GreaseSpot Cafe

What's your favorite Bible preposition?

Nato

Boy, another thread just reminded me of how much I missed doing sentence diagrams with a bible verse! Remember, if you were in a pinch for a teaching that you had to give at fellowship, you could just pick a staple verse and take it apart word-for-word. Good times. Remember that card we got at an AC special or something that had that diagram of Greek words? It had a circle and other markings, along with the Greek word for each symbol's status.

My favorite word from a young age was "pros", which I was told by my twig coordinator meant "together with, but distinctly independent of". OK, whatever.

I really should have gone to Jesus Camp. That would have probably been more fun. At least there I could wear camo facepaint and do interpretive dance about the book of Judges.

BUT -- Since I've left I've done a lot of work on the word "but". It's been fun.

"de" often translated and or but - indicates a contrast with what comes before, but does not negate it. It may just introuduce a new idea.

"alla" - almost always translated but - indicates a complete contrast and negation of what was stated before.

I got those definitions from Thayer's Greek dictionary if I remember right.. I like to work these. It is insteresting and not surprising that when you do a study, you often find yourself at odds with what we were taught in TWI.

When it comes to words like this though, I think of the book "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart D. Ehrman. It gives a very good idea of what scholars are really up against when working texts. The number of variations in manuscripts of the New Testament is actually larger than the number of words used in the New Testament. While most of them are differences that make no real difference in understanding. Some are real whoppers! If I were taching a class on studying the Bible, I would likely make this book part of the reading.

Edited by Keith

Then there is "throughly" ... or is it "thoroughly"? I know, that is not actually a preposition. I think they are both adverbs actually. But I can totally see God scratching his metaphorical head at TWI's issue with this one!

Clam

*Throughly* is an archaic spelling of *Thoroughly* -- nothing more. :)

All modern dictionaries note "throughly" as an archaic form of "thoroughly." By definition, then, if the difference is one of form, it is not one of semantics. The distinctive meaning you infer from "throughly" is back-formed from our modern word "through." Though both "thoroughly" and "through" derive from the Old English "thurh," the two words had already diverged by Middle English into "thorow" and "through." Since Middle English gave way to Early Modern English by the end of the 15th century, the translators of the KJV in 1611 could not have been intending an adverbial form of "through." Rather, they used an earlier form (i.e., spelling) of the word we now spell "thoroughly."

Regardless of all that --I still like the music of George Thoroughlygood. :)

Or is that George Throughlygood??

Now I'm confused! :confused:

:biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

*Throughly* is an archaic spelling of *Thoroughly* -- nothing more. :)

Regardless of all that --I still like the music of George Thoroughlygood. :)

Or is that George Throughlygood??

Now I'm confused! :confused:

:biglaugh:

My favorite philosopher is Henry David Thorough. Or Henry David Through.

Lambano, lamballo, laballo, ballo, ball, throw, throw it out.

Yeah! Yeah! That's the ticket! THROW IT OUT!

Sorry, that's not a preposition.

Preposition,pre-position, reposition, missionarry position, deposition----Now we're getin' somewhere.

That's Riiiiiiight!

Lambano, lamballo, laballo, ballo, ball, throw, throw it out.

Yeah! Yeah! That's the ticket! THROW IT OUT!

That's Riiiiiiight!

Alas -- In my younger years, my right arm used to be a good throwing arm,

but these days -- I TROW NOT!

:doh: