GreaseSpot Cafe

Imprisoned by Elitism

skyrider

In the late 70s/ early 80s, I was a staffer at twi's hq......and imprisoned by elitism. To me, nothing outside of twi mattered......it was the center of my universe.

With hindsight perspective, I now see how the elitism rung was higher up the ladder than the "read your bible and help others" rung. The indoctrination of the corps program turned my desire to serve God and His people inward.....and solely, twi-service. Vpw and Lcm both fanned the flames of this elitist mindset .... year after year.

All "service" becomes SELF-service. And, serving the top brass is equivalent to full commitment and duty... a twisted perversion of true giving. It's like.....an elitist mindset is the perfect prison. No bars are needed, no further training........only a quick snap of the whip of allegiance and the subject obeys.

Why is it........that so many newly-graduated corps are ASSIGNED to hq staff? Several reasons for sure..... but one of them is conditioned allegiance with an elitist mindset. This alone keeps them locked into the staff ranks for a good decade or so. Many of my fellow staff co-workers are STILL there..... 26 years later.

Long gone from the staffer's thinking is the biblical truth of "Go, Stand and Speak." After all, the hub of activity, the "center of God's will", the "holy ground of the prevailing word" is........just south of New Knoxville, Ohio. Therefore, COME AND SEE.......same as it was years ago.

For years and years, I rarely talked to my earthly family, missed countless weddings, reunions, funerals, get-togethers, holidays, etc.......all in name of serving this elitist mindset. After all, "we were the best".....vpw told us so.

Elitism: The Perfect Prison.

:evildenk:

What good is having the truth if it can not serve others?

Jesus said the servant is the greastest of all and to be like a child.. etc.

a child is eager for new adventures and new horizons and to serve means to help another.

may have been the money, keep it to their own and it may have been fear all along fear that they really didnt have the truth after all and then what if the people found out where would the whole party go then?

so keep them home.

one thing I see and it is difficult to explain it doenst mean the motive was hate or control in an honest sense of being "evil". Love can form itself in such a way no out side influence can be allowed in "the famous hedge of protection" remember?

problem is it leaves Jesus christ and the Father out of the equation.. and just doenst work without them.

Wow Skyrider,

Wonderful post, wonderful topic.

Yes TWI bred in us this thinking. I remember people saying to me years after I had left, how that I gave this air about me that made them feel that they were inferior to me somehow.

How sad that made me feel. I had become the VERY thing I detested about those leaders in TWI that did this to me.

I remember seeing and experiencing this in TWI. People who trashed others in the name of "TWI" to keep the household clean. I remember those who made us feel if we didn't shop at certain stores, or buy a certain 'kind' of equipment ie - from CD players, VCRs, Beta Machines, Holistic foods.... (sanctioned by the BOT of course) we were not part of the 'real committed' ones.

OH the horse-doodoo........ is sooooo thick ... it makes me puke!!

My family members suffered a great deal because of TWI and what they made us think about our 'earthly' families and how they were to be treated as trash.

Elitist thinking... straight from the pit of hell!

Edited by A la prochaine

...And what's so sad is that twi considered itself to be "spiritually sharp"...so many "sincere leaders" trying to "be their best for God"...gimme a break! If they were so spiritually sharp, this should have been a no brainer. Lording over people, controlling every aspect of thier lives...and these guys went for it?...

...Either they went for it, or they knew they were wrong and went along anyway...in EITHER case...they failed! They failed miserably. They were either spiritually NUMB or they were agreeing to evil...take your pick.

I won't be happy until the entire organization is defunct...dissolved...disbanded...and...neutered.

Great topic Skyrider...I think the irony of it all was a real wallop to the ego. Here I was thinking I'm in with the folks that have the most knowledge, spiritual insight and freedom - - only to learn afterward I was taken for a ride!

"Unapproachable" - that's how I was described by my former co-workers. They watched me become that way as I got deeper and deeper entrenched in TWIt thinking and attitude. I was just looking for a fight - for someone to say something typical and stupid of the egg sucking world so that I could "confront them with the Word". :redface:

My grandmother said that even when I was there visiting, I wasn't really "there". I was either critiquing and criticizing every little thing they did and said or I was on my guard for things I knew I'd have to listen to my ex rant and rave about when we were alone. I hated listening to him tear down the folks I love so much and who would give their eye teeth for me, but on the other hand I was just as bad as he was....worse really because they loved me from day 1 and my attitude was like a knife straight to the heart.

I cringe when I think of how elitist I was in public while feeling like I could never measure up to the TWI standard when I was at home. I was a piece of TWIt sh1t but even that was better than those who weren't even good enough to be TWIts. :doh: Quite the paradox, no?

Great topic Skyrider...I think the irony of it all was a real wallop to the ego. Here I was thinking I'm in with the folks that have the most knowledge, spiritual insight and freedom - - only to learn afterward I was taken for a ride!

Yeah, T-Bone......what a detour in life, eh? Twas a wild and insane detour to follow those signs to wierwille road and hiway 29. :doh:

"Unapproachable" - that's how I was described by my former co-workers. They watched me become that way as I got deeper and deeper entrenched in TWIt thinking and attitude. I was just looking for a fight - for someone to say something typical and stupid of the egg sucking world so that I could "confront them with the Word". :redface:

My grandmother said that even when I was there visiting, I wasn't really "there". I was either critiquing and criticizing every little thing they did and said ......color]

I can soooo relate.

Every book, every movie, every church teaching........I was critiquing and criticising it. Seemingly, nothing measured up to "this ministry that taught me the word." Lo and behold, the scales fell from my eyes and the elitism melted away..........and I saw how twi had laced their classes with PRIVATE INTERPRETATION.

Slick vic's con was GONE.........and the prison doors opened.

:dance:

I remember I tried to keep an 'open mind' (OH MY GOD...THE DEVIL'S WORDS!) to many things ... especially music but so often if any of my 'thoughts' were voiced, they were quickly shut down, put down and I was then reminded that I should not be so 'weak' and to be aware of the influences I am allowing in my life.

So like Skyrider said, they didn't need prisons, we put ourselves in the prison, locked the door and handed them the key.

I remember trying to have fun in my life but I certainly wasn't having it in that Jesus forbidden outfit! I did what I had to do in TWI because I thought it was my duty not because it was fun. So when I did have fun (what I considered fun for me) I would think...'this won't last' or 'I'm not supposed to be having this much fun with an unrelated TWI activity, therefore, it must be the DEVIL who is tricking me away for my DUTIES.'

What a tangled web.

I must say that ever since finding GSC and learning the truth about ole' Vic and his cohorts, I can now honestly say that I'm happy at doing whatever it is I do or HAVE to do. I can get passionate about my life, about hobbies, interests and not feel guilty for it. I can love, engage, open up, be exhilirated .. and feel at peace with the universe.

: )

That's what tore me apart. I wanted to serve God and I new that would involve some sort of leadership. But I didn't want to lord over people. Finally I woke up and saw that you can't serve God in the way He would want us to love peple in twi. Why did it take me so long to figure it out. I guess I thought they would finally wake up one day and say hey we have been doing it wrong. But that never happened and I guess it never will.

Yup.. I can relate to it all..

THe thoughts I used to have about people, because they didn't quite measure up to the standard of the WOrd I was taught.. Aren't we just human anyways?!

I really feel sorry for those I kicked out myself.. (With leadership approval of course).. One couple was just cause they had debt and didn't sell everything just to get out of it.. Gee.. What was I thinking..

The paradox..

I have debt today! Bought a house.. And it's gonna be a number of years before that's all paid off..

One couple I was forced into lording over their entire life. Walking into their house demanding they clean it up the way I thought they should, cause there house was cluttered.. (I say forced, since my leadership said I needed to, and hey, I was the one "overseeing" them).. But was it really forcing, nah.. I went along with it with no problem since I was led to believe I was doing God's will. [The strangest thing: They thanked me years later and even sent me a multi thousand dollar check in thanks. If that don't make you feel elite, what would?]

Damn that elite mindset. Damn the ego.. I'm an idiot.. ANyone want to walk all over me now? Hehe.. I need it from time to time...

Sounds like you've done a pretty good job of that on your own, T&O. :wink2: We don't beat up on folks like that here cause there's too many of us who have done the same things. :redface: I apologize when I can, when I can't, there's nothing much I can do. I've asked God to forgive me and I've forgiven me.

It's so much nicer and more peaceful now without the burden of micro-managing and judging other people, isn't it? As Maya Angelou says, "You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better. Whatever you have done in the past ..... you did what you knew how to do. You are responsible for it. But from here on out, you will know better and you will do better—a whole lot better. You can start now by making intelligent and informed choices ..... If the plan isn't working, change the plan."

BUT, if it'll make you feel better, I'll take that multi-thousand dollar check off your hands. I know, it's not much, but it's the least I can do. ^_^

I often wonder if that isn`t why some folks (not all) drift into particular splinter groups....a continuing need to still feel special and elite...like twi believers are some how a cut above your average Christian.

I talk to a suprising number of ex way people even years after leaving that are still too arrogant to go to a church or fellowship with other brands of Christians.

Edited by rascal

Good point, Rascal. :eusa_clap: Heck, we see it here at the GSpot quite a bit and, although tone of voice doesn't carry very well, with some folks their distaste for church is really just lingering waybrain and the desire to remain somewhat "spay-shul", which isn't easily found in church but is readily available in many offshoots.

(some and many being the operative words here)

Thanks Bell, I don`t mean what I said in a mean, judgemental, or critical way either. We are free to chose whom we enjoy fellowshipping with period.

I just think that in our arrogance, we might miss what is of value offered by different Christians who practice differently and focus on other aspects of our spiritual walk.

It is a legacy of our participation in twi.

It is also our loss.

Edited by rascal

T&O and Belle, it makes me very thankful to know that you have the attitude you do about your past, it helps restore my ability to trust... and that Maya Angelou quote is perfect. there are a few people I will apologize to if the opportunity is found. one is to someone near and dear to me who I am trying to see at the earliest opportunity. last time I saw her I was still "in".

I won't go to a splinter group, although that's the first place I looked when I thought of leaving twi. I couldn't imagine life without regimented religion... but I craved freedom, so I broke all ties with religion except belief that God is Love. the rest is being sorted out.

I won't go to a church or a home study group because I'm scared. I don't want to be sucked into a cult again. I'll visit some churches when I'm stronger and see if it's something that fits into my life.

Potato, I was there....honest. I had to get to the point where I had to make the decision if I even BELIEVED there was a God after the fiasco of depending on him to operate as I had been taught...

After I made that decision, I told (ok shouted while brandishing the middle finger) him something to the effect that EVERYTHING that I had ever been taught about him was a lie....(yeah I know but I was having a temper tantrum) and that IF he really was there...just to stay the eff away from me...

It was really wierd, almost audible, like a warm chuckle, and the words or impression that NOW that THAT was settled, that I really didn`t know anything....we could start back at square one.

It all boiled down to the decision to believe that YES there was a God and based on that supposition.... I COULD manage the first two great comandments...*love God and Love my neighbor*

It was a start and he has been patiently building on that new rock solid foundation laid after my other *house* built on the sand came crashing down..

Be patient with yourself and God, he really IS faithfull to restore what the locusts have destroyed.

Edited by rascal

What Rascal so eloquently said. :)

It takes time and what works for one person doesn't work as well for another. Some folks are very comfortable and happy in one of the offshoots - good on 'em! There are good groups out there and good-hearted people.

Some of us wanted absolutely nothing to do with a church, much less God. Some of those decided to stay that way for even more varied reasons. Others, go back to an offshoot or a church, some to the religion they were raised to believe.

I think, for me, it's been a process of learning and I'm still learning. I don't have all the answers and I think we're not supposed to - we DO see through a mirror darkly, right? I think that mainstream Christianity is missing it in a lot of places, but I do very much enjoy the church I visit occasionally and I will continue to go, but I will also continue to "do my own thing". And that "thing" changes on a monthly, daily, hourly basis. :wink2:

I'm not sure how long you've been out - it's just over 2 years for me - but you will get more confident in your ability to trust yourself and you'll be able to hear, feel, sense that still, small voice inside you more clearly again. This time, you know what it is and that we should listen to it. (((((Potato))))) It's a long, strange trip, but it's a good one! Enjoy the journey and the process knowing you're not alone. :)

Many of my fellow staff co-workers are STILL there..... 26 years later.

Oh gosh, skyrider, that is soooooooo sad. Unimaginable!

Rascal, good point about splinters. Twiers are so conditioned to think they have the

truth and it's up to them to make sure everyone knows JC is not G. Gee, what

about a little brotherly love. Isn't that the second great commandment? That's what

I look for in a church. If they've got that, imho, they can't be too far off, can they?

wb

Edited by waterbuffalo

People have been on staff for 26 years??? Yeee Gawd

I think Joe & Linda C*ulter have been there longer, as have Rosalie and Donna M.

Reminds me of that Paul Simon song:

"Hiding in my room, safe within my womb

I touch no one and no one touches me

I am a rock.... I am an island...."

Imprisoned - yup - by Elitism and Arrogance.

Edited by Hope R.

Potato, I was there....honest. I had to get to the point where I had to make the decision if I even BELIEVED there was a God after the fiasco of depending on him to operate as I had been taught...

After I made that decision, I told (ok shouted while brandishing the middle finger) him something to the effect that EVERYTHING that I had ever been taught about him was a lie....(yeah I know but I was having a temper tantrum) and that IF he really was there...just to stay the eff away from me...

It was really wierd, almost audible, like a warm chuckle, and the words or impression that NOW that THAT was settled, that I really didn`t know anything....we could start back at square one.

rascal, thanks for sharing this. it made me laugh! it really is ok to start back at square one.