GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Easy with that wrench, Mr. Lingo! Owtch!!!

P.A.'s and amp - biggest difference is the kind of preamps they have - the preamp in a guitar amp is built to a guitar's range of sound and a P.A.'s preamps will be (or should be) built to reproduce a wider range of sound, like voices, guitars, etc. etc.

They'e very similar but can be very different based on the design. Ussssssually a guitar amp has one preamp stage, even if it has two or more inputs. That prevents it from taking two signals, like say two guitars, very well. A P.A. will have a preamp for each channel so that it can handle that one input, be it a mic, guitar or whatever.

So ussssssssually, the sound from a P.A. will be cleaner and truer, and more of an accurate reproduction of what the original input sounds like, with some tonal adjustments possible too usssssually, like bass, treble, midrange breakdowns or snazzier equalization available.

Some of that has to do with the amp stage, the part that makes it louder. A P.A. should have a good amount of "headroom" in it's capacity, so you don't have to push it to it's limit. Doing that produces things like overdrive, distortion.

In a guitar amp, that's a desirable thing for some kinds of sounds, so a lot of guitar amps are modelled and set up so that when you crank that puppy it gets a little mud in it, which even in small doses can do nice things to a guitar's sound making it sound fuller, "beefier". A P.A., if operated within it's limits, is designed to prevent that.

Wattage in a P.A. might be 200 w or more, lots more. An amp does great sound at 20 - 30 watts, less is more. An amp can always be mic'd and put through a - P.A. to make it louder, and ideally without effecting the sound of the original amp sound.

I guess I should have suggested try a couple different kinds of amplifiers - some are made for acoustic guitars and have tone adjustments better suited for that. Whatever you play through you want to limit the amount of tone tweedling you do so you can hear how the guitar sounds as it really is, but louder. (although volume itself changes the tone, so I dunno...it's a merry-go-round)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy belated birthday to Doc Watson!

Arthel Lane "Doc" Watson born in Stoney Fork Township, near Deep Gap, North Carolina, on March 3, 1923.

(I added this for you Jonny, even though we (or rather -- I) missed it for the past 20 some days --

knowing that you're a big fan of his. He's always great with the Blues!) :)

HERE'S DOC, IN HIS YOUNGER YEARS.

Hey, dmiller. Hubby and I saw Doc Watson last year live at the River of Music Festival also known as ROMP. He was great and never missed a lick. His son came on stage and played with him.

My nephew is in charge booking the bands for the festival each year. The Owensboro Bluegrass Museum has a website if you want to see who is coming this year. It will be at a state park in O'boro.

Yo, Socks – speaking of amps in your post # 2376– I ordered one of these bad boys [see below] from Musician's Friend. I've never owned an effects box – this one sure looked interesting – especially their claim of imitating some vintage and hi-end amps and cabinets. And Tonto will really appreciate this - it has a headphone output. I may be in for a let down – but I figure I'm about due for a new toy.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ton...Bass?sku=152170

ToneWorks AX3000B Modeling Signal Processor for Bass

Using Korg's exclusive Resonant Electronic Modeling System (REMS), the AX3000B Modeling Signal Processor provides a familiar knob-based interface with easy access to all functions, a backlit LCD, an expression pedal, and breakthrough Expression Step Sequencer (ESS).

72 different bass effects give you unprecedented tonal breadth. 16 types of drive/amp effects model tons of sought-after vintage and hi-end amps and effects including a wide range of pre-effects, cabinets, modulation, delay, and reverb (11 types of each).

Effects can be activated 7 at a time and include compressor, limiter, wah, flanger, chorus, and 2-octave pitch shifter, as well as fretless and bass synth effects, plus a lot more. Create and store 96 programs with your favorite combination of REMS effects. 32 preset programs are also provided.

Use the expression pedal to control wah, volume, or many other effect parameters, or assign a wide range of functions to the Control Switch for even greater flexibility.

- - -

Picking up on their 7 effects all at once feature - I'm thinking about pitching a T-Shirt with I operate all seven all the time on front and back – to Korg. May get some flak from staunch PFAL grads – "man, that's so Old Testament."

…working on a design for the ultimate bass effect: The Electronic Gear Operation Booster – or EGO Booster for short. It will have three settings: 1. OKCT Mode – which stands for Off Key Corrective Technology. In this setting it doesn't matter what note you play the EGO Booster's on-board microphone picks up all ambient musical sounds and re-tunes any incoming bass notes that are off key. Uses a Micrognome Timing System [a teeny tiny musical conductor inside] to ensure the bass passage is in time with the rest of the band. This mode works best when playing with other musicians who really know how to play their instruments. 2. Jack Bruce Mode – very useful setting when playing with a small band, it fills in the gaps, and dazzles the audience – they'll think you're playing lead guitar, and can be used to call in whales, or serve as an emergency back-up if your ship's fog horn craps out. 3. Chuck Norris Mode – the setting of choice any time there's a battle of the bands. You're guaranteed to win! Warning: may result in physical injury to your own band members as well as the audience.

Edited by T-Bone

T-Bone

Let me know when you get that E.G.O. Booster up and running. I would like to be your first customer, though I suspect there is already a long line forming.

I think it's good to buy a new gadget(or 2 or 3) every now and then to keep the creative juices flowing. Nothing will ever replace good old fashioned time in the woodshed but why not have some fun and throw a new spice in the mix from time to time? Music or no music, it means doing something for YOURSELF and that's important!

"All 7 all the time."------HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kathy------What's Youtube? (-- :( --)

I'm just funnin' with ya Kathy!

I can't do much except text stuff with this box I have here. Wish I could ,though, so I could do Pictionary and check out some of the stuff you guys post links to.

OJ-----It's not just for breakfast anymore.(I think I hear a moving van warming up in the distance :) )

Edited by waysider

I want it to be all over with. Moved there and all set up again. I hope I never move again after this. I don't like moving.

You coming down to visit us sometime dude?

Well you tell that grandson of yours to get you a new fancy computer. :B)

And I should have known you was messing with me. :doh:

There ya go, T-Bone! Let us know how it does when you get it. I got the guitar version for my daughter when she was at Musicians/Guitar Institute, and she loved it. It's here at the house now, and I have to say it's "all that" and more.

Been listening to a lot of Level 42 the last few days, speaking of bass. Mark King was the bass player and King is god on the song "Something About You". What do you think of that tune? The bass is so...so, on the bottom and in the pocket. Chas must have a thought on that tune. The earth moves in that bass line of his, IMO. Great song. :biglaugh:

Boon Gould, guitar in Level 42. He does a very tasty solo in that song too. I bought it the year of, want to say, 86, the last ROA we went to. Drove up in an RV, the family on wheels. Had that playing the whole time it seemed.

Aaaah.

Chuck Norris can't use stomp boxes, read it in a Guitar Player interview. When Norris uses a stomp box, kangaroos in Australia fall over and the Tower of Pisa moves a degree.

Thanks for the video on John Mc..

The only was to get those nice fast smooth runs is to play in front of a metronome for hours. He must be in love with one.

As for the signal proc..

I have a Line 6 amp. They have some nice effects too. One thing I like about them is they make me sound better than I am.

Thanks for the John McLaughlin clip, Satori – I love his music, especially the acoustic stuff.

Socks, I've got Level 32's Level Best and had to play Something About You this morning after you mentioned it – yeah great bass work by King on that.

I got the Korg processor yesterday afternoon – I was impressed even before I opened it. The shipping box was HUGE! I thought they mistakenly sent me a bass guitar case. Anyway…It's very easy to operate – and I like the built-in tuner [i've got a wooden ear yah know].

I messed around with the Flanger, Wah, Fuzz, etc. a little – but had the most fun playing with the variety of reverb, echo and delays! And like you were saying Waysider about the creative juices flowing – I kept playing a couple of my favorite riffs with the different reverb and delays – wow! This thing has a ton of features but like I said – very easy to use…This new toy ought to keep me busy for awhile.

[now with the echo set to only 1%] I I just just want want to to say say – - this this stomp stomp box box is is great great!!

Edited by T-Bone

T-Bone

Sounds like lots o' fun is in store with the new toy------errrr----I mean motivational tool.

I saw your mention of John M. and wanted to put in a plug for his CD "Time Remembered" which is an acoustic tribute to the late Bill Evans. If you are a John M. fan, you will probably embrace this album. If,on the other hand, you are a Bill Evans fan, you may be disappointed. I only say this because a lot of the moodiness and melancholy associated with Bills' style is hard to capture on anything other than a piano. My father in law(the worlds' biggest Bill Evans fan) was somewhat disappointed in it. I,on the other hand, being a John M. fan, really enjoyed his take on this tribute effort. If you are not familiar with Bill Evans' style, I would recommend listening to some of his work, especially his left hand, and then listening to John Mc. pay homage to him. You might even check out Bills' album by the same title.

This one is high on my list of CDs I check out of the public library several times a year.

Guess I should just burn it or buy it,huh?

blarney,

I don't believe we have spoken before, it's nice to meet you.

And what a beautiful video. His talent and joy of playing was delightful to hear and watch.

I have a new respect for the instrument and also am curious about it because it works for people with smaller hands, hmmm.

The song alone is one of the best ever done even if only one person had ever performed it but wow again on that instrument.

Very cool!

Thank you.

Kathy

blarney,

I don't believe we have spoken before, it's nice to meet you.

And what a beautiful video. His talent and joy of playing was delightful to hear and watch.

I have a new respect for the instrument and also am curious about it because it works for people with smaller hands, hmmm.

The song alone is one of the best ever done even if only one person had ever performed it but wow again on that instrument.

Very cool!

Thank you.

Kathy

Kathy,

I used to post at Waydale, but found other things to do in the interim (got a degree).

Nice meeting you. I really don't have the time to follow many threads here, so I just saw your video and thought I'd send this your way. It's pretty inspiring.

I hear he has a record. I'm not sure of the site, though.

I agree. It's among the best.

Cheers,

Blarney

blarney, welcome!!! That tune is great, and his rendition is very cool. I ran across it and posted it here awhile back, and I'm really glad to see it again. It's really captures the sweetness of the song. Thanks! You're in good company, friend! Look foward to whatever you share, when you can.

That pedal sounds like fun. That model really does have it all, for a digital modeler and effects unit. Hard to not get into experimenting with possibilities. It's got the Reverse effect too, so with 7 effects to stack - yow!

Glad you enjoyed that tune, T-Bone! Some good music came out of the 80's.

McLaughlin's a great guitarist to be sure. I particularly enjoy his passion and concentration. The only albums I ever listened to a lot were the Mahavishnu Orchestra and the "Johnny McLaughlin, Electric Guitarist" stuff. Great stuff.

Welcome to GSC, Blarney – really cool rendition – thanks for the Ukulele Gently Weeps. I am always fascinated how a familiar tune sounds from different instrumentation/interpretation.

Socks and Satori – I have a number of McLaughlin CDs – with Socks mentioning his Mahavishnu Orchestra, I would have to say the Inner Mounting Flame album has got to be one of my top ten favorites of JM. This one band I was in was a lot of fun – we’d all come up with renditions of tunes from our favorite groups – it made for a very eclectic repertoire that always managed to astound and confuse the audience :blink: …Anyway – I came up with a trilogy of JM’s tunes: Marbles, Dance of the Maya, Birds of Fire – I arranged them where we would play it straight for a few passages [just like the record] and then jazz it up by changing the time and do variations of a theme…Now I gotta be honest with you all – on my being musically inept and having a wooden ear – I always made up for in resourcefulness and creativity. I’d always ask the two guitarists in our band to take home my albums of choice and by next band practice show me the chords and modulations of specified tunes. These guys could figure out anything! Then I’d take it from there with what I could “hear” in my head - - hey – I’m a great bass player...in :biglaugh: my head, anyway .

Oh yeah – on that Reverse echo thing on the Korg Processor – I messed around with that a bunch last night! And this thing is so easy to set up and convenient – I didn’t even use my amp last night – just plugged my headphones into the Korg Processor…A real mind blower!!! I was playing the bass line to Strawberry Fields Forever and what I heard in my headphones was “I buried Paul’s Hofner.” <_<

Oh yeah – on that Reverse echo thing on the Korg Processor – I messed around with that a bunch last night! And this thing is so easy to set up and convenient – I didn’t even use my amp last night – just plugged my headphones into the Korg Processor…A real mind blower!!! I was playing the bass line to Strawberry Fields Forever and what I heard in my headphones was “I buried Paul’s Hofner.” <_<

I caught a few minutes of Sleepless In Seattle the other day and the kids were listening to that song where it was suppose to say Paul is dead in reverse and the son asked Tom Hanks how did he know about it. It was an adorable clip in the movie.

Funny T-Bone!