GreaseSpot Cafe

do you understand the notes you made in your bible?

coolchef

No, I don't understand them. What does "oida" mean?

I have tons of cool stickers on my Bible though! A PFAL one, and a SIT one, and a WOW one. And in the back, I have a PFAL Ready Reference!

About 3 years after I left TWI, I found my old bible. I was packing for a camping trip, and found it mixed in with alot of other stuff.

I stuck it in my pack, and took it on the trip.

Saturday night, we had a big old bonfire.

I looked at my best friend Todd, who during my TWI time I was ordered not to have any contact with because "He wasn't a believer, and no intention of ever becoming one" and said "Its time to get rid of the last 10 years once and for all."

I pulled the bible out of my pack. I watched his eyes go wide, and I tossed it onto the bonfire.

He just smiled and said "its about time."

I found it incredibly hard to read my noted Bible for at least 10 years after I left., not because I couldnt physically read it but I'd read it and my mind would take off on one of the notes and off I'd be epiluo-ing all over the place.

I set it down for a good 10 or 15 years, and if I decided to read a Bible, I would read either a clean one or a different version. It was still incredibly difficult just to read even that for the longest time, because my tendencey like TWI's was to jump all over the place, triggered by words and phrases instead of just simply reading

When we were in FWC we were required to mark down all these numbers from the glossary or something of the holy spirit book with uses of holy spirit, with dechomai and lambano, the "also" stuff and so on. Now I have a beautiful Oxford King James with all this crap in it, in addition to Exeeedingly Great and Mighty Words of Wisdom from the MOGFART. It makes me sick. I do take it to church, but I hope no one ever looks over my shoulder as says, "Hey, what are those numbers and notes all about?"

Now, though I have great respect for our minister, I never write stuff down in my Bible. For one thing, there's not that much room, and for another, what if I find out that is not right either? I do like the Oxford, not because I can scribble LCM-required junk in the margins, but because it's very sturdily bound.

Oh and in answer to the original question, I have NO idea what the numbers are for - and I wouldn't be bothered to look it up again, either.

Oh, well, ...sigh.

WG

every once in a while i pick up the ole bible and read a few chapters

i did it every night during lent

old time r.c. you know.

back in twi daze,most of us took many notes.

while reading them in the margines this last month i realized i did not understand what to hell i was noteing about!!

The Bible that I trashed with a bunch of graffitti (oh, excuse me, notes) is sitting in a landfill someplace.

One thing I discovered: I cannot STAND the KJV wording. Somebody talked me into thinking that it was the best translation (grrr) and I convinced myself that I wanted to use it for years and years.

So now I use my RSV as the 'readable' version for enjoyment.

For those who still DO use their Bibles with all of the annotations, consider this: those "notes" are, in many cases, left over stuff from TWI. If you have any questions about whether TWI taught something correctly or not, looking at a TWI-amended Bible is maybe not the smartest thing in the world. After all, if you see a little 1c next to a usage of Holy Ghost, you are going to subconsciously THINK about Wierwille's breakdown of the differences in 'meaning' of pneuma hagion. If you see a 'literal according to usage' pencilled in the margins of your Bible, you will think about it...either consciously or subconciously.

My suggestion: get a 'clean' Bible. Read it without notes for a while (a couple of months). If you find yourself reading a 'literal according to usage' in a passage, force your brain to stop it! If your brain substitutes a Wierwille-inspired word substitution (for example "praying in the spirit = speaking in tongues"), discipline yourself to NOT do so as you read (in other words, just read what's actually THERE, not what somebody else has told you as what it really MEANS).

The point: if, after a couple of months of this, you might find it useful to 'rework' some of those 'literals according to usage' to see just how literal they are.

After all, we all have brains, we may as well use them independently!

I found it incredibly hard to read my noted Bible for at least 10 years after I left., not because I couldnt physically read it but I'd read it and my mind would take off on one of the notes and off I'd be epiluo-ing all over the place.

I set it down for a good 10 or 15 years, and if I decided to read a Bible, I would read either a clean one or a different version. It was still incredibly difficult just to read even that for the longest time, because my tendencey like TWI's was to jump all over the place, triggered by words and phrases instead of just simply reading

:offtopic:

I was thinking about this "jumping all around, being triggered by words and phrases" one time a few years ago and suddenly realized, Hey! I could make anything up! And most people would believe it! Even me! At that point I really didn't really want to participate in required teachings anymore (which had once been a sign of maturity and growth)

i even bought a rapidograph, so i could write the smaller than small! god, now i remember--i used to take notes during a teaching, then go home and transfer them, ever so carefully, into my bible. what a TWIt.

it means "should," as in "Why, I oida..."

:biglaugh:

No, I don't understand them. What does "oida" mean?

I have tons of cool stickers on my Bible though! A PFAL one, and a SIT one, and a WOW one. And in the back, I have a PFAL Ready Reference!

oida is greak for "fully knowledgeable". In that latin version is "video"

A list! A list! We need a list!

What the heck do all those funny marks mean?

d or l -- dechomai or lambano

also -- move, remove or place an also as taught by bullinger

hs -- holy spirit (as in, the gift) accompanied by a number for it's specific #usage

HS -- Holy Spirit (as in, the giver)

P

H

(help me out here, Out There, the P's and H's were from your post... are we talking pneuma's and hagion's or something else?)

Actually, at one point I got really, really anal and had red underlined verses for College Division retemories, and blue underlined verses for Way Corps retemories, and green underlined verses for Advanced Class retemories.

Geez, did I ever need a life!

Edited by TheHighWay

There were also the uses (any one remember the debate of whether to say use or usage of the word?) of spirit as in devil, holy, God, life of man

As I left TWI, we also moved out of town. Our van was packed and my companion bible was in a box near the door for easy access. My diary with the deathnotice of a parent and their very last letter to me was in it, pictures of my child's first birthday and other meaningful to me stuff like that. It was stolen out of the van.

So I started over with buying a fresh clean NIV study bible.