GreaseSpot Cafe

For Music Lovers

polar bear

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you recognize genius?

I thought that THIS EXPERIMENT by the Washington Post was one of the more evocative things reagrding human nature that I have read in a long time.

The Post did an experiment. they convinced Joshus Bell, who is considered to be one of the greatest violinists of this era, to put on a TShirt and a baseball cap, and open the case to his $3.5 million Stradivarius and play for an hour in a subway station in Washington to see what would happen.

A hidden camera documented that during that during a 43 minute period, while Bell played some of the greatest music ever written for the violin (opening with Bachs 14 minuteChaconne) on one of the finest instruments the world has ever seen (the so called Gibson Stradivarius)and in aplace where the acoustics were not bad.

1097 people walked by, only 7 people stopped for more than one minute. Lots of people stood in line to by lottery tickets and didnt glance his way, there is heartbreaking footage of children who wanted to stay but being dragged away by theri parents, Of The 7 who stopped, only one person recognized him and of course most ironically the music fans with Ipod earbuds missed everything.

ARTICLE

I dont feel quite so bad when people talk or are disintersted while I play now, it seems listeners flunked the test

Here is an excerpt:

Socks...

Thanks for the Brother James videos...

I have a few songs I downloaded a long while ago of James and the Chicks live... wonderful tunes

Been listening to Brother James' Christmas album all day... must say it's in the top 3 christmas albums for me, if not... i might have to say right now, it's the top one in my books.

peace