GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way Credit Union

coupcake

I know it's been around for quite a while. Folks on staff, I believe, are required to use direct deposit into the credit union for their paychecks. Some corps alum still used it as their primary bank account down here in Florida years ago. I thought that was going a wee bit overboard in the ole loyalty to TWI lifestyle. <_<

Not sure who you are referring to M.r squirrel, who used to run it?

I know every year they have a vote of who will be on the board for the Credit Union and "run" it, course you have to be in TWI to be acknowledged and it's always seemed like just a show to appease the credit union laws..

I was required to open an account when I was on staff. Didn't think it was a great thing at all, cause they don't have check cards which my other bank gave for free and who likes carrying cash with you. They charged me for stupid things like money orders and traveler cheques which my other bank never charged me.

BUT, Personally I still have an account there.. Not sure why anymore. But say 4 or 5 years ago after the big dot com bubble and dividends at banks were well below 2% a year, the Way Credit Union still managed to give out 4% + along with a yearly extra bonus (almost made it close to 6%!!) ... Yeah, it really paid to keep your money there at the time compared to a regular bank or other Credit Union..

But now.. No benefit at all.. And actually their dividends SUCK!! Course, maybe they changed things the last couple years and only give good dividends to TWIt memebers. Anyways, for me it's just a matter of diversity or maybe just pure laziness.. Money here, money there, I don' thave time to move it elsewhere.. Same thing with certain stocks... Just don't have time to move it somewhere else for now..

Oh well!

yes, the credit union was definitely in play when we built the auditorium. So '83 or '84 it was certainly up and running.

Definitely, by '83..............could have been around in '82.

I was on hq staff at this time and knew of several who had gotten home mortgage loans thru The Way Credit Union. Yes, there was a time when twi encouraged staff homeownership. I suppose it didn't take long before it dawned on the corps director that this would really be a spoiler to corps assignment changes -- every 3 to 5 years.

:biglaugh:

Edited by skyrider

WARNING!!

Kinda off topic

Remember when they sold novelty, "promises of God" checkbooks in the bookstore?

They were pre-signed by "God" and you filled in the rest.

Guess that was supposed to help your "believing" or something.

(Or, maybe it was just more merchandise to market. <_< )

Man, I must be getting old if I remember stuff from that long ago!

When they threw me out, a year or so later the Credit Union threw my money out. I asked them to transfer it to my then spiritual partner (had supported me in rez and now in rez himself) and they refused to transfer it and demanded I withdraw the balance.

Imagine that, huh, they simply didn't want my money.

Gee Twinky, that must have been in the days when they still had loads of $$$ coming in. Today, I don't think they could afford to.

Belle, you mean staff actually got paid enough to warrant direct deposit. I guess that was before lcm put staff on a need basis payroll. It just sounds kind of funny, knowing the way the bod handled a lot of things at HQ. :dance: