GreaseSpot Cafe

snow

likeaneagle

Make that ham and pineapple...with a little cinnamin sprinkled on top...yummy!

Uh-oh!! Now I've done it! :(

Raf, Dooj, Oakspear, and others will soon be here

to say that pineapple NE-GATES pizza.

(sigh!!!)

I think the IV Pizza War (here at GSC), might've just begun.

:( :( :(

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coolchef: 12 FEET?? I'm impressed!!!! hahahahahahahahaha

Okay. Snow. Lots of snow. Lots and lots and lots of snow. And wind. And did I mention it's cold???

The roads weren't that horrible when I left work at 4 pm yesterday. What was horrible was the way many drivers opted to move into the middle of intersections that they'd have no chance get through before their light turned red. This little trick gridlocked the whole doggone city. And then there were the yahoos who came sneaking around in the parking lane and bullying their way into lines of traffic that hadn't moved an inch for 30 minutes.

Getting bored at one such 30-minute "parking opportunity," I called the local oldies station and said, "Could you please play some soothing music before I'm forced to get out of my car and smack one of these rude people?" My friend, stuck in another part of the city and listening to the same station, called me and said, "Was that you??" We had a good laugh, sitting in our respective snowy parking lots, going nowhere. :D

This morning when I let the dogs out, I could barely open my back door, which is under an awning that usually keeps me from getting more than a few inches at the doorway.

My poor little EmmaDog didn't know what to do because the snow is higher than she is....kinda hard to squat, if you know what I mean. And she's back in that lampshade contraption, which serves as a snow plow, Poor thing.

The good news is that it's a snow day! I had the option of taking a vacation day or working at home. I brought work home, in case I can't get out of my driveway tomorrow, but today it's nothing but hot chocolate, old movies, and looking out the window at the pretty white stuff.

Stay safe, everyone!

Linda,

What a delightful post, even if it was brought about by bad weather. :)

Greek2me,

I would love that type of pizza, yum.

David and Groucho,

That ain't pizza, that is desert. Yuck.

Papa-Gee,

You got that hang of those smilies pretty good there, they can help a post speak better I think.

And it's always nice to meet new folks around here. Especially when we share some of the same past.

All that's misisng on a snow day like today is a couple of friends to come over and have Monopoly or Boggle or Canasta marathons with. Alas, no one lives close enough.

I really have to work on my dogs' card-playing skills.

Oh, and welcome, Papa-gee. And Chatty, my apologies for butting into the first post of the page. Just like those rude drivers!!

papa gee-----Yep! My reference was indeed to "The Mistake by the Lake".

I still kinda miss the place even though I've been gone for over 30 years.

When it used to snow like this in Cleveland, people would look out the window and say

"Huh! Looks like it snowed a bit" :rolleyes:

Welcome to The Cafe!!

Well, I think we got about 6-7 inches, but it's blown about so much it's hard to tell. My old crippled Labrador got stuck in a snowdrift this morning and husband had to tote her back to safey. We got the car stuck. Got it out a couple hours later, with a neighbor's help. I miss my CR-V.

I've been home two days with a nasty awful cold that produces a brain-rattling cough, but I have to go back to work tomorrow. I'm glad I was off. THE Ohio State University Medical Center considers ALL its employees essential in time of severe weather. Never mind I'm almost 40 miles away, out in the country, etc. You are supposed to get there ON TIME and stay until dismissed. You may not do your regular job. (unfortunately, this doesn't mean I get to perform open heart surgery because the regular surgeon didn't show up and I get paid $500,000). I would most like be required to push a gurney, about 400 pounds, upon which was a patient, about 360 pounds, who would say, "Honey, I need a bedpan! RIGHT NOW!" So this is one cold I don't too much regret.

Husband, son and grandson went sledding. It's almost dark out, so hopefully they have come to their senses and are heading home. There is a kiddies' program at our church on Wednesday evenings, but probably it has been canceled too. The whole middle part and northern part of the state seems a frozen parking lot. I can hardly wait until 6:30 AM tomorrow morning, when I head out to become a slave of the big block O once again.

Oh, yeah, I remember teh blizzard of 1978. What a nasty situation. Waysider, fellow fellowlaborer of Ohio, may also remember the winter before that, when there was not so much snow, but it got down around 0 degrees and stayed there. Our then limb leader got the brilliant idea of making troughs down a hillside at limb, which was out on Home Road somewhere, and we could all get out in the icy and refreshing, stimulating and energizing night cold, well below zero, and slide down the hill. One frolicking soul broke off a fruit tree which had been planted the previous summer, by my husband, who had graduated fellow laborers of Ohio, but was just as irritated as if he'd been there himself. And I got in trouble, because as usual, I wasn't out enjoying freezing my butt, but hanging around inside where it was warm.

WG

WG

I can understand your husbands' frustration with that incident.

He put a lot of heart and soul into everything he did there.

His hard work seemed to be underappreciated except at dinner when everyone was thankful for the food that somehow"magically" appeared before our eyes. :)

And yes, I think you are correct about the winter before the blizzard. I think in some ways it was actually worse because the sub-zero temps seemed to last forever. We had plenty of snow that year as well but it stretched out over the whole winter rather than blowing in all at once with gale force winds.

Hope you start feeling better. Didn't they teach us something about eating raw potatoes for a cold? Never tried it myself.

Well, got to go. My grandson Cletus(that's his name) dared his brother Cleophus(the ornery one) to stick his tongue on the flagpole. 'Spose I should leave him there awhile to teach him a lesson?

:wave:

Thanks for the good wishes. Cleophus should definitely learn a lesson from this one!

It's still way too cold for my taste here in the center of the state of Ohio. We took son home last night about 9:00 and I got to drive back, over about 20 miles of lovely black ice, with another driver on my rear way too close all the way. Such fun!

I really will go back to work tomorrow. I wonder how many fellow spotters have had to brave the ice and cold and work through all this junk? Anyone with tales to tell out there?

WG

Thanks Waysider and thanks Cool Chef! And man oh man if there is one thing I like is pineapple pizza! Not always what I order, but I do like it. And man, three inches an hour? Thats alot of snow! But its not like I havent seen that here in Colorado. And I thought we were all going to drown due to globel warming. Sometimes its hard to know what to believe. Al Gore makes his movie and gets everybody ascaird, and then now we have record low temperatures and record snow. So wich is it? I think only God knows.

Well, Indiana got hit pretty hard - - lots of ice storms with snow and power outages in the south. Central IN (where I am in Indy) rec'd about 8-12" depending on the city. We had 8" here at my house. Tuesday was our first snow day in the 8 years we've been in the Midwest, so Joseph was soooooooo happy! It dropped about 4 inches, then we had sleet for about 4 hours, then a few more inches of snow.

We made a quick trip to his girlfriend's house in the treacherous, nearly blizzard portion of the day, so they could "see each other" before Valentine's Day when we knew the roads would probably be closed and only got stuck twice, gunned it and pushed a little and just barely made it home and up the driveway.

Yesterday was snow day #2 :biglaugh: and most counties in Central and Northern IN were closed to traffic, emergency vehicles and snow plows only til about noon while they cleared the main arteries. The boy and I spent about 6 hours digging out from the overnight "drifts" that wildly blew from rooftops, increasing our 8" to about 2". My poor Jack Russel Terrier, Oliver, who loves the snow went out yesterday and came back in whimpering "I can't go anywhere" as the snow buried him, so I had to dig him some paths in the backyard so he could "go". :)

I'll tell ya, shoveling front walks, mailbox paths, long driveway and backyard made me feel every bit my nearly 52 years. Can you say "sore back"??? It was nice and sunny all day though, a nice reprieve to the gloom we've been having. Side roads finally got plowed enough for company to arrive for Valentine's Day dinner :eusa_clap::biglaugh: Roses, nice dinner, a fire and a good Merlot. Boy, I LOVE winter ;)

J.

Having grown up in Central Indiana I miss many things, however snow is not one of them. The north side of Indy and Carmel is one of the nicest places in America to live for families, IMO. I miss the Colts, Bob and Tom, the trees, nice people, traffic that I could avoid by taking some country road around it and homes that are affordable.

Having spent the past year in South Florida and the two years prior to that in Southern California, I have learned to appreciate all the things I had in Indiana.