GreaseSpot Cafe

So how big is TWI these days?

Wanderer

Waysider --- I never heard that teaching.

Yeah, it was weird.

Maybe it was Donnie Fug!t who taught it. Too long ago.

You were supposed to do the whole meeting(minus the manifestations)

You didn't have to say "let's turn to #---", but you were supposed to pray, sing, and teach just as if there was an audience.

I remember the phrase, " Your responsibility is to hold forth The Word, God's responsibility is to give the increase."

Luckily, I only had to do it a couple times because back in those days, there usually wasn't much problem filling the room with people who were looking for answers to life's problems. And, despite all the "good old days" memories we have, it was a time when the world was in major turmoil.

What's that old song?

Eve Of Destruction

The Eastern world It is explodin'

Violence flairin'

Bullets loadin'

And even the Jordan River

Has bodies floatin'

But you tell me

Over and over again, my friend

You don't believe

we're on the eve of destruction.

We did that as WOWS and I heard it taught before.

Then as numbers dwindled even regular twigs were supposed to go out witnessing if no on showed. Embarrassing- trying to get new people to come to fellowship when it was so boring you couldn't get anyone who drank the koolaid to show!

:confused:

I remember that... Funny story: I actually BROUGHT SOMEONE to fellowship one night, and my FC was upset because now we weren't supposed to go witnessing (because we had a new person)...

AND THAT WASN'T IN THE SCHEDULED PLAN.

WFT?

In the LCM daze a new person showed up at our fellowship, a few minutes late. HFC met them at the door to reprove them for lateness. Nope, they didn't come back.

Javajane-

What branch was that?

Can anyone else give specific numbers for specific branches in recent years?

Yeah... I remember that teaching, too. Something about "it's our job to take believing action, and it's God's job to provide the results." So, if you've done your part and there are no results, just enjoy the fellowship anyway.

Wow, what a different story it became in the 90's when we were asked to write down (and turn in) what negative thing in our lives was keeping the Word from moving in our area.

Javajane-

What branch was that?

Can anyone else give specific numbers for specific branches in recent years?

Sorry, Johnj - I try not to give much of any personal info online... I can tell you it was in the Midwest.

Johnj,

Are you John Juedes?

It's not hard to figure out, is it?

I'm always interested in firm numbers rather than broad estimates. When you put together enough numbers, the broad estimate gets more precise and less subjective. This is what I've seen on forums:

So Cal (recent) - 2-3 fellowships (~ 15 people)

San Diego 2002, 7-8 fellowships

So FL - 2 fellowships in whole branch

A mid-west branch - 20 people total

FL 2004 - "1/3 of previous size")

If any of you can add particular branches or cities to this list, please do. Then do the addition for yourself.

It's not hard to figure out, is it?

. . . Then do the addition for yourself.

Let's see, Maggie Muggins, Johnny Jump-Up, Mr. Ambassador, Cheif Cornerstone, Snowball Pete, Henry Baloco(sp?)

Did I miss anyone?

I think we'll call them a "Region"

:biglaugh:

A mid-west branch - 20 people total

Just to clarify for those doing addition - this was the number that showed for the branch meeting - not necessarily how many are IN the branch. I don't really know exactly how many are currently attending fellowship. May be less, may be more.

When I was in, attendance at branch meetings was pretty much mandatory. If you didn't show, you'd surely hear from someone.

It's changed a little in the past few years. I think they MAed so many people they cut off a pretty good portion of their income. Now they play all nice-nice (at least on the surface) with people as far as attendance goes. I think they realized that they would lose everyone if they kept that behavior up. It kind of backfired in a weird way - it's become very... corporate (?) minded. That's the only way I can explain it. Lots of rules for the higher ups on how to teach, how to speak, how to answer questions and requests for advice without giving an answer. It's very hard to explain... and it's very different from the LCM days. Not so militant, mainly just boring unless you are in a leadership position, and then you have to file tons of paperwork and follow a huge bureacracy.

Like I said, it's hard to explain... But the simplest I can put it is - attendance is not mandatory, please send us your money, even though we give you nothing in return.

I don't really think it will ever disappear, even though I think it should.

After all, the Flat Earth people are still around as are the Malthusians.

Now, the Shakers had an interesting concept----- no procreation. :blink:

That's seems to have had a less than desirable effect on bolstering their membership ranks. :wink2:

waysider - agreed.

...and as long as there's money, investments and assets to be gained, I think there will always be someone in line who will be trying to get their piece of the pie.

The only way it will disappear, is if the the current shareholders decide it's time to divvy up the goods and lock the doors.