GreaseSpot Cafe

United 93

Raf

This doesn't quite seem appropriate for politics or for the gallery/reading room, but I'm okay with being overruled on that.

I saw "Inside Man," this weekend, and before it started there was a trailer for a film called "United 93." It's about the fourth plane hijacked on Sept. 11. I, for one, will be among the first in line to see the film, although I must admit, it's the first time I ever cried at a trailer. Maybe it won't be as "good" as the two minute clip suggests, but I'm expecting something really, really powerful here.

What do you think? Is it too soon for a dramatic movie about Sept. 11? (Yes, I know there was a TV version already made. Sorry I missed it. But somehow, it's not the same as the big screen).

What do you think? Is it too soon for a dramatic movie about Sept. 11? (Yes, I know there was a TV version already made. Sorry I missed it. But somehow, it's not the same as the big screen).

Well --- it has been 4 1/2 years since it happened. I don't think the film makers could be called *dis-respectful* after that amount of time.

The film makers have gotten permission and approval from all of the family members of the people in the film.

41/2 years is not a long time for us in NY we live 911, every single day.

try to get id in this town or state try to move across our border... LIFE in and of itself has changed 180.

We are a border state we have a massive port and we have reports daily of threats and its condition. We have the helicopters flying over head looking and scouting the land . Do YOU? maybe you do, maybe you do not but I bet you are not nearly as aware as we are of the securtities changes since 911.

I know many have just forgotten.. oh god I can not NOT imagine ever forgetting 911. A mom who lost her son in the plane said she is afriad it may be to late that people are just forgetting what they did.

It was three planes bent on murder and the one that was crashed in PENN was supoose to hit Washington .

It was two planes hitting NY towers we are fully completly terroized , SHUT DOWN , as a state , Penn. is very very close by.

This all happened in a moment in time . the sirens went off all across the state and every city was in a major STATE of emergency ..thurway and highways shut down all govt buiilding evacuated.. schools going crazy with people pulling their kids out in fear and terror. I am shaking just talking about it.

I do not think many understand we really thought we were all going to die that day.

The film was pulled from the theators in NY city because of the scene of the planes hitting the towers.

The movie shows TV Clips of the towers going down and the attack on the city and such an outcry was made they pulled the movie.

I believe right fully so.

I know it must be difficult for those who where not here that day or that week or that 41/2 years since to understand what happened to.

We all think very differently now.

we are on constant guard and it effects many many many areas of our life every single day.

we are often still afraid .

I dunno.

Personally I have zero interest in seeing it. As with "Apollo 13" and other recent-event historical fare, I just don't know why I'd want to watch it. I know how it ends.

I don't watch movies at all, so I won't be seeing this one.

I was just commenting on Raf's question, nothing more.

I have zero interest in watching it also.

I'm two hours from NY and two hours from DC. One hour from a major National AF Base and five hours from Pittsburgh. I travel through all these cities often.

On 9/11, I felt safe nowhere. I felt smack in the middle of hell.

100 years from now would be too soon for me to see it on the big screen.

It's a reality too close to home. I'm sure others will feel differently and they are certainly entitled.

They personally contacted the family members of every single person on that plane and asked for permission and support to produce the film. Very honorable, imo.

I think people NEED to be reminded of 9-11. I think people get too complacent and too easily take things forgranted.

This isn't done without taste, compassion and consideration for the folks involved, their loved ones and those who will be watching it. From what I can tell based on the media reports....that is.

I support it. I won't go see it, but that's because I'm a cheapskate and will wait for the DVD. ;)

I agree they did the right thing with the family members.

but frankly they do not live here for the most part. they live in a world that has just thought about it as a day in time. they want to remeber what they lost in their family, they want to bring honor to those who are HEROS on that plane.

But that is not the whole story what people have problems with is the graphic scenes of the city and towers and the total mass confusion and thoughts of DOOM we felt.

folks involved????

hahahahha I think you have no clue what that is or means to us.

you know I wonder what type of media coverage the other states had.

did you have a corner of your tv with the rating of the threat of being attack for the day for over a year?

did you see many many many jobs lost forever, not just the towers.. not just the family the whole financial district failed. this is NEW YORK .

I have thought about this and this is what i think .

those who want to see this type of movie still wonder what is must have been like that day. for them on the plane for the city for the state for people all of it.

See I was here I lived it I still live it we all do.

We do NOT ever wonder . and God knows we never ever want to be anywhere near what it was and what it has brought our life now ever ever again.

it was not a news story to us . it is us.

Edited by pond

Maybe it is needed see I am sick with what the 911 is and was and will be for us .

maybe for others they need to know.

I cant imagine not knowing .

wish I could.

so go see it I bet it will not be a hit here and if it fails here it wont go to those midwest states the theaters wont buy it.

That's two huge presumptions:

For all we know, the movie could do quite well in New York. But maybe you're right about that.

Regardless, whether or not it does well in New York would have no bearing on decisions to show it elsewhere. Plenty of movies do well in New York and tank elsewhere, and vice versa.

I don't think I'll see it. That was probably the most terrifying day of my life, and I don't know if I want to relive the feelings I had that day. I don't fault the makers of the movie for making it or anyone for wanting to see it, but it's not for me.

I don't know how anyone alive on September 11, 2001, could ever forget that day. It was terrifying even here in Ohio, because we had no idea what would happen next. For all we knew, the attacks on NY and DC were were just the beginning and more attacks would spread across the country to other large cities.

Saw the A&E version back in January (?) and thought it was pretty good. Even though you know how it's going turn it out, you still want to see how it all happened. Can't say how accurate it was but it was pretty strong stuff.

All the scenes of the people on the plane talking to their families on the ground were pretty hard to watch.

I can't see paying to see this one in the theater.

• 2 weeks later...
New york and California theaters buy the most movies and the sales of the tickets really do determine how the smaller cities buy.

Ok, so now you've added California to the mix, but given no reasons Californians will flee from this movie as you believe New Yorkers will. So you still haven't made a compelling case about this.

1. Will NYC residents see it? Maybe. Maybe not. The focus of the movie is not what takes place in NY, although that plays a crucial role (obviously). This movie is not about how it felt to be on the streets of the city that day.

2. Will NYS residents see it? More likely than NYC. NYS residents feel connected in spirit to 9/11 without actually having been there. I expect the upstate crowd to turn out in big numbers.

3. Will California residents see it? That will depend more on the quality of the movie.

4. And here's the question you didn't ask? Will Florida see it. Will Washington DC see it. Will Philadelphia see it? Will Chicago see it? Will Toronto see it? Will Indianapolis see it? Will Minneapolis see it? Will Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, ...

The notion that it's up to NYC to determine the fate of this movie is untrue. It will depend more on two things: marketing (which thus far has done a pretty good job) and the quality of the movie itself.

If you won't see it, that's fine. But speak for yourself. "I won't see it, my fellow New Yorkers won't see it, and therefore it won't do well" puts your assertions far beyond what you can possibly know to be true.

so go see it I bet it will not be a hit here and if it fails here it wont go to those midwest states the theaters wont buy it.

Well, if they're releasing it nationwide on the same day, that statement can't be true.

Edited by Raf

Too soon? The only thing I can compare it to is Pearl Harbor. When I first vacationed in Hawaii, it was one of the places we toured. Before they take you there, they show a documentary of the history of what happened. It had been YEARS since that happened, yet there were still people sobbing in the theater. Death is always a sensitive issue. I know that if people are still tender from the whole thing (especially those who had family die at the WTC), they don't have to see the movie. I think if I were among those, I probably couldn't watch something like that even 10 years after the fact. But the reality it would give to those who didn't see the tradgedy of it all, it could be a reminder. Middle East terrorism will be an enemy and threat for our country for the rest of our lives IMHO. We must not forget.

I live about 7 miles as the crow flies from ground zero. I was here. I watched it on TV while teaching a class in a Catholic High School for girls. We watched the second plane hit it's tower.It really didn't sink in until several minutes later. I've said this before but I need to say it again. You have little or no idea the effect that experience of Sept 11 had in this immediate area.

I knew Jeremy Glick. He was on the PA plane. I taught him biology.

I drove rt 17 every day to and from work and saw the plume of smoke. Twice a week I drove rt 208 and had an even better view of it. I don't remember how long the smoke was visible. My stomach churned on rt 208 because the view was so much better. One of my closest colleagues lived in Jersey City and she had the pleasure of the stench for practically ever in her nostrils.

I will see this film. And if it is historically correct (as possible) and well done, I'll buy the DVD. And I think every household in the US should own a copy of it and play it once in a while. I'm not afraid of the feelings it will remind me of - - I've dealt with them the best I can already - a film can't be any worse than what I've already lived through.

But I think that if we hide our heads in the sand and make blatant statements like we are...we play back into the hands of the terrorists. TWI had a statement about debbul spurts...."deal or be dealt with". Forget the debbul.....apply that phrase here and any other place where things get tough or where you become afraid.

I think the film should have the highest restrictive rating and maybe not be shown in theaters to anyone under 21.

I'm very proud that Jeremy Glick was one of my students!

I wonder if the initial backlash had less to do with the timing of the release(s) and more with the perception of "Hollywood types after a quick buck". Although I agree that it is too soon for any major Hollywood release, the A&E production did well, in part because it is well respected and was fully supported by the families. If the families are also supporting this movie, I can understand their wish to keep the story alive (though who could forget).

While it is supposedly true that proceeds from the United 93 release will be donated to families of victims (or other similiar organizations), that doesn't keep the thought of the Hollywood money machine from playing in people's heads.

I'd worry more about Oliver Stone's "twist" on that day. Although a brilliant film-maker, he has a track record of bringing his own "insights" into his projects. And IMO I don't think that will sit well.

I have several of the books and DVD's which were released. They sit on my shelf, because I can't bear to look at them. I doubt I'll pay money to go into a theater to relive it all. That day and that week was tough enough.

One thing I remember-just a little thing. I had flown out Monday to work in Baltimore that week, and was one of thousands whose flights were cancelled. That was, obviously, a terrible time to be away from home and especially to be anywhere on the east coast and that close to Washington D.C. I wound up driving to Atlanta and caught a flight home to Dallas on Saturday. When I retrieved my car and drove out to pay my ticket, the ticket agent only charged me for Monday. Just a little thing-but I cried the whole drive home.

Wow, Krys-just read your post. I don't know what to say.

You said it well enough.