GreaseSpot Cafe

Spiritual Covering

This is all I hear about with the pentecostals. And so I read about it.

http://www.oasisfellowship.us/spiritual_covering.htm

How exactly does this work?

Doesn't God love and protect me without a leader "covering" for me? Kind of sounds like standing in the gap to me. I am not mocking it. And I had it explained, I just want to see what you all think.

Only "covering" I know of, is Christ's blood shed for our sins.... And in that, He was raised to be our Lord as head of the body, far above all prinicipalities, powers, etx... etc...

Is there something missing from that, which makes it not enough?! We now need some "other" person to fill in a gap that Christ never did?

I don't know of any... But am always willing to hear others ideas.

This is all I hear about with the pentecostals. And so I read about it.

http://www.oasisfellowship.us/spiritual_covering.htm

How exactly does this work?

Doesn't God love and protect me without a leader "covering" for me? Kind of sounds like standing in the gap to me. I am not mocking it. And I had it explained, I just want to see what you all think.

I was going to post immediately the first thought, that covering was your spiritual authority in the church over you. Then I clicked on your article. He makes good sense, because indeed that is exactly what does happen. Not that before I was ever into this covering thing. I have always felt that the Lord Yeshua is my covering and no one else.

We must study God's word and apply it to our lives. The Love of Christ can not be demonstrated without first obtaining knowledge of it through God's Word.

This, from that article, is simply not true.

It's saying that if you don't study you won't know the love of Christ.

As if God's Word is in the pages of the bible only.

The emphasis of these statements is study the bible.

Sure you can get a knowledge of what it says.

But interpreting that has lead to things that are not love at all.

But promoted as love.

Just claim your 'study', quote scriptures then abuse everyone.

Or worse.

Covering?

Where is THAT in the Church Epistles written to the members of the Body of Christ?

I think (not 100% sure) that this idea of "covering" came from the need to have a denominational support when you became ordained, i.e. "I am ordained through the United Methodists, etc." I'm not...just using it for an example. Then people should almost be able to tell where you stand theologically. However, it began to be spread abroad and it came to be equal to the non-ordained in the churches and that the church where you attended was your "covering." As far a marriage....this idea of "covering" comes from the Jewish wedding feast where they stand under a canopy and since so many believe that the husband is the head of the home....etc.....then poof! The husband becomes the covering of the wife.

There are elders among us but not over us, as well as gifts among us. In the midst of us are all the gifts, ministries, manifestations and elders.

No name tags, in fact they would be refused as knowing the changing of the winds and seasons.

It is nearly non-existant for a religious leader to not think it is their God given deeevine right, gift, ordination etc., to lord over people.

Since I left twi, I became so aware of that. Weeelll, that is one thing I am grateful I learned.

as a husband loves and protects his family, so does a godly leader love and protect those under his care.

There is such a thing as true leadership -- one who takes the care of his flock as a mandate from the Lord. A one such as this is known by humility and suffering that is not advertised. One must know this only by the Holy Spirit because a true leader doesnt boast of his sufferings, they happen because of how much the devil hates him.

There is an integrity to his words. He has paid the price to speak.

Some of us are fortunate to have known true leaders and to be under their covering, which is a true umbrella. Friends do this for us as well.

Billy Graham suffers for his love of his wife, Ruth, who was incapacitated for many years, and now he endures the loss of his beloved wife.

Watchman Nee suffered untold things but left the legacy of his integrity. This is the way of a true leader.

leading in some areas of living is a good quality

it's not a leadership stamp for life

though great is the rewards for all good things

giving does not equal receiving

giving is receiving

if a thing is done for receiving the reward is there

if it's done without thought of receiving

the gift is far more reaching then the former

reaching inside as well

leading happens

much to the surprise of the leader i think

so a leader can't think about leading but just be themselves

cause sometimes the leading is not there

----

a spiritual covering is something of the spirit

which is in us all

supporting each other

helping each other in our weakness' and struggles

helping others by direction from the spirit

not required to be repaid

Right early on in the article:

Where does the word "covering" come from? Who came up with the idea of covering? If the action of covering is true for today, is there a true example of it?

I understand that although covering is needed in the body of Christ...

Started from a premise and then looked for something to support it.

Didn't ask teh question, Is the action of covering true for today?

I don't know--though I like the fact that the pastor at my church has an older, more seasoned pastor who he considers his own pastor. So my pastor has a pastor.

I also like the fact that I have someone who is looking out for me and my walk with the Lord--but my pastor takes being a pastor very seriously, insists on developing a friendship first, does not give advice unless asked for and then sometimes still just points you in a general direction.

So maybe it can be a good thing--but I don't know if it is required.

seems to be something important here-

Isaiah 30

1Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin:

2That walk to go down into Egypt, and have not asked at my mouth; to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and to trust in the shadow of Egypt!

3Therefore shall the strength of Pharaoh be your shame, and the trust in the shadow of Egypt your confusion.

seems to be something important here-

Isaiah 30

1Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin:

2That walk to go down into Egypt, and have not asked at my mouth; to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and to trust in the shadow of Egypt!

3Therefore shall the strength of Pharaoh be your shame, and the trust in the shadow of Egypt your confusion.

The Holy Spirit is The Lord Jesus' spirit...so Amen and Amen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...