GreaseSpot Cafe

Recent article on the emporia campus

GT

Kinda ties in nicely with Skyrider's thread on Imprisoned without Bars.

Not that, at the time, anybody from TWI thought that they were imprisoned.

How ironic...that Emporia could possibly turn into a minimum security prison.

...and they took the wrecking ball to Kenyon Hall!...That would have been fun to watch.

Maybe they could put a big fence around the place and turn it into an interrogation center for suspected terrorists...make em sit on the top floor of Wierwille library for hours and listen to lcm teaching tapes...over and over and over...they'd be talkin' in no time. :wink2:

Okay,

I am really having a memory problem.

Whe we pulled into the drive way going from left to right

The old brick dorm was called? Emporia Hall?

Then, the newer one?

Then, where we ate?

Then, the churchy place for Sunday night service?

Then, where JAL had his office and corps night was?

Then, a newer dorm building?

Then, the actual church we took the cross of kind of in the center front by the street area?

I do not recall any names

ummm this is right to left

Emporia Hall

i forget

i forget, but it had a sunlight room (probably sonlight)

Anderson Library

Carnegie3_sm.jpg

Kenyon

Wierwille (was it library also?)

Uncle Harry

Ermal Owens

and the church thing

and allen gym

Edited by rhino

sprawled out,

Yeah, I'm with you ... lots of fond memories (and yes, some not so fond) of that place. I remember my first block there doing "ornithological excrement removal" to the sidewalk underneath some trees in front of the campus center between the hours of 3 a.m. and 6 a.m....hiding in unused rooms to get a nap during lunch ... once even hiding in a closet to avoid a workday and being discovered by visiting on-the-field Corps who didn't even seem surprised to see me ... neat times of fellowship by the pond ... yes, even fun times with good friends on Bless Patrol ... how pretty it was decorated for the holidays ... I guess over time, it is like lots of things ... one remembers the good times and tries to forget the bad ... It is a shame it could not have survived as a regular secular college ... I think it was a really neat small campus in the middle of a town.

I graduated from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and it, too, is a beautiful campus, but there is nothing small about it ... Emporia had the feel of a small town campus, and I liked that a lot. It was my favorite root locale while in TWI.

This is not said to condone any of the sins of the folks in TWI, past or present ... it's just my personal nostalgic view of about 42 acres in Kansas.

You have judged corectly, Exie... I did spend maany hours, just working that lil' brush on the outter walls, just sos I could present that building without spot and without blemish.

Guess who was my co-worker??? The now-famous HarveY. We filled the air with a thick cloud of cigatette smoke while brushing in the spirit...

I don't need pics. I ginosko every square centimeter ...

My memories there came from the 1986 Advanced Class. I had a great time. Best time in my life up to then. I had done some resistence of regulations, but that made it all the more...fun. Wasn't there a large pond out back behind the buildings where we met to talk the word and have a small campfire? Anyone remember that or did I just dream it?

Eagle

Yeah, there was the pond out back where the swans lived. Many Corps weddings were performed there.

I remember raking leaves on the grass out front and shoveling snow on the circle drive at odd hours of the morning. I made some great friends working on the Grounds crew.

Reading this article was creepy for me - and also sad. I went here with a heart full of love for God. I left there knowing the ministry was a mess and that I would never be back.