GreaseSpot Cafe

fireworks

excathedra

fireworks are illegal here, but a lot of people get them

the police don't do anything - they just ride by and check on things

people on this one block have the most outrageous show ! it's crazy

they need a shovel to sweep the street in the morning

--

do you have neighborhood fireworks where you live ?

of course! I dont think that I have ever been anywhere where there werent illegal fireworks on the fourth of July.

We have the official fireworks and the secret ones that most people know about.

I rarely have any of my own (its been many years) but I just happened to be in a state last week that sold them, and since I have a combined 4th of july/birthday dealie and didnt know what to get them-I got a bunch in a few giant boxes marked "WARHEADS".

Im taking precautions and setting the whole shebang up with help from someone who has experience with a pyrotechnic company . It is dry here so Im doing them over a lake.

Don't worry it will all be safe or I wont do them, Its probably only about 20 minutes to a half hours worth

Im picking out music as I post

but shhhh-dont tell anyone

Edited by mstar1

fireworks are illegal here, but a lot of people get them

the police don't do anything - they just ride by and check on things

Ha Excie of course not they are too busy shaking down the joint for those cigarette thieves.

Fireworks inquisition is scheduled for next week. :biglaugh:

sorry to rain on your parade ex, but I think they should be illegal and taken away from idiots having some fun .

my house is on a street that backs up to another street very close yards and that guy shoots off fire works alot and i must get out my hose to water down my roof to be sure im not gonna die in my sleep from the fire it may cause.

pretty i think not .

i will be at camp tonite watching the boomers from the party boat! it is great BUT we have to get back to camp in the dark {11 miles} hope we don't get lost!

my oldest son {god he's a great kid!} and his family live outside of d.c.

i wonder if they are going to go in and watch them there, nah, he has better sense than that

traffic would be a nightmare!

We buy simple sparklers for the young kids in the neighborhood and the town does a huge event of fireworks tonight, an annual event.

We can see them really well from a neighbors garden, so we don't have to fight the crowd, very nice.

I love fireworks, but I'd prefer that they were set off by professionals, in a safe location. Especially during a severe drought like we've had this summer. Two houses in a town near Cleveland were already burned to the ground this week when some bottle rockets set the grass on fire, which quickly spread to the two homes.

My neighborhood's like pond's...lots of houses pretty close together. Some years the fireworks darn near rival the professional ones. Every year I find tons of spent fireworks trash in my yard and even see the stuff on my roof. I like people to have fun, but every year I pray the amateurs don't start a house fire.

Of course EmmaDog is a nervous wreck, as she is every year.

Rules for watching fireworks:

FIRST the Ohhh!'s-----THEN the Ahhh!'s

Our city canceled them this year due to budget cuts.

You would never know it if you looked outside at all the activity that obviously must be private.

Our population is something like 40 or 50 thousand.

The mayor said he received a total of 3 e-mails complaining of the decision.

A few years ago, we had a fatality at our professionally run show.(spectator)

My neighbor's son, who was about 14 or 15 at the time, was sitting right next to the victim when it happened.

He'll live with that image the rest of his life.

I'm conflicted on the matter.

On one hand the city saves 20 to 30 grand on the show.

On the other hand, it encourages the "clueless" to take matters into their own hands.

Personally, my reaction to fireworks is something along these lines:

"Yep, that's a red one alright."

"Uh huh, that sure was a loud one."

:sleep1:

Geez Louise. What a 4th.

My next-door neighbors were setting off HUGE fireworks (like you see at professional fireworks displays--no chit) in the street in front of their house. I have a very big, very dry maple tree right in front of my house, and when I saw all the hot embers falling from the sky through the tree branches, I got ....ed. If that tree had gone, my house would have been toast. So I went outside and told the neighbor, "I just wanted to see who was doing this, so I'd know who to sue if you set my house on fire." I'm sure he wasn't amused, but neither was I. They had two little boys running around with no shoes, running within 3 or 4 feet of where the "adults" were lighting the stuff. At one point I caught one of the kids just before he stepped on a big ember that had landed in my front yard.

After telling off the neighbor, I started back into my house, only to discover that the dogs had pushed the front door shut in their panic over the fireworks, and I was locked out. No shoes, no keys, no cell phone.

Thank God my neighbor on the other side was home and let me use his cell phone to call my sister to bring over my spare key. I could have asked the pyrotechnicians, but I have a hunch they wouldn't have been too happy to accommodate me. :)

When my sister and brother-in-law got here they were amazed by the size of the fireworks being shot off only about 12 feet from my house (we have tiny front yards on this street). She said they saw the fireworks from the freeway on their way over and thought they were watching the city's big display, until they got here and saw where they were coming from.

Poor Emmadog and Clevedog. Emma got so scared she pooped in the house. The two of them were beside themselves by the time I got inside.

Oh well, it's over for another year. Thank goodness.

Our tiny town, the heart of the state, has a very nice fireworks display. They have a 4 day festival in the little park, with bands, kiddie rides and fair food. Deep fried Cheesecake, anyone? They take up collections throughout the year to help fund this. The fireworks display Saturday night was amazing! It went on for over half an hour, huge beautiful fireworks. My son, his fiancee and our wonderful grandson accompanied us. Friday night my husband and I had gone to hear the Drifters, the town festival's star attraction this year!

Of course on the 3rd we watched Red, White and Boom! - on television in the safety and air conditioning of our sunroom! Half a million people in downtown Columbus is a guarantee of mischief, IMO.

No home grown fireworks in our area, though . Otherwise, I'd have fried green tomatoes in the back 2 acres, I'm afraid. It's way dry here, too.

WG

WG, that sounds so nice.

There were at least 15 different fireworks displays last night in suburbs around here, and an especailly large, spectacular display downtown in the Flats district that could be seen from many vantage points without having to fight the thick of the traffic. I don't know why people feel so compelled to put on their own shows. On the news they showed views of the city from a helicopter, and the reportrer commented on how many "back yard fireworks" there were this year. I think I saw my neighborhood. :)

I'm glad no one got hurt and no one lost a house!

Edited by Linda Z