GreaseSpot Cafe

The 80/20 Rule

Imagine

I remember hearing about the 80/20 rule at The Way.

It went like this...

If you can agree with 80 % of what is taught, don't be concerned about the other 20% that you don't agree with.

I remember that this statement was attributed to Mrs. Wierwille, but I don't know for sure.

I can tell you that statement keep me there for a long time because I never agreed with the initial class 100% or 100 % with the teachings I heard for the next 25 years.

I always questioned what was taught, but I didn't think the error was bad enough to quit.

Until I got kicked out, that is.

Then I learned what I should have known all along.

Oh Lord, one more thing TWI screwed up.

This is a well know rule in business, generally attributed to the business management thinker Joseph M. Juran.

"The 80/20 rule states that, for many events, 80% of the effects comes from 20% of the causes." (Wikipedia)

Here's how it works:

If a system is left unattended:

20% of your employees do 80% of the work

20% of your investments bring you 80% of your return

20% of your sales force bring in 80% of the sales.

And so on, and so on....

I remember hearing about the 80/20 rule at The Way.

It went like this...

If you can agree with 80 % of what is taught, don't be concerned about the other 20% that you don't agree with.

I remember that this statement was attributed to Mrs. Wierwille, but I don't know for sure.

I can tell you that statement keep me there for a long time because I never agreed with the initial class 100% or 100 % with the teachings I heard for the next 25 years.

I always questioned what was taught, but I didn't think the error was bad enough to quit.

Until I got kicked out, that is.

Then I learned what I should have known all along.

Sorry, can't say that I remember that. Maybe that came later?

The TWI that I worked for wanted 100%.

And when it came to something "you don't agree with" we were drilled to focus instead on what we did agree with.

wing

I heard H*ward All3n complain that 80% of the ABS came from 20% of the believers.

Perhaps 20% of corps theses ended up producing 80% of the research.

Ya think that 20% of a bottle of Drambuie caused 80% of the problems?

It is the Pareto principle or Pareto distribution derived from the Italian economist and philosopher, Vilfredo Pareto who made the observation in 1906 that 20 percent of the Italian population owned 80 percent of the property in Italy. It has become a common rule-of-thumb in business and is also known as the '80-20 rule', the 'law of the vital few' and the 'principle of factor sparsity'. In computer science it is applied to optimization methods. The term started to be banter around 1980 when people with Masters of Business Administration (MBA) degrees were employed on TWI staff and communicated to TWI leadership. As a result, some HDQ departments were renamed using MBA nomenclature, e.g. Data Processing department became Managment Information Services (MIS), and various business management styles were introduced eventually, IMO, replacing the pastoral model of leadership exhibited by Dr. Wierwille. By the time of his death, this MBA leadership model was pervasive throughout the ministry on how people were treated and programs were implemented.

Edited by So_Cal1

Adam and Eve had a lot more than 80% correct and look where it got them!!!!

It is a sad thing to me that the 80-20 rule was reported as the norm. Turns out that the copped out run the show. How sad that they were the same ones who felt o.k. accusing so many of being copped out.

Jesus Christ did not say, "80% of my words shall not perish."

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

(edited once again for clarity. not uncommon for me)

Edited by JeffSjo

I don't remember 80/20. I remember 100%; and if you had a hard time understanding a portion, you were told to "hold in in abeyance" until you did. I never saw a marginal line of understanding in TWI. Try making one subject, say the trinity, as questionable. They would hammer anyone who questioned their doctrine on the Trinity.

20% of VPW's teachings were inspired by 80% of what he plagiarized.

20% of VPW's lies revealed 80% of the truth.

80% of the bad times I had in TWI seem to have been wiped out by 20% of the good times.

80% of LCM's rants were enjoyed by 20% of the people.

20% of the so called "Homosexuals" purged by LCM made up 80% of the 20% that gave 80% of the ABS.

I suspect 20% of those that read this reply will reply to my reply while 80% will not.

Seth

The version I have heard is 20% of the peole do 80% of the work in the church, while the other 80% sit on their butts complaing about "change" as though it were a cuss word.

In my last post on this thread I called leadership "copped out" Because of the 80-20 rule. I'd like to clarify that statement.

I think that if a person had 80% of God's Word correct and had a clear conscience that God's grace and mercy would cover that situation easily.

But the problem is that when leadership has to tell folks that only 80% of what they are about to learn is good it means that by their own admission they are settling for serving 20% garbage. I cannot see how God will reward them for such a copped out stand.

I think that 10% correct with a clear conscience is better than an 80% compromise.

Before I left, Rosalie Rivenbark tried to talk me into staying after I explained to her some of their idiotic doctrines that weren't Biblically based, only to have her comment, "Well, we have at least 80% truth, isn't that worth staying for?!"..

Needless to say, I left and am all the happier for it!

A probable 80% truth isn't worth 100% of your life serving any human ran business when it ought to be 100% of life serving God not man!

Edited by TrustAndObey

Thank you TrustAndObey for that. I always like hearing bits of how TWI is doind nowadays as my direct experience with them ended during the 1980's.

My life experience with human nature leads me to think that if someone's own assessment of themself is that they are "80% correct" that it is very likely that they have far less than "80% correct".

What I believe to be true for all of us is that the Lord will have the final say on this issue and compared to that, our own assessments of ourselves are at best an indicator of the state of our conscience.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by JeffSjo