GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Production Songs of the 90's

bliss

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick Maxson (the organ guy) appears to be a nice guy on the surface but has been a twi sellout as long as I've known him (1983)... trading genuine concern for people for pushing the corporate line. Kudos to his organ-playing... that's quite a skill... but to me he is a candy shell filled with twi crap.

That's a perfect description of him and his wife. They were long-time friends of my grandma, worked with her on staff for years. Later when she was dying of cancer, Nick kicked her out of their fellowship and hurt her deeply. I can only guess that it was because he was afraid she would die on his watch and he'd be in trouble. They acted sweet and deeply concerned at her funeral though. I truly hope he has trouble sleeping at night. But I doubt it.

It was the last or second-to-last one, in Dallas. 1996 maybe?

I'm sure I was there... was it in a convention type hotel?... So many meetings & classes. SO MUCH MONEY SPENT! <_<

I do remember this being a somewhat ROWDY bunch... and, also heard some 'coordinators' getting REPROVED (horribly embarrassing)... they needed to get on TOP OF THIS before it got out of hand.

Did this one have a Texas BBQ for the 'GRADUATION' meal? and the BIG TREAT FOR ALL OF US WAS TO RUB SHOULDERS WITH ol Loy in his big hat?... um... Howard Allen & Don Weirwille too... :biglaugh:

PICTURES ANYONE?!?!?!?

Edited by SafariVista

Did this one have a Texas BBQ for the 'GRADUATION' meal? and the BIG TREAT FOR ALL OF US WAS TO RUB SHOULDERS WITH ol Loy in his big hat?... um... Howard Allen & Don Weirwille too... :biglaugh:
Yeah, I think that was the one. I wasn't too impressed with the BBQ, and less impressed with the "meal package"...crappy food at high prices!

Yeah, we were required by our leadership (at least in my area) to buy the meal package... so we could be in one accord with the likeminded believers and all that crap. They tried to make it sound like a good deal but I remember it came out to be really expensive per meal. What a crock. I think there were a few restaurants in close walking distance that would have been much cheaper.

I hate Mike Martin's voice, at least when he did Way Productions for the Sunday Service.

When I was a teenager, I went to a coffee house for teens (back before they stopped doing things for teens) at the OSC building. It was fun. Mike Martin, then in Corp Training I think, played some acoustic guitar for us. Stuff he had written on his own. And it was great. Heartfelt and touching and beautiful. I remembered one of the songs for years.

...For anyone who hasn't seen way prod in awhile, doesn't www.thewayinternational.org have some of the performances streamed on their site?

Hey Highway -- Hate to make ya cringe but what if TWI started Podcasting their junk?

Nah, to get them to do that, they'd have to be guaranteed to collect money from it...

Never mind, bad idea, please forgive me........

Technobyte

Yeah, we were required by our leadership (at least in my area) to buy the meal package... so we could be in one accord with the likeminded believers and all that crap. They tried to make it sound like a good deal but I remember it came out to be really expensive per meal. What a crock. I think there were a few restaurants in close walking distance that would have been much cheaper.

Ah yes... what control was being pressed upon us...

After you all talk about it... more and more is coming back :blink:

I do recall going to 'The Spaghetti Factory' with a few people...

Don't remember how we even got to Texas... must have been by plane...the year before that, was the Advanced Class at Gunnison? We went to both... actually worked the Adv Class.

Dates are beginning to blend... or is it that 'blocking out' mechanism?

I think that Way productions is a good example of Wierwille's isolationist approach to the rest of the body of Christ. He virtually ignored anything outside of the little world that he controlled.

We were held hostage in wayworld and deprived of some wonderful Christian music that didn't have "wayprod" stamped on it.

Recently, a Christian musician friend of mine played a variety of old Christian gospel music for me that he was really into...

The Happy Goodmans featuring the great Vestal Goodman

The Blackwood brothers

Jake Hess

J.D. Sumner

George Younce

Great talent, great heart and great music...Apparently there are thousands of Christians who have been enjoying this music for years and years...I, on the other hand had never heard of any of them.

Another example of how the cult experience deprives a person of so many other things that the world has to offer.

In all fairness though, I did think that "America Awakes" had some good stuff on it.

...We were held hostage in wayworld and deprived of some wonderful Christian music that didn't have "wayprod" stamped on it.

Great talent, great heart and great music...Apparently there are thousands of Christians who have been enjoying this music for years and years...I, on the other hand had never heard of any of them.

Another example of how the cult experience deprives a person of so many other things that the world has to offer...

Ahhh, Groucho!

Nicely put... "we were held hostage", while life kept on going on all around us, while other Christians were ENJOYING music for years and years.... :cryhug_1_:

I've never heard any of those that you've listed here either... think I'll look into that~

O you poor people. WP was much better in the 70's and coolchief I believe it was David Bailey from Great Britain who wrote The Fireside Song for Agape(British folk rock group of mid 70's). Boy, Am I glad I left when I did(even thought The Chicken or the Egg was stupid). Today's CCM with Toby Mac, Newsboys, Rebecca St. James and Casting Crowns are the seccessors to Joyful Noise, Good Seed, Pressed Down, and Selah. No wonder Ted resigned/fired and left TWI.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Way productions never performed this song but we used to do it alot either in the smaller fellowships or the big meetings, I used to cringe everytime we sang it, especially if new people were there! The only part I can recall which was the worst part is....

"And if the devil doesn't like it, he can sit on a tack" (ouch) and we'd jump out of our chairs

Sit on a tack, sit on a tack

And if the devil doesn't like it he can sit on a tack

Sit on a tack forever"

And I'm so happy, so very happy,

I've got the love of Jesus in my heart.

I think they enjoyed making fools of us !!

Cowgirl

Cowgirl, that's typicaly a children's fellowship song. I used to love those songs and others as a kid, as did many others I'm sure. We'd sing them in regular fellowship meetings occasionally, if there were kids present. In some groups it was still fun even as an adult, but in others it felt stupid. I think a lot of it was the group dynamic.

In California, there is a particular jerk who tried (is still trying) to learn the banjo. They let him perform at branch meetings and once at a limb talent show. He was SO horribly bad that it was just funny at times, which made it torture because I had to keep from laughing. That would have been bad. Eventually he even tried to put together a BAND. This guy had NO musical talent, but was the lead singer in the group. He would basically take songs like "She'll be comin' 'round the mountain when she comes" and change the words to "We'll all be gathered together when he comes." And that was the best one. He'd take a poem in a Way Mag and put it to basically the same tune. He only knew one or two banjo tunes. He'd pull it out at normal fellowships too, and I just wouldn't sing. He's the only regular joe believer that I've ever passionately disliked. He also like to beat his believer wife and kids on occasion. A real piece of work.

Oh yeah, I remember that one! My buddy and I sometimes sing that at work just to be weird! Here's the lyrics...

YMCA CAMP LOOWIT CAMPFIRE SONGS

Campfire Song Index

Rise and Shine

This song was sung in the mornings at the breakfast table whenever the spirit moved somebody! Everyone always clapped their way through this song with a punctuated clap in the middle of the third line of every verse: CHORUS: Rise and shine and give God the glory glory

Rise and shine and give God the glory glory

Rise and shine and (clap!) give God the glory glory

Children of the Lord!

The Lord said to Noah there’s gonna be a floody floody

Lord said to Noah there’s gonna be a floody floody

Get those animals (clap!) our of the muddy muddy

Children of the Lord

CHORUS

So Noah, he built them, he built them a n arky arky

Noah, he built them, he built them an arky arky

Built it out of (clap!) wood and barky barky

Children of the Lord

CHORUS

The animals, they came by twos by twosie twosies

The animals, they came by twos by twosie twosies

Elephants and (clap!) kangaroozie roozies

Children of the Lord

CHORUS

It rained and poured for forty dazy dazies

Rained and poured for forty dazy dazies

Nearly drove those (clap!) animals crazy crazy

Children of the Lord

CHORUS

The sun came out and dried up the landy landy

Sun came out and dried up the landy landy

Everything was (clap!) fine and dandy dandy

Children of the Lord

CHORUS

I liked that song. But I noticed one difference when it was sang at Way funcitons. They sang it:

God told Noah instead of The Lord told Noah.

I guess that anothe querky wayism. I think it must have been about the trinity and the fear of referring to God as anything but God.

"And if the devil doesn't like it, he can sit on a tack" (ouch) and we'd jump out of our chairs

Sit on a tack, sit on a tack

And if the devil doesn't like it he can sit on a tack

Sit on a tack forever"

And I'm so happy, so very happy,

I've got the love of Jesus in my heart.

I think they enjoyed making fools of us !!

Cowgirl

Funny, I use to like this song because it got people moving and happy!

But, I got reproved once from my BC because I lead this and it wasn't "HQ standard song"! "If HQ doesn't do it, we won't".

I then replied, "well, HQ does Childrens Fellowship EVERY SUNDAY, and we don't, so maybe we should keep up". So, I ended up doing CF for many a sunday's after that! I was annoyed, but the kids were sure blessed.

What a sucker I was.........

Regarding the lyrics posted that were from the 90's - They're all in the command form. They're not about something, instead they're telling people what to do and what to think.

And you can see the "us vs them" mentality in the lyrics.

I can't imagine what the melodies must be like.

Yup , the COMMAND voice................

No praise and worship there.....................

I actually tried to go through these CD's to find just ONE that wasn't about US or that sang praise to HIM...........

I found a few good titles, so I listened, and to my disgust, they were "About God or Jesus", but not "TO GOD or (god forbid) JESUS!

One of the things I've learned since my Exodus is that we use to learn ABOUT GOD, but now we HAVE A RELATIONSHIP!

HUH go figure?

TITLES: (Are u ready for this?)

The Promised Land of the Prevailing Verd

God Has Called "US"

The Present Truth

I WILL PROSPER

We're Goin In

The Way of Peace

Prove the Sincerity of OUR LOVE

A Song In MY Heart (close, not)

Proof of the Truth

A Mighty God ( see ABOUT HIM)

Drop as the Rain

Be a Way Disciple

Keepin It Clean

We're in the Business of Prevailing (RLMAO)

Every Thought Captive

Give it ONE MORE (stop craig)

Let the World Go By

Resting on a Firm Foundation

Burn It

The Way We Have Chosen

Carry the Prevailing Word (barf)

We're the Ones Who Love the Lord (ewww)

God Makes a Way

Speak for the True God

Freely You've Recieved, Freely Give

We Will Advance

The Promised Land

Confrontation (my personal fav)

The Man For All Times (about him)

Strong enough to PREVAIL

The Household is Gonna Prevail (OMG)

The Word of the Lord PREVAILS

Make it Happen

Ok , had enough? I even skipped a few, and this in on ONE CD (2 disk set)!

Yowza!

Be thankful people, you who left before the 90's!