GreaseSpot Cafe

How much do you tip?

Dot Matrix

Went to the hair dresser today.

I think I may over tip -- I figure she worked on me for 2.5 hours

It was $145.00 and I gave her $16.00 normally I would do $20.00, but I ran out of money

A girl I know gives them $5.00 for a perm - or color -- I think that is cheap.

And do you tip like at Fudruckers where you go up and get the food. And the girl just wipes off the table. She doesn't even get or refill your drink?

How about at Subway where they have a tip jar to make your sandwich? I hate that.

I normally tip 15% - I was a waitress and I know how hard it is. If they are exceptional I give 20%.

I tip my hair dresser about 15% if I can...

I don't tip people that don't serve me.

Now, I had a "reverend" once try to tell me that I shouldn't tip because the employer paid the waitresses and he was just paying them again. He said he was trying to change the system =- but I thought he was just cheap.

Went to the hair dresser today.

I think I may over tip -- I figure she worked on me for 2.5 hours

It was $145.00 and I gave her $16.00 normally I would do $20.00, but I ran out of money

A girl I know gives them $5.00 for a perm - or color -- I think that is cheap.

And do you tip like at Fudruckers where you go up and get the food. And the girl just wipes off the table. She doesn't even get or refill your drink?

How about at Subway where they have a tip jar to make your sandwich? I hate that.

Waiter/Waitress in a full service restaurant: 15-20%, depending upon the service. I never leave NOTHING (unless gratuity is included). If I get bad service, I will leave a penny and a dime. (I leave both so they know it's not an accident).

Fast food: nothing. ever.

Starbucks/other coffee shop: if I see that they've done something special for me, a little (maybe a buck, no more)

Pizza/ Chinese delivery: a couple of bucks (round up to the next 5 usually -- a couple of bucks beyond if rounding would be too little)

Barber: the place I go, haircuts are $14. Because I'm retired military, I can get a military discount, or $9. So I'll give the $14, but $5 will be tip. If I am someplace else w/o a military discount, I'll tip a couple of bucks.

Dry Cleaner/ Alterations: if they do something out of the ordinary, I'll give the person who did that something a tip (if I can make sure it doesn't wind up in the tip jar -- I NEVER put tips in the tip jar)

Bartender: I'll generally tip a couple of bucks with the first beer. And then a couple more with the last beer, depending how many beers are in between :beer: :beer: :evildenk:

Car Wash (I don't get the car washed all the time at the real car wash, just a couple of times a year) -- if the person who details the car does a really good job, I'll slip him/her a five. But only if I can make sure the supervisor doesn't see it. The car wash uses illegals to do the detailing (on a piece rate basis)...a couple of them go to my church...and tips normally go into a locked tip container. About half of it is skimmed off the top for the boss...the rest is equally divided among the detailers. So if I can tip the person who does the detailing, I'll tip. But I won't tip the boss (who gets the money for the car wash anyway).

I'm good for tips (on the generous side),

but ONLY at sit down restaurants (when it comes to food).

Barbers, taxicab drivers, (service oriented things like that) get tipped too.

If I go to hear a musician play, and there is a tip jar out there by the stage ---

it's at least a five if not more/ plus I buy a cd (if they are good).

Tip jars by the stage mean that the musician gets the money --

and not the management of the club.

True story -------

My brother is a Captain for Delta Airlines. He used to fly international flights,

but now does domestic only. He was piloting a flight that landed in Kansas City.

Another plane pulled in behind his that had a crew on it,

that he and his crew were friends with.

About 6 or 7 of them decided to go out for dinner.

Both crews were on a day layover, so they went to a nice restaurant for drinks and steaks.

They arrive at the restaurant, hang their coats over the back of their chairs,

and the waiter shows up smiling and asking ---

"Gentlemen. What can I get you?"

One of the crew members notes that the waiter has no pad of paper, nor pen.

He says --- "Don't you want to get your order pad??"

The waiter put his hands behind his back, and gave them one of these ---

18827.gif18827.gif18827.gif

while saying --- "Order pad?? I don't think so".

So these folks (my brother and his friends) -- gave their order for drinks.

The waiter disappeared to fetch the drinks, and conspiracy ensued. :evildenk:

It was unanimous (at the table), that the waiter had *it coming to him*.

Coats were left hanging on the back of their chairs as before,

but everyone switched places at the table.

The waiter showed up with all the drinks ordered,

looked at them at the table, and said ------- "Hmmmmmmmm!

I see you've switched seats! Let's see -- you get --- "

And he delivered the correct drink to the correct person,

and made no mistake. When he took their order for food,

there was NO question, as to whether he needed an *order pad* or not!.

My brother (being an honest person), told me about this

(shaking his head at how good this guy was).

And also told me that this waiter got a tip that was about the same price as the meal!

They (at the meal), were MOST impressed with this guy's memory.

Me and my hubby are excellet tippers. In my younger years (way back when) :rolleyes: I used to waitress so I know what it's like. We actually tip 20-25% if they are really good and really nice. We tip according to the service. If we don't get good service we don't get guilted into tipping them.

We went to eat the other night and my husband's glass was empty and mine was less than 1/2 full. I set them both on the edge of the table. She brought my husband a refill and never did get me one - even after I finished mine completely. I thought that was so rude!!! SOOO, I left her a note telling her what she did, what she would have gotten and why she only got $1.00. Of course I was merciful - I didn't ask for the manager and tell him! :biglaugh:

I don't think I did anything to upset her - oh, I'm sure I didn't! When I get mad they know it :realmad: hehe Who knows why people act that way. As I get older I'm finding my VOICE.

What most people don't know is that the waitresses and waiters only get a little over $2.00 an hour and are taxed up to minimum wage. They live off their tips so I'm pretty good to them.

I tip my hairdresser pretty good too, usually AT LEAST 10% of what the service total is - excellent ones are hard to find!!

At buffets we tip $1.00 or $2.00 if they keep us in napkins and drinks.

I tip $1.00 at Sonic - hey they need tips for sure!!

I just figure I'm tithing in some way to help them out so it works for me. I'm generous!

I used to waitress as well.

So, a $20.00 tip to the hairdresser is fine? Seems like you all tip well.

The tip jar at like the Subway -- I tip a little because I do not want them to do something to my food, if they remember me, next time. I do not feel they did any extra....

Fudruckers I leave the table wiper a little something as she is really nice and I bet everything helps her, but I do not see others doing it.

Fudruckers? What in the world is a Fudruckers?

Frudruckers is Home of the World's Greatest Hamburgers !

We don't have any here in West Michigan Shell.... I've seen them in CA & NC ... worth a visit.

As far as tipping... 15-20% for service ....

Don't find myself in some of the places some of you've tipped in... life is full of many 'home-made' things these days

Restaurants depending on the service, 10-20%. At holiday time I tip better at our favorite Mexican restaurant. One time I was so impressed when I had ordered chicken in my quesadilla, the waitress came back and said the cook wanted her to doublecheck that I wanted chicken, as he knew I always ordered the same thing, beef. He was right - I had mistakenly ordered chicken. I'd have enjoyed the chicken, but I was impressed he remembered my "usual" better than I did.

Hairdressers I give $5. We never have anything other than a trim. I'm glad to know about tipping more for bigger jobs. What about if the hairdresser is the owner of the shop? Is it considered rude to tip the owner?

We have Fuddruckers here in Texas as well. Google the name and you'll get the official website - where you can find the Feiddruckers nearest to you.

I've never eaten there myself....Too many other choices for great food where I live.

Im a good tipper, unless the service is absolutely horrendous--and even then if the server is a total bonehead they have to really work in reverse for me not to tip them -but 99% of the time,I'll do between 15-25%-sometimes more. I remember having nothing and having to scratch for every nickel,

It comes back in other ways

Mark pretty much covered it

I generaly leave a dollar a person and then go 15% when the $1 doesnt do it. Around here with all the retiree's thats big tipping. They show up in a Mercades spend $8 for luch and leave a $0.25 tip.

I eat at the same restaurants all the time and get great service with that tip.

My youngest works at a CiCi's pizza bussing tables. Generaly no tips. One time they hard a party and he got a $20 tip.

My wife cuts my hair and I don't tip her.

In finishing school they taught us this acronym.

T I P S

To Insure Prompt Service

Customer service is such a lost art, it's tough to WANT to tip sometimes, but at local beer and shot dives or mom and pop places, we tip well 'cuz it's usually a student or a single mom (not a stereotype, but reality in our area) serving us.

If they hold our meal hostage or are generally cranky, I don't tip well, but rather minimal. Servers remember who does and doesn't tip.

wow - I'm still reeling over the $145 hairdress trip! LOL Oh my! I had no idea it could be so expensive!!

I usually tip 20% at sit down joints. Subway shops and coffee shops, I'll drop my change in the jar.

Hair cuts, well . . . I usually only get my hair cut 3 times a year, for the kids maybe 4 and I trim them in between. We do the cheapy places where they mist your hair and cut it - no drying, no styling. I usually tip between $2 - $3 per person (meaning if the boys and I all go together the tip is between $6 - $9). If Jacob is especially squirmey and the hairdresser is patient with him, I'll add extra. If the hair dresser is snotty to him, a little less.

Now, I had a "reverend" once try to tell me that I shouldn't tip because the employer paid the waitresses and he was just paying them again. He said he was trying to change the system =- but I thought he was just cheap.

Waitresses get paid a lot less than minimum wage. I wonder if he knew that. When minimum wage was $3.35 per hour in the early 80s, I made $2.15 per hour as a waitress. I depended on my tips. That reverend was cheap. Was he in twi??

I do tip minimum 15% to a waitress. If they are really good, then it is 20%. I tip my hair dresser the same. I tip a guy who handles bags on a shuttle $1 per bag.

ONCE I stiffed a waitress because she never came around. I had to have someone else run my credit card. By the time I was ready to leave, I left her a note telling her why I didn't tip her. She made our dinner frustrating, and we could see her coddling over another table across the restaurant. We had this lady once before and had the same thing. I hope my stiffing her left an impression.

wow - I'm still reeling over the $145 hairdress trip! LOL Oh my! I had no idea it could be so expensive!!

ROFLMAO! Me too, Abi! OMG! $145??? Dang, Dot - do they gold leaf your hair?

I'm a very contientious tipper and give at least 20% most of the time - that's for everyone I tip - servers, pizza delivery, hairstylist...

Skycap at the airport - $2-$5 bucks

Bartender - generally about a buck a drink

Places with tip jars - my change or a buck, most of the time

I also give gift cards at Christmas to my mailman, the garbage men, the recycle men, my favorite convenience store clerk, the neighborhood kid who sometimes cuts my yard, etc.

My Daddy used to be somewhat of a tightwad when it comes to tipping. He'd give only 10-12%, so whenever he came to visit I'd get a bunch of ones ready to very discreetly add to his tip. :biglaugh: I'm still always prepared, but have noticed that he's gotten much better at tipping in line with "my standards".... when he's with me, anyway.

If I go out on a date and notice the guy is rude and condescending to the servers and/or if he's a cheap tipper, we most likely will not be going out again.

I am a generous tipper...when merited, and with a great deal of understanding who gets what and what for...generally 20%.

Never mind having more than a few dee-grees, post grad with attendant title even, tyvm; I chose to return to bartending when life bit us in our collective buttocks...it is the bucks that work for me now.

People, from all stations in life (young/old & broke, in between, or young/old & loaded) can range from the sublime to the ridiculous in their "giving." People never cease to amaze me in that regard.

Scores of stories about scores of people clutter my experience in this regard. Overall, the monies earned balance out, but not necessarily becuz any one type of customer does the right thing all the time.

Yeppers...there was the time the Tiki patrons bet how many bottles of beer could fit in Jello Bob's prostetic leg...and the time the fella who came to us on the last day of his life...or the cast of regulars where "everybody knows their name" ( and wish we didn't)...or the guys who routinely are duped into believing their richards get bigger the more they drink...

What can I get for you today? LOL...we actually have cow-tipping occur at our place...

For restaurants it's generally 15% - 20%, more often 20% if I am ok with their service.

However, I do not tip at fast food (I don't generally eat fast food, other than Jersey Mike's or Jamba Juice every once in a while) nor do I tip at buffets unless they take care of drinks and such. In those cases, I give 10%.

If I get mad, I leave no tip at all. In those cases I also usually pay in cash so they don't have my name or anything, and I never go back to that restaurant again. There have been a few places I've had problems and given them second chances, but that was due to problems with the food rather than bad service, and they always had to make up the problems with the food somehow for me to return. Once I ate at my favorite Thai restaurant, and the larb was so spicy that I got blisters on the inside of my mouth, which I complained about. They did nothing, so I never returned to that place again, despite they fact that other than the one incident it used to be the best Thai food in Houston.

Where I do tip over 20% is when I'm at a bar or club. If you tip well initially, when things get busy, you will get priority service and stronger drinks.

Edited by Mister P-Mosh

For any amount over $30, cutting out the last whole dollar and change, then multiplying by 2 will give you a tip between 15 and 20%.

$39.99

cut out last digit and change (9.99) and you're left with the 3. Multiply that by two and you've left a $6 tip, almost precisely a 15% tip.

$49.99

$8 tip, 51 cents above 15%.

$99.99

$18 tip, where $14.99 (oh come on, $15) would be 15%.

You'll never go under 15% on that principle.

That means you really only have to remember three amounts:

$1.50 tip for a $10 service.

$3.00 for a $20 service

$4.50 for a $30 service

And I recommend going at least 50 cents over on each of those.

ALWAYS overtip the breakfast waitress. Hear me? ALWAYS. (assuming service that's not utterly atrocious).