GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Former Susan Tedesche guitarist, Sean Costello, (not to be confused with Sean Carney) has passed away just one day short of his 29th birthday.

Here he is, pouring his heart into an old Otis Rush tune, It's My Own Fault.

R.I.P. Sean

Edited by waysider

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Susan Tedesche guitarist, Sean Costello, (not to be confused with Sean Carney) has passed away just one day short of his 29th birthday.

Here he is, pouring his heart into an old Otis Rush tune, It's My Own Fault.

R.I.P. Sean

Who would ever think that 14 1/2 years old was middle age. :(

Anyone interested in a Fender Bassman?

This will be going to Ebay soon.

http://www.harpgear.com/bassman.html

This is one of Jason Ricci's personal amps.

For those who don't know, Jason is one of the hottest young harp players on the planet right now.

(Don't know what amp he is using on this clip.)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Got one - and highly recommend it! Hubby uses it for acoustic gigs (he just got a pickup dropped in his Gibson 6-string). It's got great tone for solid state - it's almost warm. (The one you linked to is a tube amp, tho.)

Edited by ChasUFarley

Question for you guitar players.I am looking for an acoustic that is easy on the fingers for picking.For now I do most of my picking on a classical cause I like the feel and my fingers don't fall off.Anyone have any ideas for me.Anyhow I came across this video of a guy who can play-

Edited by polar bear

• 3 weeks later...
**BUMP**

Have you all gotten over your case of GAS? (GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Please tell me we haven't exhausted this subject...

No. :) I've spent about 200 bucks recently to upgrade my banjo.

(Yea --- I know it's not a guitar -- but a serious case of BGAS (Banjo Gear Aquisition Syndrome).

I found the guy (on another site) who I originally bought the banjo from, back in Southern Indiana.

It was/ is a 1962 Bowtie Gibson RB - 250 Mastertone. I didn't like the neck, or the inlays on it.

So I got a different one from Gibson. Yup -- you can do that with banjos! :)

Dennis (the guy I bought the banjo from) told me;

he bought the banjo from Bobby Helms, of the Helm's Family band.

The Helms Family Band, is the one you hear in all the Hallmark commercials at Christmas time.

Bobby bought this banjo, and learned exactly ONE tune on it.

He learned Cripple Creek on it it just to please his dad.

I've picked this thing for 33 years, and just recently found a banjo web site with 26,000 plus members.

Yea --- scary, I know! But a lot of Pro's are members there, and there's TONS of good advice.

Plus advice about what (banjo) products are good, and which aren't.

Some things suggested for purchace, I chose not to.

Others *rang true* for me, so I forked over the cash.

I switched out the neck 30 some years ago, but these days ---- >>>

recently got a new capo, tail-piece, and my own brand/ guage of strings for the thing.

Oh yea -- new tone ring and better finger picks too. It's starting to sound REALLY righteous!!

This thing has ALWAYS had a monstrous sound to it --- but given the suggestions from others,

I've managed to increase both the tone and volume of it. :)

I take two tylenol (nowdays) before I pick. It's that explosive. :biglaugh:

It's a never ending journey, eh?? ;)

There is ALWAYS something new to try.

Edited by dmiller

dmiller, You have got it bad man.

You were darn good last time I heard you play and that was about 28 years ago or so.

It's my wife who takes the Tylenol before I pick.

On a more serious note....do you have any trouble with your hands from all the playing?

It may be partly due to my work but if I play very much my hands are shot.

dmiller, You have got it bad man.

You were darn good last time I heard you play and that was about 28 years ago or so.

It's my wife who takes the Tylenol before I pick.

On a more serious note....do you have any trouble with your hands from all the playing?

It may be partly due to my work but if I play very much my hands are shot.

Hey there Joe. :) Yea -- as older age sets in, and I pick less quick (or proficiently) than before.

My left arm doesn't work like it used to, so I play less fiddle these days.

Extending the arm out to hold it, is a chore and hurts if I play too long. ---

As in I used to play for square dances --- 15 or more minutes per tune.

Banjo and mandolin (on the other hand) being (usually) played in my lap while seated,

is easier since the arm isn't extended like it is for the fiddle.

Sometimes my fingers lock up on me too, but (conversely), the more I pick

(guitar, mandolin, or banjo), the more they loosen up for me and it's easier to pick.

Maybe if you just pick a little at a time, and space it out you'ld be OK with it??

Dunno -- just a thot, and speculating here.

Here's something you MIGHT be interested in (I haven't checked it out myself;

and just heard about it tonight ---), but it sounds interesting.

I'm just passing along the post that contains the info --- OK?

No endorsements or nuthin!! ;)

Originally posted by pickalot

I have recently discovered a special juice (that we have nicknamed.... "joint juice") which has proven to be the perfect food, not only for good, overall health, but also great for the joints and fingers....... always a major issue for musicians, especially banjo players....i.e. Tom Adams, Steve Dilling & others with Focal Dystonia...... plus the standard problems of arthritis, carpal tunnel, trigger finger, shoulder/back pain. Wouldn't it be great if the prevention of all the problems that may one day face banjo players and other musicians...was simply a lack of the right nutrition? Cheeseburgers & fries ain't the answer.

If you are interested in reading more please drop me an email to dbanjoman@aol.com with "JOINT JUICE" on the subject line, and I will give you the details and plenty of 3rd party validation. This is being used and recommended by Doctors, Chiropractors, Herbalists, Naturopaths and Massage Therapists. Over 1 Billion dollars in sales in 3 years. (It took MicroSoft 7 years to do a billion!)

Check it out........your fingers and hands might just love you for it.

Like I said -- I first heard of this tonight but I do know that Tom and Steve have Focal Dystonia,

and Tom has had to quit picking banjo (recently) as a result of the disease. As you probably know, Tom was the original/ only banjo player for

, and Steve is with
. Edited by dmiller

And --- I should add this. I'm on a mission. Yea -- I have BGAS bad!!

The 20-hole tone ring I used to have in the Gibson was fine. Original equipment.

Strong, powerful, loud, good tone, you name it. It had it.

I won a Kulesh Vintage 20-hole tone ring in a contest on a different banjo site.

A $375.00 piece of metal that fit my banjo like a hand in a glove! (Sorry for the analogy there!)

My "62 RB - 250 sat up and TALKED!! D@MM -- did it ever sound fine!

Only problem is --- I know that there are better rings out there.

The strings I finally settled on are cryogenically treated

(Yea -- I thought it was a gimmick at first too),

but these guys sound better, stay in tune better, and are cheaper than any other brand.

The company that produces the Cryo strings, also makes a Dannick tone ring, for the banjo.

They're out of New England (Mass - I think). They just came out with a no - hole Dannick,

that is taking the banjo community by storm. I want one.

If their strings are that good, (and yes they are --- I'm here to tell you)

and do everything and more that is promised ---

I'm betting their ring will be equally good, and taking one's banjo to the *next level*.

Everything I have heard (from the pros), suggest that that ring, plus the old wood I have

(for the rim, neck, etc., on the banjo I have), would be a perfect match for tone and volume.

Here's a pic of the Dannick 20 - hole. I'll be ordering the no - hole.

dannicktr.jpg

900 bucks for that baby there. The no hole will be comparable in price.

I paid (about) 500 bucks for my banjo in 1971. It's worth a lot more now. :)

The banjo is an instrument, but it's also a *machine*.

Better working, machined parts make it MUCH more efficient.

Yup --- I've got a SERIOUS case of BGAS. :spy:

Edited by dmiller

Man am I way down on the banjo food chain. And I thought I had arrived when I got a bonifide certificate with my Tennessee twenty tone ring. Having said that though my banjo is still much better than the guy playing it.

Concerning the juice.. I have tried concentrated cherry juice which is supposed to be a very good anti-inflammitory. I did not get the results I was looking for but maybe I did not give it long enough to work. I am currently taking Omega 3 supplements and that seems to have helped. Now that I am retired I will try to hook up with some of the weekly jam sessions in this area so we will see how the hands hold up.

Very few people would be so discrete as to perceive the subtle nuances in tone rings. You be one of them. Awesome.

• 2 months later...

I just had an eargasm...

Man...

Check this cat out: http://www.pandora.com/music/artist/andy+timmons+band

The Tone Gods blessed this guy tremendously...

This isn't great but it will give you an idea...

The recordings are better - if you're into Pandora, program his name into your fav guitar station and rock on...

Edited by ChasUFarley

I met a fella named G -- (last name not mentioned), on a banjo site.

Turns out he used to work in the Gibson Custom Shop for 7 or so years, until 1993

Designing guitars/ banjos/ mandolins. Gibson threw many designs in the trash. He rescued them from oblivion.

He also does engraving work. He did a lot of work for the Hell's Angels, and posted these picks himself.

Thought I might try to get this thread back to guitars/ other instruments/ etc., instead of you tube postings!

He totally re-did the Hell's Angel's guitars (which were plain), but now look like you see them here.

G. working on Sonny's guitar:

hellangles006il0.jpg

Close --- but not there yet:

hellangles004fr8.jpg

Happy camper (front view of the guitar):

haguitarsonny005zl6.jpg

Backside view of the guitar:

sonnyguitar008cj6.jpg

I'm guessing with Sonny Barger looking over your shoulder ----- You just DON'T want to make a mistake!! :biglaugh:

(P.S. ---- More photos coming of custom Gibson stuff!!) But only if you all are interested. ;)

Other *Happy Campers* -----

greghagroupphoto004gt7-1.jpg

Edited by dmiller

Here's the back of a Banjo resonator, that came out of the Custom Shop.

spiderback1dm2.jpg

A close up of the same ----- >>>

spiderbanjobackcloseupca7.jpg

From G ---

The spider banjo was built for the Tsumura collection

The resonator has an ebony veneer overlay , the spider has emeralds set for it's eyes and the web was done it silver dust.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool designs there, DMiller - thanks for posting all that stuff.

Man oh man, I haven't posted on this thread in a loooong time...scanned it a few times...been kinda busy with other stuff.

Thought I'd share a little of what's going on from my neck of the guitar. :)

My Kramer Fretless Bass is in the shop right now - getting outfitted with a new bridge that has a piezo pickup in each of the 4 saddles. It should provide a more acoustic tone. I'm soooo excited! They'll install a mixing pot - so I can fade to either the regular existing pickup or bridge piezo pickups or anyway between the two.

In doing research for this upgrade - I got into looking at other basses - and heaven help me! Now I'm thinking about getting a six string bass with a neck-through design. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not thinking of getting rid of my Kramer - I love the feel and sound of it. But what I'm wanting is to have two different sounding instruments.

My 4 string Kramer is a Fretless bolt-on aluminum neck and I use nylon taped strings. Love that warm whiny tone! Great for jazz & acoustic stuff. Now I'd like to add to my palette a six string bass [tuning is BEADGC] to extend my range both at the bottom and top, fretted, have a neck-through design for added resonance and sustain and use round-wound strings for a sharp & bright oinker of a sound. Perfect for rock and jazz-fusion stuff.

Changing the subject just a little....I'm so looking forward to the jam session we'll have at the GSC Texas BBQ in November! And I've noticed a curious thing. Since my bass has been in the shop - I've been dying to practice scales and build up finger strength for the event and have resorted to using an acoustic guitar and a finger exerciser I bought at the guitar shop - looks like 4 valves on a trumpet [which I think only has 3, but anyway - I can work my weaker fingers with it].

Ok - lately there's been that increase desire to practice - and also I'm coming up with some new riffs and tunes - a lot of times I "hear" them in my head on the way to work...What all this has me thinking is that this boost to my muse has come from anticipation of performance. I dunno...I guess just sitting around plunking all by myself [maybe I should see a therapist on that :biglaugh: ] can get pretty boring...maybe I need to join a band or something.

Edited by T-Bone

Yeah Dave - that bass does sound good! A funny thing - we were watching some home movies the other night and think it was around 2001, I've got a clip of my son playing one of those. He borrowed it from a friend. I was fascinated by the rubber strings and how lightweight it felt.

Yeah Dave - that bass does sound good! A funny thing - we were watching some home movies the other night and think it was around 2001, I've got a clip of my son playing one of those. He borrowed it from a friend. I was fascinated by the rubber strings and how lightweight it felt.

Yup!! Short stow-ry (as some here would say) ;) -------------------- >>>>

I used to go to a weekly jam session (Old time fiddle and Bluegrass) at a pub about 4 blocks from my house.

The bass player (playing an upright), was having MAJOR problems with his bridge, and wanted to call it a night.

I told him to hang on, went home, got the *Gumbie Bass* (as I call it), and my crate amp, and came back.

He took one look at it and started laughing. :( He ridiculed it upside and down and sideways.

I plugged it in and handed it to him, and he went through a DRAMATIC change of opinion! :spy:

It sounded better than his, and when we were done for the night, his only complaint was:

He wasn't used to NOT having to stretch his fingers to get the notes like he was used to doing. :D

• 1 month later...

I have always wanted to try one of those - I bet you don't get half the usual calluses from the strings that you get with the metal wound strings. It must have good tone if your friend who pays upright liked it - my bass weighs a ton but I love the tone that thing gets.=====On another guitar-related subject...I've been posting and sampling some neat music and videos lately. One thing that always interests me is when an artist can take a guitar and make it sound like something else.... In this clip, Chet Atkins makes his guitar sound like a bazouki.

...and in this clip, the guitar sounds like a harpsichord.... then upright bass....

...and in this clip, he gets vibratone sound (belltones) from the guitar...

Is it me, or could Atkins always make it sound like five other instruments were playing with him when he just had one guitar!I've heard other artists do this but it's easy to find Chet Atkins clips where he's done it... And oh, what the he!!.... here's a theremin jam... I came across that sounds damn good... (there's two of them... ) and there's a guitar in the mix... it sounds like a bass... but this is just c.o.o.l.

Edited by ChasUFarley