GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI VS Doug McMullan

Radar OReilly

For the record, TWI vs. Doug McMullan goes to a jury trial this coming Thursday, January 22 at 8:30 am at the Shelby County OH courthouse.

This is the TWI tresspassing charge against Doug from 2003.

Doug is a man who is doing what he believes is right...gotta admire someone that still has the guts to stand up for something he believes in.

Radar

CC,

Doug is a very soft spoken southern country kind of guy. He is honest and "soulful" if that communicates.

I am sure that he and the other witnesses will tell the truth from their perspective and the benefit of a jury trial is that real people get to make the decision.

ROR

I would like to add that Doug is not only doing what he believes is right and good, but doing so for the benefiet of others. I dare say he is what a true man of God ought to be/do.

"There is no use trying" said Alice, "one can't believe impossible things".

"I dare say, you haven?t had much practice" said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast".

And a jury trial is not mandatory. It is something Doug could have waived the right to. So, I agree with Radar that this is to Doug's advantage.

Frankly, this appears to be an effort to force twi's hand. Because otherwise, the most that probably would have happened is Doug agree to pay a fine and go home.

Go for it, Doug.

You can have another cold one, and another ride in my mustang, anytime, dude.

Oh, wait. I forgot. I drove the mustang into the ground years ago. It'll have to be the big boxy van, with the child seats in the middle captain's chairs. Do Clifford books and dropped Cheerios bother you?

Good luck, man.

"Live just, and fear not."

Vickles,

Re:"It doesn't seem right or fair, somehow."

It's the law. That's why Doug was busted. You can't go waltzing around on private property without being invited. Yeah, TWI has every right to do what they do.

What's telling is asking why they would do it. Folks check things out on the internet now-a-days so rest assured TWI's new potential converts are doing the same. They'll wonder big time why it is ANY religious organization prohibits people visiting a dang cemetary for Heavens sake!! Sheesh!!

sudo

I made the 'what?' comment cuz of the way this was written. I understand Doug accompanied her into the burial ground woods. But my question was about the comment not allowing NON family members. Ummm they don't allow even family members without that person jumping through hoops.

Wording makes such a differance. Seems like it's worded differant and confusing. This was the second time Doug knew he wouldn't be welcome, family member or not. When the story not told in it's entirety, it implies other things.

All I'm saying. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Also, put it in perspective. McMullin basically got his hand slapped.

This is NOT a felony. It is an inconvenience. Sure, it's unjust. Sure, a different judge might have ruled differently. But it still wasn't as harsh, I'd bet, as twi would have liked.

quote:
....fined $100 and $75 in court costs. The judge also ordered Mr. McMullen to stay off of TWI's property and to have no contact with TWI's board members for a period of 2 years.
having no contact with the board members for a couple of years would sound good to me icon_wink.gif;)-->

but i know that's not what doug is about

so he had to pay $175 bucks is that it ? i'm sure the board of dicktators certainly would have liked a better outcome

the only thing that i don't like (and i might be wrong on this) is doug's love and reverence for the man of god doctor victor paul wierwille.... i think that's way weird

but like i said, i could be wrong, plus it's just my personal opinion

• Upvote 1

Are any transcripts of today's court proceedings available? It would be interesting to read the testimony of the parties involved. I'd like to see how TWI justifies its heartless and ridgid policy. I have a hunch that they used the, "There are former followers with a destructive agenda, from whom we need protect ourselves" slant.

But in reality, there was no requirement for them to justify their actions. TWI is private propertry. As private property owners, they are entitled by law to determin who does and does not have access to their property. Of course, they don't come off looking very charitable in the circumstances surrounding this case, but since when (in recent history) has TWI been concerned with appearing charitable? Their hubris knows no bounds.

They may have obtained a court victory today (such as it was), but they clearly passed on the opportunity to obtain a moral one. This, along with a growing number of publicly disputed issues, works more and more to discredit them as a "Christian" organization. Clearly they have little interest in learning from past mistakes.

• 5 years later...