GreaseSpot Cafe

What Did "Full-Time" Corps Do?

Oakspear

There is a discussion on another thread about what staff did and how it contrasted with what the big-wigs did at HQ.

What about full-time TWI employees "in the field"? How did they spend their time?

I was still "in" when Martindale turned all Way Corps into full-time, salaried employees of TWI. At the time we had two married Way Corps couples in the state, one couple were the Limb Coordinators in Omaha, the other were the Lincoln Branch Coordinators. There were a total of four twigs in the whole state.

I never saw any of them do anything that rated being paid, nothing that a regular unpaid, non-Corps Twig Coordinator didn't do. Sure, they got up early and "studied the Word", but we were all supposed to do that; they witnessed, but we were all supposed to do that; they had blue forms, which every twig coordinator had to fill out.

All I saw was that not having to work a regular job freed them up to mind other people's business more thoroughly and efficiently.

But even before those days in the 90's, there were always Region Coordinators and guys who ran the larger limbs who were full time. hat the heck did these people do?

But even before those days in the 90's, there were always Region Coordinators and guys who ran the larger limbs who were full time. What the heck did these people do?

Well, I don't know about ALL of 'em, but the few I did know spent a goodly portion of their time beating their wives, beating their children, getting drunk, and going to "titty" bars. And, oh yeah, they also yelled at others a lot for their lack of spirituality...

Well, George, we lived in Everett at that time, not too far from where you hang your hat. (Love the Snohomish bike trail)!

The little couple who were there then ate out a LOT, many more times than we could have afforded on our meager paychecks. They also, after obtaining proper permission, had a baby.

But I do recall many incidents they repeated to us where they witnessed to a waitress or two.

Oh, yeah, and they did spend some time sticking their noses into others' business.

And I was once permitted the privilege of bringing a bunch of food over and cooking a fish dinner with homemade biscuits for them, at our expense, which the Man of God pronounced as not bad. (it was a helluva lot better than the scumbag deserved).

She whimpered about not being able to afford "nice things to put on her face and nice things to put on her hair" while I bought cosmetics and shampoo at Wal-Mart if I could afford them.

I can see how the ministry grew mightily due to their bold and fearless stand.

NOT!

WG

What about full-time TWI employees "in the field"? How did they spend their time?

Whatever it was. . . it wasn't. . . cleaning their own toilets--cutting their own grass--or watching their own kids.

It is good to be King.

to be fair, I knew one region coordinator couple who was not like that. they did a lot of things for themselves and for other people, at least when I knew them... nice things, like making breakfast for people for no particular reason. as for the coordinators who were too busy with ministry work to take care of their homes so needed believer "work days", most of their ministry work seemed to involve prying into peoples' lives, confronting and humiliating, and then spin-doctoring once they'd driven out the disobedient.

The ones that I knew who drew a salary, always seemed to have plenty of leisure time on their hands...

...As far as I can tell, the actual work they did was a part time job at most. I mean, how long does it take to fill out the blue form, send in the money and schedule a few meetings? ...most of them were lazy and arrogant...and felt entitled to take advantage of others.

i remember being sent to limb to help in the garden every weekend which was an hour and a half away

towards the end of the season the limb co asked me how my garden was doing{thiers was doing great}

i told him i had the worst garden in years.

he reamed me out,spit flying, and said my garden sucked cause of my lack of believing.

i calmly said no it sucks cause i am here every weekend in your garden and not in mine.

i walked off and went home never to pluck another weed from his garden

i remember being sent to limb to help in the garden every weekend which was an hour and a half away

towards the end of the season the limb co asked me how my garden was doing{thiers was doing great}

he reamed me out,spit flying, and said my garden sucked cause of my lack of believing.

i calmly said no it sucks cause i am here every weekend in your garden and not in mine.

Coolchef, since your reply is here in triplicate, should we take it that it was completely completely final when you gave up your volunteering in his garden? :biglaugh:

Good for you.Wish I had done the same.

When I first got involved in TW, I didn't know too many full-timers.

I was part of a branch. A full branch, seven twigs, none of these "paper" branches with two twigs and enough people for one small twig. The branch leader was a WOWvet, but had not been in the Corps, most of the twig leaders hadn't had the advanced class yet. We were part of an "area" that had nine or ten branches, none of the branch leaders had graduated from the Way Corps. One branch was a WOW branch led by an interim Corps guy. The area leader was on his interim corps assignment. He might have been full time, I only talked to him once in a year, so I'm not sure. The limb leader was John Lynn, and I only had personal contact once with him in 2 1/2 years.

This was during a time when TWI was actively expanding, PFAL classes were running "back-to-back" and new people were popping up regularly. It seems to me that full-time staff during that time spent a lot of time travelling around visiting different twigs, teaching meetings, etc.

When I went out as a WOW the scale was smaller, but there were two decent sized branches, one in each of the two largest cities, and twigs, sometimes two, in most of the medium-sized cities as well as seven or eight WOW families and about the same amount of WOWvet Way Homes. The LC spent a lot of his time travelling around.

Fast forward to the nineties. A total of four twigs. We had a full time LC couple and a full time BC couple. No travelling involved. A lot of busy work.

One of the stupidest was when they were instructed to witness for three hours every day and "teach" us poor stupid twiggies how to witness. We had people who had single-handedly put together film classes of 25 people, we had a woman who with one other gal had driven to her mother's house one weekend, convinced her mom, sister, niece and assorted cousins to take PFAL, and a month later had established a twig that lasted for years. We had another person who had built a small anemic twig into a branch. We had people who knew how to witness, TWI style. But they were going to teach us. That mainly consisted of getting ion people's faces and "confronting" them.

Ah...the good ol' days

Watching soap operas and cop dramas can really help you get a handle on life itself?

Things went south in a hurry, I bet.

When Mr & Mrs 2Life were our twig leaders, they NEVER locked their door or took the phone off the hook. One never knew what stray person just sort of showed up, was given a meal, a bed, and friendship. They lived their twig.

Fast Forward to the 1990's and you got Mr. & Mrs. WC 18 or so, prim and proper, here to hold forth the Present Truth, living off the ABS, bitching because it's not enough for designer cosmetics, and eating out all the time, and having NO CLUE what life is all about outside of the rosy world they inhabit.

SAD, SAD, SAD.

WG

Fast forward to the nineties. A total of four twigs. We had a full time LC couple and a full time BC couple. No travelling involved. A lot of busy work.

One of the stupidest was when they were instructed to witness for three hours every day and "teach" us poor stupid twiggies how to witness.

Ah...the good ol' days

Obviously you weren't getting something right. (tongue firmly in cheek)

This reminds me... when they did put all the corps on full-time status our LC wanted to travel around the state to visit all the twigs and he was told NO by the RC. Something about focusing on his own back yard. (I'm quite sure the truth was that twi didn't want to spend the money.) How stupid. You are supposedly a full-time minister but you aren't allowed to go visit your flock? Duh....