GreaseSpot Cafe

spot survey

Here's a survey you can copy and paste into your reply with your own answers. Elaborate on your answers if you like. You can also come back and write a full explanation of your position for any particular item. (Heck, you can do whatever you like!)

T = true F = false U = unsure

Adam and Eve are historical figures, who lived 5000 - 7000 years ago. T/F/U

Jesus of Nazareth uniquely represented the Creator as His Son. T/F/U

The risen Jesus Christ is my Lord. T/F/U

The Book of Job is allegorical. That is, it attempts to explain human suffering using fictional characters. T/F/U

The disciple John, one of "the twelve", wrote 5 Books: John, 1John, 2John, 3John, and Revelation. T/F/U

Paul wrote Hebrews. T/F/U

Moses wrote Genesis. T/F/U

David wrote the 23rd Psalm. T/F/U

Paul's doctrine of "by faith alone" contradicts James' doctrine, as recorded in the Book of James. T/F/U

Four were crucified with Jesus. T/F/U

I speak in tongues in my private prayer life. T/F/U

God loves homosexuals. T/F/U

Homosexuality is not a sin. T/F/U

God does not hate. T/F/U

1 Cor. 12 says that all nine "manifestations" of the spirit are the privilege of everyone who has been "born again" by confessing Jesus as their lord, and believing God raised him from the dead. (When combined with Romans 10:9 and other scriptures.) T/F/U

The prayer of a believer can move God to do something He would not otherwise have done. T/F/U

Mormonism, Catholicism, and JW’s are perversions of Christianity. T/F/U

Some of Jesus’ teaching is impossible to carry out. T/F/U

"Sin consciousness" is not in the believer’s self-interest. T/F/U

The canon is closed. Another authentic letter of Paul will never surface. T/F/U

There are authentic apostles and prophets of God living and ministering today. T/F/U

Requiring narrative answers (short or long):

When Jesus told Nicodemus that he "must be born again," what did he mean?

What are your thoughts on the Fourth commandment (not to work on the sabbath)?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite a lengthy survey, Dan! I will poke at the questions and we will see where things go, I guess. :)

Here's a survey you can copy and paste into your reply with your own answers. Elaborate on your answers if you like. You can also come back and write a full explanation of your position for any particular item. (Heck, you can do whatever you like!)

I think they are representative of historical figures who lived at some point in time. Overall, I think the story of Adam and Eve is figurative.

I am not entirely sure what you are asking here. If you are asking do I believe Jesus is God, my answer is no.

No. Although I believe in much of what Jesus taught, I do not believe Jesus is my Lord as that would put him above God, IMO.

The Book of Job is allegorical. That is, it attempts to explain human suffering using fictional characters. T/F/U

Agreed. There may have been a man named Job. He may have undergone some or all of the suffering listed in Job. But overall, it is an allegorical story to explain human suffering.

The disciple John, one of "the twelve", wrote 5 Books: John, 1John, 2John, 3John, and Revelation. T/F/U

Unknown

Unknown

False. Scholars believe Genesis was most likely written by two different people at two different times.

Unknown

Paul's doctrine of "by faith alone" contradicts James' doctrine, as recorded in the Book of James. T/F/U

I think they could fit together, if one is not stuck in literal, black and white thinking. I think they are different levels of the same concept.

Unknown and not sure it really has any overall bearing on the story of Jesus anyway

No.

True. God loves everyone.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another and don't see that it matters much. We all sin. We are all imperfect. I am far more concerned about someone's heart and intent - if they desire to do good or to do harm.

God does not hate. T/F/U

True

1 Cor. 12 says that all nine "manifestations" of the spirit are the privilege of everyone who has been "born again" by confessing Jesus as their lord, and believing God raised him from the dead. (When combined with Romans 10:9 and other scriptures.) T/F/U

Unknown

The prayer of a believer can move God to do something He would not otherwise have done. T/F/U

Unknown, but leaning towards "I doubt it". I think prayer is more for the benefit of man than for God. God already knows are hearts and desires.

I would not call them perversions, no.

Unknown. You would have to give me specific examples for consideration before I could answer this.

What is your definition of "sin consciousness"?

While the cannon may be closed in the eyes of the churches, I am not certain it is closed in the eyes of God.

There are authentic apostles and prophets of God living and ministering today. T/F/U

How do you define apostles and prophets?

I think this has a lot to do with dedicating your life to God, as an adult, with a conscious decision regarding what you are doing. As children, we are raised to believe what are parents teach us. Somewhere along the line we rebell, we begin to question - or we continue to live our lives blindly following what our parents or other adults taught us. I think only after we have done our own work, our own searching out, can we truly make a decision to follow God.

I believe a day of rest is a necessary thing for man. It is a rest for our soul - a time for our family as well. Do I think it is "sin" to work on the sabbath? Define work and define sin. Shat is the reason for the work? etc. etc. In Judaism, there are a gazillion laws regarding what one can and cannot do. Some of those things that are forbidden are things I do not consider to be work, things I enjoy doing with my family, such as cooking. I think a day of rest helps us stay healthy mentally, emotionally and physically. However, it should not be held over someone's head and it should not be used as a tool toward condemnation if one does not "rest".

Edited by Abigail

Adam and Eve are historical figures, who lived 5000 - 7000 years ago. U

Jesus of Nazareth uniquely represented the Creator as His Son. F

The risen Jesus Christ is my Lord. U

The Book of Job is allegorical. That is, it attempts to explain human suffering using fictional characters. U

The disciple John, one of "the twelve", wrote 5 Books: John, 1John, 2John, 3John, and Revelation. Most certainly F

Paul wrote Hebrews. Most certainly F

Moses wrote Genesis. F

David wrote the 23rd Psalm. U

Paul's doctrine of "by faith alone" contradicts James' doctrine, as recorded in the Book of James. U though at one time I thought T.

Four were crucified with Jesus. U

I speak in tongues in my private prayer life. F

God loves homosexuals. F if the interpolations in Romans are to be believed.

Homosexuality is not a sin. U

God does not hate. T if "God is love".

1 Cor. 12 says that all nine "manifestations" of the spirit are the privilege of everyone who has been "born again" by confessing Jesus as their lord, and believing God raised him from the dead. (When combined with Romans 10:9 and other scriptures.) U

The prayer of a believer can move God to do something He would not otherwise have done. U

Mormonism, Catholicism, and JW’s are perversions of Christianity. U

Some of Jesus’ teaching is impossible to carry out. U.

"Sin consciousness" is not in the believer’s self-interest. F

The canon is closed. Another authentic letter of Paul will never surface. U

There are authentic apostles and prophets of God living and ministering today. U

I think everything suggested in the context concerning "Spirit", salvation and entering into the Kingdom.

Possibly with water baptism entailed as part of the process or initiation.

Haven't really given this much consideration, though I do enjoy having the weekends off from work to spend with my family.

I think that they were real or representations of the real thing. When? I don't know. Does it matter?

True, His Son.

True

I'm inclined to believe that this was an allegory. Perhaps there was once a man named Job that had some horrible stuff happen to him. But the point of the story is more important than the man.

Not certain on this...jury is still out.

Once again... the jury is still out.

I have to say "No" on this. There is just too many things that point to another conclusion.

Don't know. I like it regardless.

Don't think so. I think that their "doctrines" can be understood together if one took the time to really research it honestly.

Don't know and frankly don't care. It has no impact on my belief in Christ.

Sometimes, when the mood strikes me.

True. God so loved the "world". Not just certain people.

True. It is not.

God does not hate. T/F/U

True. God is love and in Him is no darkness at all.

True. But not necessarily all nine as TWI taught. Further examination of the chapter indicates that each person may operate any one or combination as they desire and have the ability and understanding to do so.

False. God already knows our hearts and He knows the future. So what you pray for is primarily for your individual blessing, not necessarily to get something done. Not that things don't happen when you pray. But God had already determined that it would happen. Bottom line our prayers do not dictate His actions.

Not at all. Different religions meet different needs in people. It is foolish to think that any one religion has the all truth.

False. We would not be admonished to walk as he walked if it could not be done. The question is are you up to the sacrifice that it takes?

Unsure. Like Abi, I am uncertain of what you want here.

Although I have a lot of respect for the early "Church Fathers" that compiled the canon and thankful that they bothered, I also think that they deliberately left stuff out. So despite the fact that they "closed" the canon does not in anyway indicate to me that there is nothing out there that could not added. If an authentic letter from one of the Apostles surfaced I would have no objection to adding it to the canon.

True. God's people are still in need of the gift ministries.

I'm not in a position right now to review that section of scripture. So I withold my comment until I can.

God took a day off from His labors. He set the example of how we should also look at work. More and more today I see news articles about people making a mess out of their emotional lives by never taking a vacation. Stress in America is at an all time high, so is prescription drug use for all manner of things caused by....stress. God took a day off, He ordered his people to take a day of rest. Regardless of whether or not a person believes in the OT or the Bible at all, it is still healthy to take a day of rest.

God first

Beloved

God loves us my dear friend

first welcome

its both true and false because Adam and Eve were created 01-06-4003 BC about but their bith did not come until 09-06-4003 BC about they are some what a story to teach but they were all so the first of all mankind because they were more than historical figures

in a way true but in another way False Jesus of Nazareth was the second Adam the creation of flesh with spiritual image from as a family of God's creations or of that which came from God to become like God but more like a son

again in a way true but in another way False Jesus was the fleshly man of God's creation while Christ is the new creation of Jesus after he put on a new kind of body making Christ a giver of life more like a female side the holy spirit the gift like a woman gives a gift of a child after the men does his part Jesus done his part dying now Christ is doing her part given us new life - more like to parts of one creation

again in a way true but in another way False parts of it is showing human suffering fictional like while other parts show a true person life story

again in a way true but in another way False all books were wrote by men and by God

I really do not worry who wrote what so U

again I really do not worry who wrote what so U but if he did it been in the Egyptians, tongue first than translated to Hebrew

again I really do not worry who wrote what so U

false and true because no doctrine is Paul's or James's all doctrine are only the doctrines of the person who is living them and Paul and James are no longer living fleshly

true and false because there were 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 then more as we become crucified with Jesus by making it true in our hearts

true and fasle because I all so dream in tonues in by sleep life like Joseph son of Jacob did

true because God loves all

true and false it a sin again natural and not a sin again God but more again the way God plan things to work -- sex was made to make children and nothing elst but we used it as a sport too

God does not hate. T/F/U

true God is love God does not destroy the evil the evil destroy themself

true and false because while they are a privilege they are all so a right, gift. comfort, and a lot more

true and false because it depends on the prayer

true and false because each group it depends on the person heart in the group because labels mean nothing

false I give holy kisses too

true and false it depends on the person at times I fight not to win other time I run to sin - take lust

false and true while Paul may not write any more books with God guiding us me and you today the bible or the word of God is no way finish

true - what if I said I was one?

a seed must be planted then a new birth can come from the seed planted in the dust of flesh to become a new creature like "this mortal must put on immortality." other wise this new creation must come out of this old creation -- birth comes after we die with Christ - breaking out of flesh like a plant breaks out from below the dirt to reach for the sun

part has a teaching of how to keep the spiritual part to rest in it sabbath mean seven to respect all that God gave you by being thankful so some what it a teaching to do a special day but its all so how to respect the gifts and keep them holy

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

True

True

True

False

True

Unsure

True

True

False

True

True

True

False

God does not hate. T/F/U

True

True

True

I am not sure what you mean by perversion. I don't think they believe the Bible accurately, but then I don't think I do 100% of the time either. Given the three choices, I would have to say True.

True, some of his teachings are impossible to carry out perfectly.

Godly sorrow is in the believer's self-interest; condemnation is not.

True

True

He meant that Nicodemus must be born of the spirit, or born from above.

I believe that it is in man's best interest to take one day out of every seven as a day of rest. I don't think that God cares which one it is. I also think that, as Christ said, the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath, and to take that guideline and set it in stone as unchangeable to the point of stupidity is not what God meant when He gave the commandments. He allowed for man to use common sense in the observing of the sabbath.

Btw, how do you add color to your posts? I'm not sure the questions and answers are clear in my post.

Edited by Jeaniam

Btw, how do you add color to your posts? I'm not sure the questions and answers are clear in my post.

Jean, on the top of the reply page you'll find a button with an "A" with an downward pointing arrow. Highlight your text and click on a color.

Edited by Larry N Moore

Another Dan ... This deserves more time than I have right now. Hopefully, I will get back to it soon. I love Roy's answers. Just proves that he really is a holy man. As an RN, I am supposed to document all the "measurable" things about my clients: centimeters and minutes and pounds and respirations. But how do you measure ... birth? How do you quantify spirit? Still, for certain purposes, measurements are essential. It's a fascinating survey, especially in light of our varying degrees of recovery from Way Brain. More later.

Hi all, and thank you for participating in the discussion. Like Shifra, unfortunately, I am pressed for time and will be leaving shortly for beautiful NJ for a few days and may not get back to my computer until I get back. As I mentioned in the Paul-ist thread, I've become less inclined to feel that it is my job to tell others what to believe. God knows how foolish I can be, and how wrong when I seem so certain. That being said, I yearn to be whole in every way, and having a soundness of mind is part of that. I had a lively discussion with Anthony Buzz@rd once about this, over lunch, and he countered, "but what about the scriptures that say to admonish... what about heresy...?" (Not an actual quote.. I didn't record him!) And certainly, there is a need for that, at times. But certainly, at least at this time in my life, I do not feel called to do that. I truly believe that others may do it in perfect comformity with the will of God.

Of course, I had the option to put my answers right up top, and frankly, I thought I might get some flack for not doing so, but I didn't... just a polite "what are your thoughts...." (thank you!) It's already evident that there are diverse opinions, and honestly, I do not want to discourage that. I just want to generate some healthy discussion about a few salient issues. There is a phrase in Ephesians, that we might "comprehend, with all the saints..." and at some point I began to believe that among us, the truth will indeed prevail, and understanding come. Surely, the survey is not comprehensive, and it includes some "pet" personal issues. James and Paul, for example, I believe are in complete harmony, as far as their letters go. At the council in Acts 15, there was some genuine debate, but the NT writings agree, in my opinion. They at least can be seen as harmonious. The Sabbath is also a pet issue. I began to look further at it a couple of years ago, and found it strange that every OTHER of the Ten seems to be almost universally acknowledged by Christians as the will of God, and yet that one (which is actually a delightful "commandment" -- to REST!) seems to be marginalized. Of course, the discussion will have to be made as to whether we as Christians (or otherwise?) are "commanded" to rest. Some take the view that like the food laws, God knew what was best for man, and therefore we should both heed the dietary commandments as well as observe shabbat.

I'm here to learn and appreciate, and look forward to others chiming in.

BTW, I think homosexuality is a sin, that God loves homosexuals, and that Moses did not write Genesis! (it records his death!)

Edited by anotherDan

Adam and Eve are historical figures, who lived 5000 - 7000 years ago. F

Jesus of Nazareth uniquely represented the Creator as His Son. F

The risen Jesus Christ is my Lord. F

The Book of Job is allegorical. That is, it attempts to explain human suffering using fictional characters. T

The disciple John, one of "the twelve", wrote 5 Books: John, 1John, 2John, 3John, and Revelation. U

Paul wrote Hebrews. U

Moses wrote Genesis. F

David wrote the 23rd Psalm. U

Paul's doctrine of "by faith alone" contradicts James' doctrine, as recorded in the Book of James. It sures seems to

Four were crucified with Jesus. Well, being as I'm not too sure there even was a "Jesus of Nazareth" I'm pretty ambivalent on this one.

I speak in tongues in my private prayer life. F

God loves homosexuals. I'm not real sure there is a God, so again, pretty ambivalent...

Homosexuality is not a sin. T, well I guess I should know how you define "sin" first

God does not hate. See above

1 Cor. 12 says that all nine "manifestations" of the spirit are the privilege of everyone who has been "born again" by confessing Jesus as their lord, and believing God raised him from the dead. (When combined with Romans 10:9 and other scriptures.) U

The prayer of a believer can move God to do something He would not otherwise have done. Sure doesn't seem like it.

Mormonism, Catholicism, and JW’s are perversions of Christianity. How about just "perversions" just LIKE Christianity?

Some of Jesus’ teaching is impossible to carry out. U

"Sin consciousness" is not in the believer’s self-interest. U

The canon is closed. Another authentic letter of Paul will never surface. If you say so.

There are authentic apostles and prophets of God living and ministering today. F

And for the essay questions:

Uh, what did Jesus mean? I dunno, what did Spiderman mean when He said something?

And working on the Sabbath? I take that about as seriously as I do the admonition to abstain from Lobster or Catfish, that is, not at all. I do appreciate a day off now and then though, thank you very much...

O.K., I finished the form, do I get the loan?

Adam and Eve are historical figures, who lived 5000 - 7000 years ago. - F

Jesus of Nazareth uniquely represented the Creator as His Son. - F

The risen Jesus Christ is my Lord. - Nope

The Book of Job is allegorical. That is, it attempts to explain human suffering using fictional characters. - U

The disciple John, one of "the twelve", wrote 5 Books: John, 1John, 2John, 3John, and Revelation. - F. None of the 4 gospel 'authors' were the actual authors of their respective books.

Paul wrote Hebrews. - U

Moses wrote Genesis. - F. What Abigail said

David wrote the 23rd Psalm. - U

Paul's doctrine of "by faith alone" contradicts James' doctrine, as recorded in the Book of James. - T, altho' it can be interpreted differently in that respect.

Four were crucified with Jesus. - U, and irrelevent.

I speak in tongues in my private prayer life. - F

God loves homosexuals. - T, ... if this God was real and as loving as He is claimed to be.

Homosexuality is not a sin. - T

God does not hate. - T, ... see reason given in the hating homosexual category.

1 Cor. 12 says that all nine "manifestations" of the spirit are the privilege of everyone who has been "born again" by confessing Jesus as their lord, and believing God raised him from the dead. (When combined with Romans 10:9 and other scriptures.) - F

The prayer of a believer can move God to do something He would not otherwise have done. - F

Mormonism, Catholicism, and JW’s are perversions of Christianity. - F Like Abi said, they are not perversions. They are different versions. Update: Altho' I'm kinda partial to what George Aar said thusly:"How about just "perversions" just LIKE Christianity?" :biglaugh:

Some of Jesus’ teaching is impossible to carry out. - T

"Sin consciousness" is not in the believer’s self-interest. - T

The canon is closed. Another authentic letter of Paul will never surface. - U Depends on if someone else wants to 'discover' another treatise of Paul. Heck, Smikeol came up with PFAL as being a total replacement for the whole Bible! ;)

There are authentic apostles and prophets of God living and ministering today. - F

When Jesus told Nicodemus that he "must be born again," what did he mean? He was probably talking about some spiritual rebirth of some kind, altho' that can be taken to be any kind of religious experience, ... often involving sending some $$$$ to a televangelist.

What are your thoughts on the Fourth commandment (not to work on the sabbath)? "Thou shalt sleep in on Sunday, or watch stupid Saturday morning cartoons on Saturday." :dance:

So what score did I get? Do I get extra credit for the summary questions? ... Huh? Huh? :jump:

Edited by GarthP2000

So what score did I get? Do I get extra credit for the summary questions? ... Huh? Huh?

If I knew there was some reward for answering the questions I probably would have answered them. I suppose the ole saying -- "You get what you pay for." has some validity to it after-all Garth. You didn't pay for anything so, don't be surprised if nothing is what you get. ;)

U

T (one of His Sons)

T ... but mostly because he’s the “Lord” I know best.

U

T

T

T ... and I think Moses learned about the Tree of Life from the midwives who delivered him. Long story.

T

F - Paul taught “faith alone” and in the same breath dictated endless rules and regs. James did the same thing. Both were very religious.

Who cares.

T ... but not on purpose. It’s just a leftover habit, auto-pilot, probably harmless, but not necessary.

T - God loves all of us.

U ... but I don’t need the answer to this question, because I am heterosexual. If I had the answer, its only purpose in my life would be to categorize others.

God does not hate. T/F/U

T

T ... but manifestations of the spirit are available to others as well.

F

F - ALL religions are perversions of Christianity. We can’t help it.

F

T - This is/was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil

U

T

He was telling Nicodemus to start from scratch. When a baby takes his first breath, there’s a flap that closes within the circulatory system, and causes the blood to flow in the opposite direction that it was flowing prior to birth. Talk about a “change of heart”!!! Erasing all the junk and beginning again in purity and without prejudices or bias - learning everything as though we knew nothing: this is being Born Again.

Very very important. The specific day may not matter, but the rhythm of seven days is a minimum for restorative health - mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually. Our “Christian” work ethic has over-ridden this essential tradition.

Edited by Shifra

Shifra wrote:

He was telling Nicodemus to start from scratch. When a baby takes his first breath, there’s a flap that closes within the circulatory system, and causes the blood to flow in the opposite direction that it was flowing prior to birth. Talk about a “change of heart”!!! Erasing all the junk and beginning again in purity and without prejudices or bias - learning everything as though we knew nothing: this is being Born Again.

:eusa_clap:

I just spent about 9 hours reading another thread, and I've neglected one that I've started! Thank you, all for your responses, and I hope you'll forgive me for the short visit. I'd like to respond to more of your answers, but just don't have it in me now, and my lawn is WAY overdue for a mowing! I really loved your answer, Shifra, to the Nicodemas question. Nic was a Pharisee, and if he was going to get his eyes opened, here was his opportunity. But it wasn't going to happen if he wasn't willing to start over. And what about his answer? "Can a man enter in to his mother's womb and be born again?" Maybe he wasn't as dumb as I used to think. Maybe he was responding rabbi-to-rabbi, and knew exactly what Jesus was requiring of him, and telling him in the same language that he could not!

Abigail, I just reread your answers and they were all thoughtful and interesting. I'm glad to be getting to know you more. You asked two questions about what I meant by "sin conscious" and "apostles and prophets." Well, the idea of "sin consciousness" being bad for the Christian was a common theme in TWM... the verse comes to mind in Hebrews about having our consciences purged from sin, and of course, the oft-preached Romans 8:1. My question was intended to provide opportunity for others to either affirm that belief or state how they have changed their thinking. My thinking has definitely changed, though I used to believe the party line. Now, I think it's quite beneficial for the believer to be "sin conscious." My goodness... if I sin, (and I will!) I want to be conscious of it! The problems that led to the demise of TWI are precisely that some leaders were sin "UNconscious"! And that, I contend, is a bad place to be..... "with a hot iron"

As far as apostles and prophets go, I wouldn't presume to define the terms. That is, I meant for people to be able to express whether they believed either prophets or apostles (mentioned in the New Testament, and defined by the way they are used there) are among us today. In other words, Paul called himself an apostle of Jesus Christ. Are there apostles today? That's what I meant. As for me, I cannot be sure, but I think it is possible. Roy's answer was interesting, wasn't it? "what if I said I was one?" To that, Roy, in another life, I would ask you to provide the proof of your apostleship, as Paul did, but I'm not as argumentative as I once was. Your other answers were interesting, too... just can't comment on them now, but I'll get to it! Lots of "true, but false" answers!

Abi-dear, your answer to the is-Jesus-lord question is consistent with all the other posts I've read from you. Would you then say that God is your Lord? The God of Abraham, and the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ?

Your answer regarding the sabbath was a blessing, too. I agree that strict conformity in the Jewish manner is not wise. It flies in the face of Jesus' teaching and example, for one. This was one area that again and again, he demonstrated or taught that there is something amiss with that kind of practice, much as the sacrifices of Israel become a stink in God's nostrils. Liz and I "practiced" for some months last year, setting Friday sunset to Saturday sunset as a time of rest... trying to stay just to that basic. I even set up the fireplace with wood ahead of time (it was winter) but I didn't have any qualms about kindling it on Saturday morning. I did a lot of reading on the subject (Jewish and otherwise) and we came to enjoy our prayers and shabbat meals on Friday evening.... sometimes our family or friends would join us. We did not tell too many people we were doing this! I'd like to still be doing it, but I have a lot of responsibilities, and on top of that, I have a little boat I'm fixing up (actually, I'm NOT fixing it up... it just sits there waiting for me to get back to it!). But that condemns me right there. This is not one of the Ten Suggestions!

I found myself using a Jesus-provided excuse for working on the sabbath... if there were any "little lambs" who had fallen into a ditch, I'd do what I could for them... (i.e. single mothers who needed their gardens tilled!)

Edited by anotherDan

InvisibleDan, I enjoyed your answers as well, especially the narrative ones. Thank you!

EyesOpen, I'm glad your eyes are open. Though we disagree about a couple of the items, I've come to enjoy reading all of your posts that I come across. You're honest and sometimes very clever (Did David write Psalm 23? You don't know, but you like it regardless!). Your take on the sabbath was particularly appreciated.

Roy, I just reread your answers, and frankly do not know how to respond to them. I have this (right brain? I don't know those terms well enought) clear logic type of brain that has gotten me into trouble, and you have a lot more fluidity in your thinking and syntax. To me, you also seem a little squirrely with the true-and-also-false answers, but honestly, I'm learning that sometimes I just don't get things, even if they are right! A prime example is my marriage of almost 30 years. It took me a LONG time to recognise that Liz's "feelings" were a lot more right-on than some of my "thoughts." I do appreciate the good wishes and the holy kiss.

Jean, your straightforward answers are easy to grasp for me. Thanks for chiming in. Here's one example:

"Mormonism, Catholicism, and JW’s are perversions of Christianity. T/F/U

I am not sure what you mean by perversion. I don't think they believe the Bible accurately, but then I don't think I do 100% of the time either. Given the three choices, I would have to say True."

My own view is that the basic answer to the question is True. I would certainly say that about TWI as well, during any part of its history, though the later years were progressively more perverted, IMO. And that begs the question, what should we do today? Give up? Try to reform our churches? Are there denominations or non-denom churches or "splinter groups" that we should support, as imperfect as they may be? I say Yes to reform and cooperation and support, as much as is in us.

For Liz and myself, we have chosen to hang with some folks that are reforming themselves the best they can. We also have enjoyed the company and fellowship of many different stripes of believers in traditional churches, and even Quaker meetinghouses. IMO, Mormonism, Catholicism, and JWs (I could list more.... SDAs, for example) are just not going to be groups that Liz and I could help much, or be helped by. There is much more fertile ground elsewhere, although Catholics often could care less what their official denomination proclaims as doctrine. I should say here that many Catholic believers and scholars have had a very profound influence on my thinking in my later years. Pascal, for example. Also, before the Reformation, there were virtually no others that could be called believers other than RCs and the Eastern Church. But their history is riddled with plenty of "bathwater" that needs to be thrown out. The Vatican Council in the 1960s was really an amazing event, and IMO a huge step forward for the Catholic Church. Too bad it didn't "take" fully. Maybe there's still time.

George, would I be wrong assuming you were a "Way believer" at one time? With over 5000 posts, I would think so, but I do know there are post-ers here who were not. And now you're not sure if there even is a God, much less Jesus Christ. I can't blame you; I'm tempted to doubt that myself at times. Thank you for sharing your perspective. But it's painfull to someone like me.

Your attempt at humor worked with me. But sorry, no loan.

I have no doctrinal 'stance' as to the proposed questions.

I have learned that if I stop at a belief. Then growth has stopped in that particular belief.

The fundamentals are simple enough, Love God, Love your neighbor as yourself.

One can never escape these two, nor will they be denied in a person's life.

Cause wherever you are, that is going to be the case in truth.

Realized or not.

It's not a doctrine as in unchanging but in growth.

As soon as one sees where they are and where they have been,

progress is already made and passed the point that they were.

Doctrines are binding, limited stop signs in thought process.

If Jesus is Lord then do we know what this lordship is?

There are many lords and kings of which it says he is king of.

And who is this God that cannot be seen by man.

So this 'man' must 'die' to see God.

A process, not just 'bang' your dead.

Every end is a beginning, every beginning has an end.

Garth, are you Garth Patterson? (You can PM me if you like). Anyway, again, you seem to be one of the disillusioned ones (a great term that set me up for a snappy reply! --- you're no longer "illusioned"? Beat you to it.) But you're hangin'-in, and moving on. God bless you, if He exists. Yes, you get extra credit for the narrative questions.

:huh:

O.K., I finished the form, do I get the loan?

I dunno George, but if you ask questions like that they may give you the boobie prize..

:biglaugh:

as far as the survey goes.. can I give it a blanket "I dunno"?

I honestly think "truth" is about as fragmented as our collective consciousness..

:)

God first

Beloved Shifra and anotherDan

God loves us my dear friend

Shifra - thanks what your words bless my heart thanks - your a holy lady

anotherDan - yes my answers are not black and white because I am pass the wayish thinking or just one right answer

anotherDan - I have a right brain and a left brain and a outer brain and a inner brain

anotherDan - are you saying you think I am not stable because I see it not as a yes and no question?

anotherDan - I will answer any question because I do not all ways write in perfect sentences

anotherDan - yes I might seem a little squirrely because I think way outside the box of what most people call truth

anotherDan - I glad you understand a holy kiss is a good thing

anotherDan - do not worry not all people understand everything I write I do better when I write in word perfect first but this was a reply to your questions

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy