GreaseSpot Cafe

Songs that make you cry

RottieGrrrl

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a pop tune, but the second verse of "How Great Thou Art" always gets me. I usually can't even sing it.

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing,

Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in.

Upon the cross, our burden gladly bearing,

He bled and died, to take away my sin.

George

I wish that I knew the name of this Willie Nelson song.

It was about about a hobo and his pregnant girlfriend. They were despised by folks, and in the end the girlfriend died. I think that it was considered too strong a song for the radio in general, even though I heard it play once.

(edited for spelling)

This didn't make me cry, but the first time I heard "Earl's Gotta Die" it kicked me in the gut like a Missouri mule.

Edited by JeffSjo

For You Yanagisawa,Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings, op.11

I wish that I knew the name of this Willie Nelson song.It was about about a hobo and his pregnant girlfriend. They were despised by folks, and in the end the girlfriend died. I think that it was considered too strong a song for the radio in general, even though I heard it play once.(edited for spelling)This didn't make me cry, but the first time I heard "Earl's Gotta Die" it kicked me in the gut like a Missouri mule.
Sorry Jeff,I can't find this one :( ...hum a few bars Hey!

That song Shannon, about the dog dying. Henry Gross? "

"Shannon, is gone I heard

She's drifting out to sea

She always loved to swim away

Maybe she'll find an island with a shaded tree

Just like the one in our backyard"

I remember about 10 years ago I was working at a job and this song came on the radio and I told the two women in the office if they don't change this station I was going to start crying. They looked at me like yeah right. Well about the first 30 seconds I burst out crying. They looked at me so shocked that I started laughing. Then crying. Then laughing because of the way they were looking at me. Then crying... and so on.

One of them finally handed me a tissue while the other one changed the station quick.

The other song that ALWAYS gets me is the ASPCA commercial with Sarah McLachlan "Arms Of An Angel" with her haunting voice and all those sad dogs looking at the camera. Oh MAN! I couldn't take it, I called up and was in tears joining the ASPCA. That was almost a year ago and I STILL cry when that commercial comes on. I try to change it, but I tell you, that commercial does it's job! :(

Oh Wow. You and I have so much in common. Pass the tissues........

I wish that I knew the name of this Willie Nelson song.

It was about about a hobo and his pregnant girlfriend. They were despised by folks, and in the end the girlfriend died. I think that it was considered too strong a song for the radio in general, even though I heard it play once.

(snip)

If you can remember any of the lyrics, even PART of a line, I might be able to find it.

But you have to give me SOMETHING to work with.

===========

BTW, folks?

Those of you who don't post titles or anything, but just the hotlinks?

Those of us with Javascript off, all we see in your post is a white box.

Can you at least tell us what we're missing?

I don't really cry, but there are a few songs that make me want to cry I suppose. The first one to come to mind, for some reason, is "Lightning Crashes" by Live. It's not a particularly sad song, but it really brings across the belief in reincarnation and for some reason even though I don't believe in it, I feel like I understand the concept in the way that those that do believe in it do. Something about the mom dying, then her "spirit" being put into a baby just being born and the eyes being the same color as the woman who died seems powerful to think about. I don't know why.

Another is "Across the Universe" by The Beatles. It's not a sad song by any stretch of the imagination, but for some reason I heard it after my wife's miscarriage and it got to me. It's also difficult to explain. You would think something like Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" would have done more, but that song doesn't affect me.

The final one I can think of is Johnny Cash's rendition of "We'll Meet Again", because he was really old when he recorded it, and it may have been on his final CD (I forget which one was his last). That song makes me wish I knew how to play the guitar so I could record that now that I'm fairly young, and give it to my kid(s) when I've passed away so they can remember me in the peak of my health and happier times. Now, I know I'm atheist and don't really believe that I will ever live again, but I know the thought gives comfort to many people, and since my wife is Christian and she will raise our children that way, it would be something helpful for them.

For You Oakspear,Connie Francis - Beautiful Ohio For You Mr. Mosh Posh,Live Lightning Crashes The Beatles - Across The Universe (Anthology version) Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven - Johnny Cash - We'll Meet Again