GreaseSpot Cafe

De-stressing Ideas, anyone???

Cindy!

I need some ideas on some activities that can help a person with stress.

I have a new job that is going to require that I find some outlets.....I LOVE to read....but with being in a masters degree program, my reading time is usually delegated to assignments from classes (though I DID get some trashy reading in this summer while off from work and school!)

What I need is something I can do to help with stress while I am working full time, going to school full time, and having a husband and kids full time.

I LOVE to cook...in fact my kids and I have an ongoing challenge of finding recipes for each other that we don't think the other person can do.....and then doing it! However, I need a few other de-stressors for my new current job.

Any suggestions?????

Antique shops. Usually a buncha junk there, but more often than not:

Whenever I go --- I generally find at least one thing that gives me pause,

to contemplate what I'm holding, along with my own past.

Not sure if that will be a stress reliever for you or not --- However:

I find that contemplating on the (positive) past is therapeutic.

Bringing back fond memories.

Just my imo. :)

I need some ideas on some activities that can help a person with stress.

I have a new job that is going to require that I find some outlets.....I LOVE to read....but with being in a masters degree program, my reading time is usually delegated to assignments from classes (though I DID get some trashy reading in this summer while off from work and school!)

What I need is something I can do to help with stress while I am working full time, going to school full time, and having a husband and kids full time.

I LOVE to cook...in fact my kids and I have an ongoing challenge of finding recipes for each other that we don't think the other person can do.....and then doing it! However, I need a few other de-stressors for my new current job.

Any suggestions?????

Sleep is number one. Do NOT let yourself become sleep deprived. Sleep deprivation will aggrevate every potential problem you face, most significantly, your physical and emotional health.

Exercise is also fundamental. At minimum, find time for walking.

There are plenty of other possibilities, but those two things are essential.

Just browsing the assorted responses here, it becomes clear that, like anything else, different things work for different people.

I have a VERY, VERY big yard and mowing does it for me. Whether I'm riding, pushing, using my old manual push mower or pulling my brush hog, I "get it all out" while mowing...or most any kind of yard/outdoor work. My maintained yard has gone from 1/3 acre to a full three acres from reading the posts in the "About The Way" forum and learning all the stuff that was REALLY going on in TWI while I was happily, vapidly and unknowingly saying "God Bless you" and praising the virtues of VPW and his "class" to others back in the day.

Thanks Paw, Groucho, DWBH et al! You guys have opened my eyes. SERIOUSLY!

Working out with weights is also very effective for me. I've gone from 30 curls at 50 lbs to 200 curls at 90 lbs per day just from reading Rocky's posts in the politics forum.

Thanks, Rocky!! Maybe this election year, they'll suspend the election and let you and me arm wrestle to decide the next POTUS. Ya think?

My third favorite is target practice with firearms. I mostly use my muzzleloader for that because it's loud and belches a lot of flame and smoke, is great catharsis and relatively inepensive to play with.

That's reserved for special occasions like when I do a job and have a hard time getting paid.

Just browsing the assorted responses here, it becomes clear that, like anything else, different things work for different people.

I have a VERY, VERY big yard and mowing does it for me. Whether I'm riding, pushing, using my old manual push mower or pulling my brush hog, I "get it all out" while mowing...or most any kind of yard/outdoor work. My maintained yard has gone from 1/3 acre to a full three acres from reading the posts in the "About The Way" forum and learning all the stuff that was REALLY going on in TWI while I was happily, vapidly and unknowingly saying "God Bless you" and praising the virtues of VPW and his "class" to others back in the day.

Thanks Paw, Groucho, DWBH et al! You guys have opened my eyes. SERIOUSLY!

Working out with weights is also very effective for me. I've gone from 30 curls at 50 lbs to 200 curls at 90 lbs per day just from reading Rocky's posts in the politics forum.

Thanks, Rocky!! Maybe this election year, they'll suspend the election and let you and me arm wrestle to decide the next POTUS. Ya think?

My third favorite is target practice with firearms. I mostly use my muzzleloader for that because it's loud and belches a lot of flame and smoke, is great catharsis and relatively inepensive to play with.

That's reserved for special occasions like when I do a job and have a hard time getting paid.

Glad to be of service... you and I are sooooooo alike in many ways... :biglaugh:

Some good ideas...thanks!

Hubby and I just got back from one of our FAVORITE de-stressing activities....no, it's not that...really.....is the gutter where you REALLY keep your mind??? (grin)

We go fishing almost every Sunday...we take a mini grill and fixings along and fish for most of the day. It is so relaxing to be out in the sun, together, pulling in some fiesty fish. We've made many a meal out of our catches and we both come back SO refreshed.

Of course, once winter is here....that will not be an option....hence the "fishing" for new de-stressing ideas.

My new job....forgot to tell you...I am teaching in a residential substance abuse facility for adolescent females ages 13 - 21. It will also be where I will do my internship for my masters in mental health counseling. (you have to go through all these sessions and clearances yourself before being able to work with these girls....counseling, lots of counseling and all kinds of drug and alcohol screenings.....it's great!!!! They even caught Listerine on one of the girls in my new employee orientation group....though I think they were just teasing her....) It is more than four times the money I was making at the job I started in September of last year and the people I work with are fantastic. (I no longer have to hide how twisted I am.) <evil grin>

I love the girls.....they have some impulse control issues, some boundary issues, and lots of problems knowing what to do with anger....but I wouldn't be doing anything else even if it paid ten times what I am now making.

Most days so far have been good....challenging, but good....there was a day when one of our girls tried to run...that was kind of intense...took over two hours to get her back in the program at an emotionally functional level.

Hence the search for de-stressors....I've always enjoyed cross-stitch....and reading...but with all the reading for the masters degree (classes start again this week), I won't WANT to read anything extra!!!

So thank you very much for your suggestions....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep them coming!!!!!

My new job....forgot to tell you...I am teaching in a residential substance abuse facility for adolescent females ages 13 - 21. It will also be where I will do my internship for my masters in mental health counseling. (you have to go through all these sessions and clearances yourself before being able to work with these girls....counseling, lots of counseling and all kinds of drug and alcohol screenings.....it's great!!!! They even caught Listerine on one of the girls in my new employee orientation group....though I think they were just teasing her....) It is more than four times the money I was making at the job I started in September of last year and the people I work with are fantastic. (I no longer have to hide how twisted I am.) <evil grin>

I love the girls.....they have some impulse control issues, some boundary issues, and lots of problems knowing what to do with anger....but I wouldn't be doing anything else even if it paid ten times what I am now making.

Most days so far have been good....challenging, but good....there was a day when one of our girls tried to run...that was kind of intense...took over two hours to get her back in the program at an emotionally functional level.

Bless your heart (and your physical and emotional health all around)! If you can do that without getting burned out, you will add sooooooooo much to the world and to the lives of those girls.

Volunteering at the child crisis shelter, for me is tremendously rewarding... but I only can take one day a week and that's with preschoolers... teen girls are as challenging as life gets.

Bless you, bless you, bless you!!!

and bless you again.

and btw, what you alluded to at the start of your post (the one this afternoon) is ALSO a key coping mechanism for dealing with stress!!! And don't you forget it! :)

I think I've decided on my de-stressing activity....it's actually one I used to do a lot, but when my hands begin to hurt/freeze up, I stopped. Now that I'm on (very strong) meds for the osteoarthritis and experience almost NO joint pain or freezing up....I'm gonna start cross-stitching again.

It will be great for the time after lunch when the girls in my residential facility are on recess outside or in the Group Room.

They already weave friendship bracelets, so my cross-stitching should fit right in. Heck, they may even start some cross stitch of their own!!!

Whatcha think?????

(btw Rocky.....that thing I alluded to that you alluded to for de-stressing...oh yeah....it is DEFINITELY a prime de-stressor!!!!! muhahaha)

Edited by Cindy!

I was just going to suggest cross stitching. Counted cross stitching and some Hardanger is a wonderful destressor for me. When I worked in that "school from hell" I found that it was sometimes a difficult pattern with many color changes was sometimes helpful because it "forced" me to concentrate on the pattern, therefore leaving my cares and woes.

Sometimes, a simple pattern, where the needle just stitched was the thing to do. The rhythm of the stitching was soothing and it didn't take very long before I felt normal again.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. My favorite, if you can get it, was a roll with honey. Don't leave home without it!

Dunno about all this stuff cross-stiching. Can be a great stressor when you realize you stitched something wrong several rows back and now your pattern doesn't fit together!

Seriously, though, cross-stitching is very absorbing.

Walking is a great release for me. Many fields and woods nearby. Always a release to walk out for a few hours and talk things over with my Dad.

I also do gardening and find that very relaxing, especially after a very busy or tense day at work.

If not walking, some other form of physical exercise.

When I was studying for my degree, I found squash a major release. I projected my frustrations and difficulties onto the squash ball and beat the heck out of it.

And if you use a computer at work, you might find it helpful to affix a photo(s) of people and/or pets and/or places that you love in the corner or stand a photo on your desk. It'll bring a smile to your face when you look at it.

Edited by Twinky

Often, stress reduction techniques for those who have medical problems arising due to stress, have to go beyond squeezy toys to achieve relief....relaxation processes like, deep breathing for stress relief, and mindful meditation such as focusing on relaxing your body by concentrating on breathing, muscle relaxation or sounds etc, are very helpful.

The Mayo clinic has a video with instructions for concentration stress relaxation here:

click here Mayo video

More tips from the Mayo:

Mayo tips

Here's some info regarding deep breathing for stress relief and more mindful meditation (the opposite of mantra meditation) at this website here:

Relaxation stress reducing techniques

Also, do a word search, in your favorite search engine, for "stress relaxation meditation" and there will be some good references there.

Good luck! I hope this helps...give us updates if you will, on what is working for you?