am going to find out how much he will charge to mod it for me. Probably WAY more than I can afford! :(

Oh, and to answer your question ChasUFarley, I'm working on Tin Pan Alley. SRV's version. (OK, I have High Hopes, All Right??????? :) )

The worst part of the whole story is, I got home and as soon as I got there, I remembered I didn't get the damn strings!

Rick

That sounds like me at the electronics and/or golf equipment store... or my wife at any shoe/clothing store!

ummm... Rick... were you able to beat (or match) those prices?

Tom: The prices that MF charges, my buddy here locally will match. Have to pay sales tax so a "little" more than MF, but I have the joy of "trying" before I buy. I will buy some things from MF, but I can't imagine buying a guitar that I haven't held in my hands, and played before I decide to buy. You can take any 2 guitars, made on the same day, serial numbers matching beside each other...and they will not sound the same. Not to say one is "inferior" to the other, just that they will not sound the same. I want to hold it in my hands, and feel it up, and generally, get to know "her" before I buy her. I think most of you here are musicians, and can relate.

Although, some would probably not referr to the Ax as a "Her", maybe a "Him". And that's OK too! :)

Rick

Speaking of a wah wah pedal, I wonder if you folks can help me. My son, a budding guitarista, with a penchant for thrash metal, would no doubt be happy with a new "gizmo" to use with his new (well used but new to him) Ibanez electric guitar. Are "phase shifters" still cool? Or wah wah pedals? Socks, and all the rest of youz, what would you suggest I get for the lad?

Rick,

I told hubby about your new toys and he asked if we should start setting an extra place for dinner. :)

But that Fender® Blues Amp is even pretty to look at man.

And you playing Tin Pan Alley well all I can say and hopefully not embarrass you too much is how kewl for me that we're friends and I get to hear your efforts.

I can't imagine buying a guitar that I haven't held in my hands, and played before I decide to buy. You can take any 2 guitars, made on the same day, serial numbers matching beside each other...and they will not sound the same. Not to say one is "inferior" to the other, just that they will not sound the same. I want to hold it in my hands, and feel it up, and generally, get to know "her" before I buy her. I think most of you here are musicians, and can relate.

Man can I ever relate to THAT! If it doesn't sound good, or play easily --- I don't want it. I think that is especially true with acoustic instruments. And --- the only way to know how they sound or how they play, is to try 'em out first! B)