GreaseSpot Cafe

Did you ever skitch?

rhino

skitchers  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Mark your first thought (it may not be revelation)

• Sure I skitched, but I still graduated
    • Yes, but I didn't inhale
    • Of course, but clorox removes the skid marks
    • yes, but watch the manhole covers
    • yeah, and a little bee bop
    • No, I just said NO
    • No, but I voted for skitch before I voted against it

Lemme shout it from the rooftop! I'm still under 50!!!! Not for too long, as 48's creeping right up on me next summer, so I'll say it any chance I get!

I don't know nothin' bout skitchin' no sheet or whatever that was ol' man rhino was speakin' of... really, I don't!

Truly, I thought it was a personal cuss word or catchall word known only to rhino, maybe even a special language understood only by them Illi-noisy-uns over there.

(I can say that, cause my momma and my brother were both born in that state, which explains a lot!)

It's not my fault I was born in WI - just lucky that way. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

"Skitching is-----"

Oh, wait. Are all the youngsters out of the room?( Wouldn't want to plant any ideas)

All clear? Good. Let's begin.

The year is 1962. It's been snowing off and on for weeks. The snow plows have long since stopped trying to expose the bare pavement and are content to leave the streets with a thin layer of ice. It's way past sunset and the street light at the corner is burned out. We wait anxiously in the bushes beside Mrs. Finklefarkles' front porch. Suddenly, a lone car approaches the stop sign at the corner and dutifully comes to a halt. As it resumes its journey , we slip stealthfully from the bushes and squat down out of view and grab hold of the bumper. We "skitch" behind for as long as we are able.( though as mstar1 pointed out, one must always be on the lookout for manhole covers and dry spots. )It became somewhat of a skill,actually, to be able to feel the dry spots and simultaneously stretch out and let go. As we became of driving age ourselves, the game escaladed considerably but there may be young 'uns lurking about so you will have to just imagine how it evolved.

O.K.----With that out of the way, it's safe once again for the youngsters to come back into the room.

I tried snow skitching a few times [think I was 17 at the time] – until I hit a dry patch of road [or it might have been a big pothole]. Thereafter I KNEW what slamming on the brakes felt like – literally – especially my knees, hands and face…The craziest thing I’ve seen – a few years ago in Manhattan – kids on roller blades skitching on the back of UPS trucks – did yah hear me? I said “in Manhattan”!

Okay, I cheated... I googled it. :biglaugh:

I'VE BEEN SKITCHING!!

:jump:

Once.... My freshman year in college it snowed on April Fool's Day. Big snow - LOTS of snow - in Mississippi! It hardly ever snows in Mississippi. But April 1, 1987 it snowed something like 3 inches in a very short period of time. Classes were cancelled and we hit the streets and hills and the cafeteria lost all their dinner trays. :P We blocked off the street in front of the guys' freshman dorms and it was strictly reserved for skitching. It was a hilariously fun day!

I kept thinking I had left something out and then it hit me: Leather soled shoes.

When I was 13, all I wanted for Christmas was a pair of leather soled "engineer boots".

There under the tree that year was a Red Ryder BB gun. No! Wait! I'm confusing movie fantasy with real life. There under the tree was a brand spankin' new pair of Engineer boots.

It was one of those Christmases that lives forever in your memory. If my folks had any idea

I needed them to skitch, I doubt they would have bought them.

Since skitchin' was best done under the cover of darkness, we needed a daytime activity as well.

Thus, "cannonballing" was invented. To cannonball, one needed only to find a sledding hill that

had become too icy from overuse. Starting from as far back as we could, we would run full speed

to the crest of the hill. At that point we would leap into the air and land on the downward slope just as we tucked tightly into the "cannonball" position. There were no manhole covers or dry spots but usually plenty of ruts and rocks. And to think that all you really needed was a good pair of Engineer boots and a bit of a daredevil attitude.

Loved to skitch............To old now. Back in the day we would get a little toasted and ride the bumpers to where ever, of course hitting a dry patch was a pain in the A$$.