GreaseSpot Cafe

So anyone who wants to can see

Rocky

A friend asked me to post this here so all who desired to do so may view it.

First is the slideshow, the subject of which stirred up a controversy in this forum mostly because the link posted was not accessible to everyone who wanted to view it.

It is a walk down memory lane for many, but some of the photos will not evoke happier emotions, though others of the photos will for many.

6th corps slideshow - Emporia (on youtube)

Then there is an explanation, from the owner of the WC site, of his reasons. Take the explanation or leave it, but it sums up the motivations and parameters as and for how he set up the site.

Richeson.org -- explanation of the WC site

Then talk amongst yourselves as you wish.

I do not post this to rub anything in or on anyone, but rather just to make the information available to all who wish to view it.

ha i'm with you jen-o

--

i didn't know the WAY college of emporia was founded in 1882

ernst and emma wierwille library.... uncle harry hall.... ppphhhtttt

wonder how much it cost them to take that cross off the chapel

that reflections stuff cracked me up at the end

ha i'm with you jen-o

--

i didn't know the WAY college of emporia was founded in 1882

ernst and emma wierwille library.... uncle harry hall.... ppphhhtttt

wonder how much it cost them to take that cross off the chapel

Probably less than ,the for the church that is there now to put one back on.....

post-193-1211660360_thumb.jpg

Speaking of the Way College of Emporia, found this for a quarter at my recent postcard collectors' show and thought I'd get it to post here. It was a cool building.

Didn't it have glass floors upstairs, or am I thinking of the theology library in Ft. Wayne where we worked on our research papers?

Thanks Rocky, I dont know about warm fuzzies but it did bring back some fond memories of good friends.

Thanks Rocky, I dont know about warm fuzzies but it did bring back some fond memories of good friends.

A hearty You're Welcome to all... it was my pleasure.

even though (and I realize) not all emotions the images evoke will be the good kind of emotions...

It was a cool building. Didn't it have glass floors upstairs, or am I thinking of the theology library in Ft. Wayne where we worked on our research papers?

It still is a cool building. And yes, it had glass floors up top. Made me uncomfortable to stand on them...

As a designated historical site I think it is protected from too much change. It's current custodian is Emporia State although I heard a few years ago they were concerned at how much money it was costing them to maintain it and were hoping to find some other organization who would take it over. According to this recent article, they are definitely looking to be rid of it: http://www.emporiagazette.com/news/2007/de...brary_building/

This page from Emporia State's website gives a good overview of how the old Collge of Emporia grounds have been broken up and are being used: http://www.emporia.edu/esu/esumap/westcamp.htm

You can read about the rennovation work done in the twi days here: http://skyways.lib.ks.us/carnegie/updates/esu.html

Of course, you need to subsitute the term "The Way staff" with "way corps slave labor"...

(edited for typos)

Edited by TheHighWay

Thanks, TheHighway. Interesting history. And I'm glad you confirmed that there were glass floors. I was only at Emporia twice, and my memory was fuzzy. I remember being a little nervous walking on those glass floors, too...just couldn't remember for sure where they were. :)

Regardless of the fact that the labor was provided to twi, I think those who worked so hard to restore Anderson Library can be really proud that they saved a beautiful old building.

That picture above is from after my time I guess ... I'm thinking the glass is probably just in that center part behind the (new?) rails. I think I cleaned the outside windows once ... I don't remember walking on a glass floor. Actually, I don't remember a glass floor in the middle either, but it may well have been there.

Edited by rhino

This website is actually about the Emporia public library but references Anderson's glass floor:

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/library/emporia/A...raryhistory.htm

But as fondly as she [Miss Nora Daniel, the librarian] is remembered, so is the Carnegie building where she worked. Although the building holds different memories for different people, the glass floor seems to have provided the most fascination. Trevor Lewis said, "We got up there on that old library stacks where you walked up the stairs and on that old glass floor and I still couldn't believe it. The thing that stood out in my mind as the greatest thing I thought since the invention of the wheel was to go up and walk on glass. When someone first came up and told me that, I said there's no way you can walk on glass. They said come down to the library and we'll show you."

And this quote is from Emporia State's page about the library:

The rear wing, stack area, features an opaque glass floor on its second level, and steel slatted window covers raised and lowered by chains and pulleys which reflected state-of-the-art fireproofing.

i can't remember cleaning any glass floor

glass floors are better than glass ceilings ...

weren't you one of the elite excie ... so you didn't do no steenkin cleaning :biglaugh:

Actaully I read the glass floor was renovated, maybe it was covered or gone when we were there ...

I seem to remember that the glass floor in the center was covered with plywood to protect it or some such thing...

...if you didn't know it was there, you didn't know it was there... :rolleyes:

It was a very kewl building...I recall when the bod dedicated it...VP was there, others...on the front steps...a big ceremony...when a townie drove through and starting honking his horn with some guy hanging his bare arse out the car window...

...I thought that I would die laughing...you really had to have seen this with your own eyes...Vic's jaw dropped, Dorothy was aghast, the others were in shock...some young corps guys chased the car with righteous anger...me?, I hid behind the bushes so nobody would see me laughing.

Jonny Lingo witnessed this also...but I guess he's taken a hiatus for awhile...

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

The 9th Corps was there one of the times I went to Emporia, when we stopped for a couple days on our way to Gunnison for our graduating Corps week or whatever it was called. I don't remember if that was the time I was upstairs in the library and saw the glass floor. It might have been when I was there for the AC in '77. All I know is I saw the glass floor and remember being kinda freaked out, wondering how a glass floor could be safe to walk on.

a townie drove through and starting honking his horn with some guy hanging his bare arse out the car window...

Please choose the explanation that most closely describes the cause of this incident

a. The adversary caused it because The Word was really moving and the believers were red hot.

b. The adversary was able to cause it because The Word was not moving and the believers were lukewarm.

c. The guy in the car was a prophet who foresaw the day when he would model for this Emoticon--- :mooner:

d. This was the direct manifestation of a disgruntled ex-TWI's believing to "stick it to da man-o-gawd".

e. Some townies were out cruisin' and just decided to have some fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no right or wrong answer.

You will be notified soon if you are a successful candidate for the advertised position.

Thank you for expressing an interest in The Waste International, Inc.